Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
July 11 and that place still hasn't completely dried out yet - a few thick mud holes in spots - amazing.

Anywho, cleared a branch down on the ridiculous C trail climb from the end of new shoes. Further up tho, a giant branch is blocking the trail. Not high priority as not many people (bikers, hikers or runners) use that section.

And the great news - berry season!

Main course of blackberries

36542225_472320339875105_59374632922251264_n.jpg

Dessert course - wineberries. I think I ate over a pint in total

36713601_540432796408003_5288270502874316800_n.jpg

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
A few spots of mud but otherwise fine. Two trees down on the north side of white that need a chainsaw to clear - one before boulderama (where some lady looked like she sprained her ankle trying to get over it) and a larger one down near the bottom.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hey it only took 8 months but this place has finally completely dried out. Tree still down on white before boulderama (going clockwise) - that's the only blockage in the park.

estimate size of said tree please....
bigger than a bread box?

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
@rick81721 (or anyone else who's ridden there recently) please let me know if you have any suggestions for the TM on 9/15. I haven't been there since the last TM.

rick81721

Lothar
@rick81721 (or anyone else who's ridden there recently) please let me know if you have any suggestions for the TM on 9/15. I haven't been there since the last TM.

I've ridden everything the last week or so. Not much to do other than that tree down on white before boulderama. Maybe some trimming. And for the second time I got turned around on chunky monkey - the last turn to the left before the little creek is difficult to follow (a little less than 0.6 miles from the beginning of the trail according to strava). A big tree has a double blue marker signaling a turn but then there are no tree markers for awhile to guide you. Ended up going backwards today.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I've ridden everything the last week or so. Not much to do other than that tree down on white before boulderama. Maybe some trimming. And for the second time I got turned around on chunky monkey - the last turn to the left before the little creek is difficult to follow (a little less than 0.6 miles from the beginning of the trail according to strava). A big tree has a double blue marker signaling a turn but then there are no tree markers for awhile to guide you. Ended up going backwards today.

Thanks for the recon, Rick. Were you riding Chunkey clockwise? If so, I think i know the spot where you got turned around, and i think there was a marker on a tree before the creek but that tree fell. The tree on Boulderama, is that "before" when riding clockwise (AKA close to 3 Amigos and Marker 4)? Is it just a trunk or a mess of branches? And where is trimming the most needed?
http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/genInfo/maps/SourlandsMap.pdf

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions