Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Did a recon run and was frankly shocked - the ridge (white) trail is completely clear except for a small elevated tree that can be easily taken out with a handsaw about 1.1 miles from the trailhead going clockwise. Someone with a chainsaw cleared the few bigger trees that came down but I guess most of the trees that were coming down did so in the last 2 years. Didn't venture on red/3 amigos but from what I saw I can't imagine it much worse. Mud in the usual spots on top and bottom but other than that trails are in great shape. I'd say a few weeks of relative warmth, some sun and wind (and not much rain) and it'll be good to go.

Did a recon run and was frankly shocked - the ridge (white) trail is completely clear except for a small elevated tree that can be easily taken out with a handsaw about 1.1 miles from the trailhead going clockwise. Someone with a chainsaw cleared the few bigger trees that came down but I guess most of the trees that were coming down did so in the last 2 years. Didn't venture on red/3 amigos but from what I saw I can't imagine it much worse. Mud in the usual spots on top and bottom but other than that trails are in great shape. I'd say a few weeks of relative warmth, some sun and wind (and not much rain) and it'll be good to go.
So they in great shape but not good to ride on?

6MR was good Sunday/Monday so I'm assuming Sourlands was too. If we don't get much rain between now and the weekend i'm sure it will be fine (and packed with hikers)

6MR was good Sunday/Monday so I'm assuming Sourlands was too. If we don't get much rain between now and the weekend i'm sure it will be fine (and packed with hikers)

The last few years the sourlands lagged 6mr by 2 weeks or so. The mountain holds alot of water, but I'm still hopeful it will be ok this weekend

Still a few sections of muck on the bottom, but I'd give it a 3. Def rideable. I'd avoid chunky monkey for a few more weeks tho, it's a mess about 2/3 in from red trail - very difficult to even see where it's going. I cleared a bunch of branches.

On red I cut out an elevated downed tree with the silky - pretty hard wood so it was about the limit for my saw - guns were burning when I was done. There's another that needs clearing on the other side of the pipeline but didn't have time. A hand saw can clear it.

29740585_160019978002708_4144952485011783680_n.jpg

Also did my annual attempt to close off the hikers short-cut on white before roaring rocks. A losing battle but there were some big tree tops broken off near by so piled them up.

Did a recon run today - I guess we got a lot more rain last night than I realized. It's a mess, yet there were clowns out there riding.

With current forecast, however, I'd say maybe Wednesday afternoon.

PS they re-did the parking lot - no longer a free-for-all, they put up wood barricades to denote where to park in the middle of the lot, plus left open a lane for emergency vehicles to get right through. The lot was expanded to the south but probably overall will hold the same number of vehicles. Also added a new sign at the trail head.

Did a recon run today - I guess we got a lot more rain last night than I realized. It's a mess, yet there were clowns out there riding.

With current forecast, however, I'd say maybe Wednesday afternoon.

It just never seemed to dry out yet this spring before the next rainstorm hits. I haven't been to Sourlands yet in 2018. #Sad

PS they re-did the parking lot - no longer a free-for-all, they put up wood barricades to denote where to park in the middle of the lot, plus left open a lane for emergency vehicles to get right through. The lot was expanded to the south but probably overall will hold the same number of vehicles. Also added a new sign at the trail head.

Damn, they really need it to hold more cars. Place gets nuts on weekend. Rick, any hand-saw-worthy trees you encountered or other trail fixes or pruning needed? My weekdays are free these days and I owe Sourlands some TM for good karma.

Damn, they really need it to hold more cars. Place gets nuts on weekend. Rick, any hand-saw-worthy trees you encountered or other trail fixes or pruning needed? My weekdays are free these days and I owe Sourlands some TM for good karma.

No trees to contend with but the pickers are reaching out into the trail already. That's always an annual spring exercise

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions