South Mountain Reservation

They step up patrol after finding a dead deer in the woods but not when they found a dead guy in a suitcase.

Back in the day we used to ride in here. Used to have some great trails. Back then, some "nice" people used to string fishing line about head high to catch the riders!
I heard from someone that was in there not long ago that the majority of the old trails were a mess, overgrown, and not maintained.
We had many a good time in that park. May-be someday we will be allowed in there again.

SSSShhhhh don't tell anyone but this is my where I ride 3x/week. Awesome trails are still there and maintained almost exclusively by the hand full of devoted mt. bikers. I hope the animal ritual club moves on to another park.

Join those who will say they made it happen..

JUST A REMINDER:
TO JOIN US THIS SUNDAY FOR THE OCTOBER 2009 TRAIL WORK DAY AT SOUTH MOUNTAIN
We will meet at the Essex County Maintenance Area (on the eastbound side of South Orange Avenue, just east of Brookside Drive). We’ll be starting work on a new section of the Elmdale (Blue) trail which will connect the Elmdale trail to the Rahway trail. The work area is about ½ mile south of South Orange Avenue, just off Brookside Drive. NOTE: Brookside Drive is closed to vehicular traffic from 7:00-12:00 p.m. Sunday mornings. Plan your trip accordingly.
When: We will meet Essex County Maintenance Area at 8:45AM, walk to the trail and begin working at 9:00AM, finishing by Noon
What to Bring: Work gloves and a friend. We supply tools and water.
In the event of rain, call 973-768-5606 after 7:00 AM on Sunday and listen to message. Trail work is ON unless message specifically states it is cancelled
Happy Trails…..
Don Schatz
South Mountain Conservancy

Accessing Essex County Maintenance Area – Traveling eastbound on South Orange Avenue, the Maintenance Area will be on your right 200 yards east of the intersection of South Orange Avenue and Brookside Drive/Cherry Lane. Turn right onto the gravel road and bear right when you see the salt “dome”. Continue on this road towards the maintenance buildings on your right. We will park near the gas pumps.
NOTE: Brookside Drive is closed to vehicular traffic from 7:00-12:00 p.m. Sunday mornings. Plan your trip accordingly.

So what's the scoop here? Are they going to allow mtn bikes here with all the JORBA support on their trails?

I've tried to voice my opinion to Jorba but they aren't interested in my opinion.
Trying to get biking in South Mountain is like a a D-Day invasion right into Berlin.
You need to start where nobody would notice, get a foot in like Normandy, or say Hilltop Reservation where nobody will go, and nobody will complain, and nobody is there to put up a fight.

That would be perfect!

Except it's in Essex county, where fun is illegal and frowned upon.

Now go back in the mall and spend money, what are you doing outside in the first place?

Back
Top Bottom