Sourlands Area Roads Updates

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
we get trail updates, why not road condition updates? i know this won't be as updated as often as the conditions threads, but why the hell not start one. this probably would have been more helpful this winter. post up if you know there's a bridge out, if a dirt road (like aunt molly) is in unrideable condition, tar and chip has been thrown down somewhere, or if there's a pot hole the size of jupiter we should look out for.

anyway, i came across a surprise on my ride this morning - east mountain road going south from 514 is closed off at mountain ave. so if you were hoping to go past the sourlands preserve entrance to 601 starting from mountain view - you're SOL.

rick81721

Lothar
we get trail updates, why not road condition updates? i know this won't be as updated as often as the conditions threads, but why the hell not start one. this probably would have been more helpful this winter. post up if you know there's a bridge out, if a dirt road (like aunt molly) is in unrideable condition, tar and chip has been thrown down somewhere, or if there's a pot hole the size of jupiter we should look out for.

anyway, i came across a surprise on my ride this morning - east mountain road going south from 514 is closed off at mountain ave. so if you were hoping to go past the sourlands preserve entrance to 601 starting from mountain view - you're SOL.

Jeez Dave thats been closed for more than a month! Good idea though. FYI Hollow road is more washboard than ever - my bike feels like its going to vibrate to pieces coming down that POS

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Jeez Dave thats been closed for more than a month! Good idea though. FYI Hollow road is more washboard than ever - my bikes feels like its going to vibrate to pieces coming down that POS

goes to show how much i've been out :p

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
making it a little less sharp I hope

High bank, FTW

i have this mental pic of a bridge near the turn just after the parking lot - maybe ride over there now!

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
FYI Hollow road is more washboard than ever - my bike feels like its going to vibrate to pieces coming down that POS

Thats why I only ever ride UP hollow road. Great road going up but sucks balls going down.

rick81721

Lothar
Thats why I only ever ride UP hollow road. Great road going up but sucks balls going down.

Yeah unfortunately my usual routes that's the only way home except for the gravel section of dutchtown-zion - but that's been too wet recently. When it dries out I'll go that way

rick81721

Lothar
E. Mountain road update - don't let the signs fool you - you can ride (and drive) all the way through, at least when they aren't working on it (like today). Long section of dirt road but it's smooth. That turn is gonna be nice - and they seem to be doing something else there - they are clearing a much wider area.

PS Pat you're right there is a little creek going under the road at that last turn before SMP - probably dries up in the summer but there's water flowing now.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Roads were generally dry, with the occasional wetness making its way from one side of the road to the other near the top of long-hill/zion.

Lots of loose stone spread at the ends of driveways, and culverts that spilt over. watch the corners.

as an aside, came across a fellow that was planning on riding every road in Hunterdon county this summer. Didn't recognize the kit, maybe WAW ?
Anyway, if you know him, wish him luck!

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Roads are a mess! East Mountain is closed right at Mountain View from a downed power line.

rick81721

Lothar
Longhill road from Hollow to Lindbergh has been patched up. Also Ridge from Lindbergh to Rileyville was smooth as a baby's butt - must have been re-surfaced. Nice riding today - felt like the entire ride was air conditioned

Top Bottom