Spoke-N-Nerds Podcast Thread

It's PAT! Episode 34 is up, y'all.

1534504452322.png

ya gotta do it right! Pat was here.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Norm how did i get credit for telling you that you missed halters? it wasnt me, it was @ekuhn.

I appreciate the shout-out, but dont want to take undue credit.

You still forgot Halter's at the end of show sponsor shout out.

the only thing i did was find @seanrunnette a dropper post that should work for him only to figure out all i had to do was stop by and show him how to use a tape measure . . .

EDIT: also (and it seems i either miss sarcasm or am the only one with this problem, not sure which cause its still early and i havnt finished my coffee yet) i had all due to try and hear @fidodie when he was talking, you and sean were fine, pat was barely audible, and i had the radio turned WAYYYY up

Finally catching up here, just finished enjoying Episode 33 1/3
1) CBD- I use CBD ointment for my elephant stump of a knee. I have to say, I find it helpful.
But what @The Kalmyk said: the market is like the wild west right now.
It's hot, so there are a ton of different products out there, and so many variants and claims that it is impossible to make a clear comparison between any 2 given products.
A friend recommended a certain brand (CBD Clinic- Level 4), and after a few days down the rabbit hole catacombs, I just gave up and made a faith based order.
Again, I have found it helpful for pain and swelling.
2) Coconut La Croix - @Mrs Manic totally digs coconut La Croix. This explains how I was able to make the cut.
And pimplemoose.
3) Sidewalk - my yard is where the sidewalk ends (literally).

Can't wait to groove on the three stooges that are NormPatSean on the commute home.

Nice interview with Pat. (Yes, the mic. could have turned up a bit) I knew he ran...didn't know just how much. So Pat, what's the ultimate goal? Boston?

Yea i did say it. @shrpshtr325 took the hit. The good news is that we actually listen!

Sound quality was right on. So clear could hear the dog scratching the chain on its neck.

@fidodie cool to hear about the marathon prep and training. Never noticed on strava that you weren’t actually riding, but jogging for fun. mtbnj back office talk was fun.

Cat talk and all I could think about was @seanrunnette ‘s wrapped gift at the kids party.

No La Croix.

Next time keep this to a minimum.

3E27A27C-C171-401D-A037-46D319BE06A1.gif

Nice interview with Pat. (Yes, the mic. could have turned up a bit) I knew he ran...didn't know just how much. So Pat, what's the ultimate goal? Boston?

To finish in under 4 hours without requiring surgery afterwards. Thanks @seanrunnette , I need that thought to creep in while training ;).
I'd have to knock off about 1 minute per mile from there for Boston (around 3:35 would get me in) which doesn't seem realistic.
If by some miracle i run sub 3:50, I'd consider continuing training, and enter another qualifier next year. Going to take quite a bit to get there tho.

I did not do my long run over the weekend. I am riding my MTB on Friday. Conservatively.

--
Sean was going to give my track the 101.5 reverb treatment. I was sitting a bit too far from the mic.
- at some point @Norm opens a seltzer, my w1f3 wants to know if we were drinking beer.

i said bought instead of brought (is brang a word?) when talking about @KenS
He did not pay people to listen.

On the swim-run, https://www.trisignup.com/Race/NJ/Randolph/GardenStateSwimRun
it was co sponsored by NYARA - and Paramount Multisport. Aaron and John do a great job laying out the course.
Paramount provides the volunteers, and logistic support. DJB Events (Dan Brannen) provided support equipment, and MTBNJ lent their podiums.
Course was 4 runs, 4 swims and scurry up a hill to finish, 1 lap was 10ish miles. Elite wave did two laps.
It is adventure racing light. No mountaineering skills, but most obstacles on the trails are left in place. Loose rocks and sticks in the corners are cleared.
There are trail markings, and swim entry/midpoint/exit markings - but the volunteers are not there to keep people on-course.

