Soundz Like Riding Short Time Many Time

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had this on my "want to do" list. Not sure if Im up to the 47 miles or not. Definitely not in August. But, could be a Fall ride

Is there enough "points of interest" along the way to make it worth the long effort?

You could do an out and back which would be less mileage. I chose not to come back on the Lackawanna Cutoff and took the Paulinskill/road because the cutoff was kinda overgrown and had to duck a lot. I also ate more spider webs than on any ride ever. So yah do it in the fall/winter. As long as you stick to the rail beds everything is flat.

I think one of the cooler part of the cutoff (other than the viaduct) are the rock formations you see on either sides as you are passing through. It looks like they blasted their way through the mountains to make the rail. There some interesting bridges and streams/rivers along the way and a few abandoned structures.

There's enough loose railbed type of rocks on the cutoff that a plus size tire makes better riding. Skinny tires will get you through though. I probably won't do this ride again unless I am bike-packing toward the gap/PA or showing someone. It's worth doing once, imo.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1111393317

If you go East on the cutoff and not West, there's supposed to be a big tunnel (which is not really a tunnel) in Andover, I think. I might go check it out on Wed.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Very cool scouting there.

If you go East on the cutoff and not West, there's supposed to be a big tunnel (which is not really a tunnel) in Andover, I think. I might go check it out on Wed.

You're not thinking of the tunnel on the Sussex branch, are you?
Should be where the Lackawanna passes over the Sussex.
We can look at mapz tonight

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Huh Roseville Rd is just East/North of the intersection that I mentioned.

The tunnel from that post is not on Sussex Branch trail. It is on the Lackawanna Cutoff line (goes East-West) which is abandoned and not officially maintained.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The tunnel from that post is not on Sussex Branch trail. It is on the Lackawanna Cutoff line (goes East-West) which is abandoned and not officially maintained.
Yes, I got that, I was simply stating the location.
Looks to be about 1.75 miles East of where the Lackawanna crosses over the Sussex trail.
Which is where the tunnel is on the Sussex trail,
though you don't seem to care about that.

huffster

Roseville tunnel. Yeah, that is pretty cool. I've gone over and checked that out.

I am thinking of doing something like you did where you can make the loop with the Paulinskill. Out and back can be a little boring. I suspect there are some other jump off points where you can connect the Paulinskill and Lackawanna cut-off without going all the way out like you did. How far out is the viaduct itself? I would not want to cut that out.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Roseville tunnel. Yeah, that is pretty cool. I've gone over and checked that out.

I am thinking of doing something like you did where you can make the loop with the Paulinskill. Out and back can be a little boring. I suspect there are some other jump off points where you can connect the Paulinskill and Lackawanna cut-off without going all the way out like you did. How far out is the viaduct itself? I would not want to cut that out.

Viaduct is on the West most tip of my ride :) I turned around at that point and it's where Paulinskill sort of intersects the cutoff.

You could start somewhere on the middle of the cutoff to make the loop shorter. There's a bunch of access points on the cutoff, but I can't give you coordinates.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wonder twin powers activate!

tumblr_ou36kdI6U01qc3f0io1_640.jpg

On this evening’s ride, I ran into 1 black bear, 1 family of white tail deer, 3 eastern cotton tail rabbits, 5ish frogs not sure what kind, 1 box turtle, 1 quad, 2 motos, and 1 mosquito

Create an emo hairdo!

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

On this evening’s ride, I ran into 1 black bear, 1 family of white tail deer, 3 eastern cotton tail rabbits, 5ish frogs not sure what kind, 1 box turtle, 1 quad, 2 motos, and 1 mosquito

Create an emo hairdo!
I'm sure that mosquito is/was the gardian of that tunnel

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Create an emo hairdo!
I have ridden my MX bike through that tunnel many times...it didnt have a headlight on it....One day while going along I crashed into someones fire pit that they left behind....thankfully i was going slow.

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Create an emo hairdo!
Is that the tunnel on the Sussex trail?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have ridden my MX bike through that tunnel many times...it didnt have a headlight on it....One day while going along I crashed into someones fire pit that they left behind....thankfully i was going slow.

I didn't have lights either. Once you get in, this is all you see:

Screen-Shot-2017-08-03-at-11.57.31-AM.jpg

Then I had a pedal strike on something and almost fell over. So I used my eyePhone flashlight which was good enough to get me through.

On the way back, there were some motos that happened to be passing through, so I followed them.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

tumblr_ou4ec9iXNA1qc3f0io1_640.jpg

rip binghamton

Create an emo hairdo!

Last edited:
Top Bottom