Spring 2017 mtb tires thread

qclabrat

So what is everybody using this Spring?
Obviously conditions and locations dictate the setup, but do your tire choices change depending on your bike? (lets talk regular tires, not fat) Meaning, is there a reason you would choose different tires for a SS vs FS vs HT if the tire size is the same, riding in the same park and conditions.

Here's what I plan to start with this season:

FS: Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear
SS: Racing Ralph front and rear
HT: Nobby Nic front, Geax Gato rear

Dampfs are Trailstar and Nics and Ralphs are Pacestar

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
latest

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The FS went from Racing Ralph's to Maxxis Tomahawks and the super light wheels swapped for more Hippo appropriate ones.:oops:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Too poor to have multiple tires.

HT: Nics front and back
FS: Nics up front and some kenda in rea because I can't find decent priced 650 2.1 tires.

qclabrat

Too poor to have multiple tires.

HT: Nics front and back
FS: Nics up front and some kenda in rea because I can't find decent priced 650 2.1 tires.

did you pick up those 2.0 Nics for $10 at Jenson for 27.5?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I'm waiting for the new Recon+ 29 x 2.6 to come out. I want more than a 2.4 up front on the rigid SS but the 3.0 chronicle I have is just too big. It messes up the geo cuz the biggest I can get in the back is a 2.35. I tried the minion 2.5 but it felt like I was dragging the front brake the whole time.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
DHF on the front, Aggressors or DHR's on the back. Every time I experiment with something other than Maxxis, its an exercise in wasting money. Conti Trail Kings have good volume and are good in the dry, but add any moisture and traction disappears, cornering becomes a dive in and pray situation. I tried the new Schwalbe Nics, and in addition to the tires starting to wear out in 2 weeks, the sidewalls are apparently made out of spaghetti. Magic Mary is good, however its heavy and HRII or DHF are a better front tire in my opinion, both corner better. I heard that some of the WTB tires are ok, but never tried them. This time I'd rather learn from someone else's experimentation.

Top Bottom