I should note that I said the Courain Boys, and this does not do justice to the role that Aly plays on the team. My apologies.

Splash-n-dash is 1 swim, 1 run. Good event that avoids the event logistics of a bike course, and cost to the participant.
Aqua-Velo (aqua-bike) - for those whose body can't take the pounding of a a run anymore.
duathlon - run-bike-run, most of us are familiar ? for those who are not interested in being kicked in the head while swimming
Adventure racing - get handed a map at 8pm, plan to leave at sunrise. mountaineer, trek, run, paddle, ride, lots of decisions to make while sleep deprived.

WW1 Museum and Memorial - war is hell.
Joe's BBQ - you will want to go here on your visit to KC

Runner's Haven is in Randolph.
Runner's World/Jackrabbit is in Morristown

Some info on rotating shoes - good for both the shoes and the body.

Thank you for the invite fellas! Hopefully i can lend a hand at some point with the temporary installation of clandestine bathroom.
Will bring concrete saw, i'm sure that won't draw attention to the project.

And thank you to all my sponsors, keep the checks rolling in. A first one would be a nice start.

Last edited:
Episode 34 California water. Vicland had a good show about the salton sea . That's a huge problem out there.

the salton sea is not a huge problem. it wasn't supposed to be there. for 1/100000 the cost of a b-whatever bomber they could buy all the properties, plow it under, and be done with it. dust-to-dust.

as far as owens lake - if they are irrigating it, they can grow on it - even if it is dessert grass. once established, that would mitigate the dust - not that i'm happy they drained a lake,
but they could make the people whole with a cash payout/relo. insensitive? maybe - solution? yes.

why would you pump salt water inland? that turns into a salty disaster, cause it only gets more concentrated.

more alarmists. this is someone who is anti-city. yeah, LA is a cluster-f. but it isn't going anywhere.

eventually they will figure out de-sal at a larger scale. or the ability to make water as a by-product of energy production (fuel cell, fission)
it just has to become economical.

is this the podcast thread? does each podcast need to have its own discussion?
am i being over sensitive?

maybe Ken did pay off listeners......

Norm- At the Natural Products Expo this year there was a lot of talk about “eating down the food chain”- insect protein and vegetable derivatives. Please fact check me on this but I believe the faux blood on the veggie burgers you mentioned are from a soy root.

Pat, good luck with the marathon. Avoid the sheep phenomenon that usually happens early in huge events like Chicago. Hey- could you link me to last years winter riding competition? Can’t find it anywhere

Last edited:
Norm- At the Natural Products Expo this year there was a lot of talk about “eating down the food chain”- insect protein and vegetable derivatives. Please fact check me on this but I believe the faux blood on the veggie burgers you mentioned are from a soy root.

Pat, good luck with the marathon. Avoid the sheep phenomenon that usually happens early in huge events like Chicago. Hey- could you link me to last years winter riding competition? Can’t find it anywhere

Thanks!

What is this sheep thing you speak of? can i eat it?

Looks like you found the BIYF thread....some entertainment in there.

Thanks!

What is this sheep thing you speak of? can i eat it?

Looks like you found the BIYF thread....some entertainment in there.

Shooting out like a cannon- or the polar opposite of a negative split . Got it from my wife. I know zero about running.

BIYF- never payed close attention to it but it looks like a fun challenge. Ready for a winter boot thread

Last edited:
Shooting out like a cannon- or the polar opposite of a negative split . Got it from my wife. I know zero about running.

BIYF- never payed close attention to it but it looks like a fun challenge. Ready for a winter boot thread

planning a negative split. including the last 25% being faster than the first. it might be 2:00/1:55, or 1:50/1:45....never know!

Please fact check me on this but I believe the faux blood on the veggie burgers you mentioned are from a soy root.
I'm not done listening to this epi yet, but if it's the Beyond Meat burgers, I think they use beet juice to simulate blood.
I've tried them, and they are legit good.

Back
Top Bottom