Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

afternoons on a beautiful day can get CRAZY with the amount of people on the trail. i don't like to be on the trail any time after 9am on the weekends. its just too many people.

While I agree, I still don't usually see all that many people to the left of the pipeline on weekend afternoons. Seems like most hiking traffic goes stragiht up #1 so if you went clock-wise and took the C back down it wouldn't be that bad, IMO.

Thanks for advice. Stayed on left side the whole ride up to three amigos to pipeline and turned around and came back same way. Saw 4 people even though parking lot was jammed. Question is trail 4 for downhill section as ridable as turning around like I did? ie three amigos, 7, 10

Thanks for advice. Stayed on left side the whole ride up to three amigos to pipeline and turned around and came back same way. Saw 4 people even though parking lot was jammed. Question is trail 4 for downhill section as ridable as turning around like I did? ie three amigos, 7, 10

Do you mean if you take a right at the 4 marker and head down from there? That would put you on to 5 and into 6, which has a couple of the gnarlier rock gardens in the park (although that's a competitive category). This would loop you around to a section that eventually connects back down to the end of New Shoes (if you were going up to Roaring Rocks you'd be coming down from your right on the white trail). It would be a pretty fun little loop - though challenging - and doubt you'd see any hikers on it. More trafficked shortcut down woudl be the C trail that would go off ot your right if you stayed left whereh the 4 marker appears. J-Dro and team have done some pretty extensive work on this area and it's a fun downhill, though shorter and likely prone to more foot traffic coming up. Hope this helps.

Primo today - just a few slick roots and bridges. All the trees on C coming down from marker 4 are cleared, that one bridge still needs repair.

Other than leafaggedon on the trails, there's a tree down on white before the pipeline. Didn't venture on red yet

media

There's a tree down on red going clockwise just before the pipeline. A hand saw can clean it, I wasn't carrying mine.

rode Tuesday CCW and Today CW. So dope. It's silly fun both ways and it's laughable how you can get tripped up on stupid shit. Get at it!

26er :cool:

Frozen goodness with a dusting of snow on top this morning. I got first bike tracks but some hikers were out super early. The very bottom trails were only 1/2 frozen in a bunch of spots on the way up and a little worse on the way out but really just the bottom 100 yards or so and the grass around the parking lot. Bonus was not too many hikers today! New trail is riding well as an out-and-back for now but I'm antsy to get it complete!

Was out hiking Sat 1/21 and it was pretty soggy, even the upper trails. Needs a few dry/windy/sunny days to dry out. Or a deep freeze but then there'd probably be a lot of ice.

Hiked Sourlands today. The upper White trails by the boulders and down to the Red trail was perfect. Red trails were good, a few tacky/gummy sections but not bad. Lower White on the far side of pipeline was a muddy mess. I'd still give it a 2.0 since there aren't too many good alternate routes to get to the dry trails without going on the lower muddy trails - and it was a mess in a lot of spots.

went for a HIKE today at sourlands. Was surprised at how mushy the trails were! Even though at the time (2pmish) it was 30 degrees with a chilly wind, the trails were a mushy muddy mess. DEEP mud too. Was even more surprised to actually see 2 fellas out RIDING.

Not ready for prime time yet. I'd give it another week. Very wet and muddy on the bottom. Even if you tried to take the pipeline to the top you'd get your bike muddy. Of course clowns ride anyway. Some bozo was pulling out of the lot as we came in - his bike was covered with mud.

17881183_426033347756632_199357723156938752_n.jpg

Tree needs to be taken out

17818360_1244699842292863_4332914921198059520_n.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions