Sourlands Fun Ride - 6/7

Mountain Bike Mike

When I was there this past weekend. I had fun sessioning sections... Go for it, screw up, go back, try it again, screw up, go back, try it again.... See a different line - screw that up, and over and over.. then walk it...

This could be fun as a group... Busting stones, heckling, cheering (@walter can bring his pom poms), coaching...

Edit - just stumbled upon several youtube videos of Sourland sessions... So this isn't a new idea ;)

rick81721

Lothar
When I was there this past weekend. I had fun sessioning sections... Go for it, screw up, go back, try it again, screw up, go back, try it again.... See a different line - screw that up, and over and over.. then walk it...

This could be fun as a group... Busting stones, heckling, cheering (@walter can bring his pom poms), coaching...

Edit - just stumbled upon several youtube videos of Sourland sessions... So this isn't a new idea ;)

Yeah this would be great - I remember riding once with Dave, Pat and Mike and they actually spotted some of the ridiculous parts that I wouldn't even try alone.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
spotting helps tons i think. i did when i was bouldering, same deal just with a bike. especially on the alt lines. the rock gardens i will work solo. the stuff where i'm up high on something and could teeter to the left or right and have more than a couple feet between me and landing is when i stop if i'm solo. heck, i'm not even doing that stuff now with people hahaha.

Mountain Bike Mike

Good to see the Sourlands getting some love. I'll join in the midweek festivities when I can but I can't usually get there til around 6.

ok. The consensus seems to be 6pm... May be an early shift / late shift type thing like Woody and PoorIggy do for CR Thursdays.. They ride early and swing back to the lot and pick up the later crew...

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
ok. The consensus seems to be 6pm... May be an early shift / late shift type thing like Woody and PoorIggy do for CR Thursdays.. They ride early and swing back to the lot and pick up the later crew...

do a loop, bomb the pipeline and head back up. good plan.

schedule one for june 17 or 24 and i'm definitely in.

Off The Road Again

Sounds like a great idea! Love SL, and the more I ride it the easier it seems. Still one of the toughest places to ride but riding with others who know the correct lines over the techy stuff better would be good. Know the trails well and when/where the tech sections are, yet end up walking the same stuff because I'm not seeing others ride it.
5:30 / 6:00 start works better for me.

Mountain Bike Mike

@BrianGT3 and I rode for about an hour yesterday. Ran in to @rick81721 in the parking lot as we were wrapping up the ride.

Brian showed me some of his usual segments and also some ninja lines. We spent some time trying to ride them. We would stop, look it over, walk them, try it two three times or until we were able to ride them or not and then move on to another section. And in between try not to dab or put a foot down but each time we did or get thrown off line, we would laugh and bust balls / heckle. Good times.

By the end of the ride, I was finally getting the hang of being smooth through the rocks, we were cruising and hucking over shit and I can honestly say I had a sincere smile on my face. So much fun was had. I could've rode another lap but I needed to get home. I felt like I was just getting warmed up.

Thankfully, I made it out without any bodily carnage - WIN. The bike got banged up doe - a few more scratches on the chainstays and cranks - Badges of honor IMO.

Talked to the wife last night about doing these once a week (Marital Bargaining Unit Negotiation Discussion - MBUND) and once Little league is over (like another week or so) plus some other demands / stipulations, I was cleared for 1-2 nights a week after work for rides. I'm thinking a Sourlands ride and some others like:

CR Thursdays
Wissahicken Wednesdays
Possibly White Clay, Neshaminy, Water Co / Baldpate

Next week, I'll kick off the Sourland Sessions ride in the forum.. Looks like @clarkenstein requested Friday next week... We'll probably do the early / later shift thing.. Stay tuned.

BrianGT3

Had a blast yesterday riding the rocks with you, Sourlands is always a good time. First time riding my 100mm travel aggresive geo XC bike made it even more entertaining (poor bike)

I probably can't make next Friday, very similar to your MBU's I have the close cousin: RBU's (Relationship Bargaining Units), I promised the GF we'd head up to the lake cabin next Fri for a weekend escape.

If midweek i'm in. Start around 5pm for advanced ninja trail riding starting with rocky lungblaster climb. 6pm up the pipeline then to the left for some of the "tamer" features of sourlands.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
all that trail work and you want to climb the pipeline :D:D

scratchhead.gif

here is an interesting one - do your ride in reverse, cross the pipeline to the old trail (mid-mountain), make the 1st downhill, and an outer loop at the bottom. then come back and run it - see if you can ride it faster than you can run it....

Mountain Bike Mike

Had a blast yesterday riding the rocks with you, Sourlands is always a good time. First time riding my 100mm travel aggresive geo XC bike made it even more entertaining (poor bike)

I probably can't make next Friday, very similar to your MBU's I have the close cousin: RBU's (Relationship Bargaining Units), I promised the GF we'd head up to the lake cabin next Fri for a weekend escape.

If midweek i'm in. Start around 5pm for advanced ninja trail riding starting with rocky lungblaster climb. 6pm up the pipeline then to the left for some of the "tamer" features of sourlands.

Depending on who shows up, we may want to revisit that Rocky Lung Buster climb - That climb is a piece of shit. I don't want to scare people away from this ride. You and I are sick fucks who enjoy the torture, I'm not sure there are many others who would welcome that as a warm up to their fun ride :)

Mountain Bike Mike

all that trail work and you want to climb the pipeline :D:D

scratchhead.gif

here is an interesting one - do your ride in reverse, cross the pipeline to the old trail (mid-mountain), make the 1st downhill, and an outer loop at the bottom. then come back and run it - see if you can ride it faster than you can run it....

I'm of the mindset - who ever shows up and has an idea for a loop - let's do it. Each person has a preference, each week try something different.

Top Bottom