Speaking of resurrections...

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
...an old book of mine was brought back to me this week. I went through a phase as a kid, one of many such phases depending on what my friends or siblings were into. Some lasted into present day, like my love for old heavy metal as well as '80s new wave. This one relates to breakdancing.

As a suburban kid in the early '80s in a middle class town, there weren't a ton of ways to learn how to break dance, and in the world before the interwebz and youtubes, the options were limited. Pretty much go into the city and get killed (Manhattan was a much different place in the early 80s than the current state of Disney now), or go to see "Breakin', the movie" at the local theatre and try to copy them. But then, there was a book, a "How To" if you would, of how to bust out all.of those bad ass moves on my own piece of cardboard or linoleum scrap.

I just felt the need to share this re-found treasure with the world. Below are a couple shots from this gem. So tell me, what was your go-to move? The Worm? The Backspin?

20180401_162826.jpg
20180401_162835.jpg
20180401_162940.jpg
20180401_162921.jpg20180401_162907.jpg

...an old book of mine was brought back to me this week. I went through a phase as a kid, one of many such phases depending on what my friends or siblings were into. Some lasted into present day, like my love for old heavy metal as well as '80s new wave. This one relates to breakdancing.

As a suburban kid in the early '80s in a middle class town, there weren't a ton of ways to learn how to break dance, and in the world before the interwebz and youtubes, the options were limited. Pretty much go into the city and get killed (Manhattan was a much different place in the early 80s than the current state of Disney now), or go to see "Breakin', the movie" at the local theatre and try to copy them. But then, there was a book, a "How To" if you would, of how to bust out all.of those bad ass moves on my own piece of cardboard or linoleum scrap.

I just felt the need to share this re-found treasure with the world. Below are a couple shots from this gem. So tell me, what was your go-to move? The Worm? The Backspin?

View attachment 66448
View attachment 66449
View attachment 66450
View attachment 66451View attachment 66453
I just sent you a text. Someone hacked your account!

Last edited:
Videos of you break dancing please, or this thread is useless :p
C'mon @JimN ...we didn't have no stinking video recorder machines back then lol. And I couldn't do anything like that anymore without a trip to the chiropractor, and possibly the ER

I remember the street breakers back in the 80s in Manhattan. Best use of empty compound bucket.

Holy fuck.
I totally owned that book, and at one point lined my bedroom with an 8'x8' piece of linoleum.
And cut out a piece of wax paper for my turntable.
There's more, but I'll save it to chat about over beers.

Holy fuck.
I totally owned that book, and at one point lined my bedroom with an 8'x8' piece of linoleum.
And cut out a piece of wax paper for my turntable.
There's more, but I'll save it to chat about over beers.
Wait...what?!? They printed more than one copy?

In that case, i'll drop some more pics of other moves

Only white people need a book to learn how to break dance.
In my HS, in the 80s we had a pep rally that included break dancing(to White Lines). My school was 90% white, no white kids where allowed to break dance cause they sucked at it.
I was always a fan of the scramble.

Back
Top Bottom