somewhat impressed last two nights

M

mponsig

I always rode cheesequake for a quick somewhat technical hour or so workout (which means riding the four section loop forwards and backwards an a bit more) and I always liked it. It has quick climbs that come up on you, nice descents, log obstacles and nasty roots that all keep you on top of your game. The last year or so, I have been off the bike due to ACL reconstruction, recovery and other crap we all call "life" getting in the way but I recently returned to my zen time and it is Cheesquake that I decided to prep up them legs and lungs on again.

I do not read too much positive stuff about this spot on here but I have to say I like it. It's virtually empty, peaceful, well maintained and I live 4 miles away. Some new trails (short re-routes) have sprouted up to avoid erosion and over use and alot of obstacles have been added to make the ride a bit more challenging. Although both nights I blew my bikes and had to limp out to the parking lot, I had an hour to sweat and have fun.

I recommend this spot for a quick, peaceful, woodsy singletrack workout. I think it has far more to offer than Huber Woods does, I feel like I am done there in 10 minutes unless I am missing a whole section I cannot find.
If anyone rides cheesquake on a regular basis on here, let me know if you want to meet up out there.

antgold

agree!

Mainly riding in hartshorne ,
this place impressed me - don't know why it is considered as "underdog" place around NJ parks ...
last time been there I've put a 15 miles...
worm-up in the fire road ( left after the park entrance )
followup with two loops in the white trail .:popcorn:

However it not worthwhile going there if getting there require more then 25 min driving time .

Last edited:
M

mponsig

Mainly riding in hartshorne ,
this place impressed me - don't know why it is considered as "underdog" place around NJ parks ...
last time been there I've put a 15 miles...
worm-up in the fire road ( left after the park entrance )
followup with two loops in the white trail .:popcorn:

However it not worthwhile going there if getting there require more then 25 min driving time .

Cool, I need to build much more stamina for Hartshorne, that place kicks my a$$, I end up walking most of it. In time, in time....................................

RacinStart

I ride Cheesequake 2 or 3 times a week. I get about 12 miles out of my work out by leaving my apartment off RT 9 and heading the park the back way.

G

go big blue

i ride cheesequake 2 or 3 times a week. I get about 12 miles out of my work out by leaving my apartment off rt 9 and heading the park the back way.

i hear ya, i live closeby also, and i find it 2 b really convienent, never crowded, and i feel like i always have the place to myself, maybe a coupla other riders, but its close, and u can get a nice workout there, especially when u ride the rest of the park in b tween white trail loops

G

go big blue

The "quake"

i will be at the quake this afternoon, about 3 or 315, to get a good work out in b 4 the rain comes in 2 nite, i will be on my white single speed, huffing and puffing, hope 2 c any of u guys, or gals, out there...RIDE ON!!!

wonderturtle

based on this thread I decided to give it a try yesterday afternoon.

agree with the assessment - "somewhat technical, quick climbs that come up on you, nice descents, log obstacles and nasty roots"

probably the most root-filled trail I've ridden - and riding a rigid bike, the roots really knock you around and keep you honest (gotta pick a good line in a few spots).

considering the convenience (just off GSP on my commute home) its not a bad ride. but, agree, certainly not worth a trip (you might as well continue on to Hartshorne or Allaire if you're coming from a distance)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I grew up right down the street from Cheesequake and rode my bike there since before there were actual trails. I've always loved it in there. It's small. Yes it is. But not if you add in the "other" trails;)

-Jim.

wonderturtle

It's small. Yes it is. But not if you add in the "other" trails;)

small indeed - other than the 3 mile white trail theres nothing officially open to MTB.

are these "other trails" accessible from the white trail or are they in other areas of the park?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
are these "other trails" accessible from the white trail or are they in other areas of the park?

Accessible. Sort of. You're ALLOWED to ride on the fireroad just beyond the entrance gate. That will take you all the way around to the lake area. I'll usually dip into the blue trail before the crabbing bridge and hit the green trail backwards from there, hit red (which goes just behind the nature center, be CAREFUL THERE!!), make a right at the intersection onto yellow and cruise around the lake into the picnic area. There's also a few unmarked trails over by the camping area and a hole in the fence to dip back onto Lawrence Parkway. Then you can ride on the road back to the commuter lot and dip into the white trail. It's like 20 miles or so:D

-Jim.

elisa

OMG Hartshorne vs. Cheesequake

I've been to Hartshorne... Im beginner I just started riding a year ago.My first time really riding was in Lake PLacid. I was instantly hooked. My first time riding here in NJ was Hartshorne, OMG, I nearly gave up.:cry: But I like the riding and outdoors to much to stop, plus the rush I get when Im done. I've never been to Cheesequake, it is a bit of a drive for me. I have been stuck on Allaire, Hartshorne, Matawan, and most recently Clayton Park. I wanna give Cheesequake a try but prefer to ride with people, Never alone for me!:rolleyes:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been to Hartshorne... Im beginner I just started riding a year ago.My first time really riding was in Lake PLacid. I was instantly hooked. My first time riding here in NJ was Hartshorne, OMG, I nearly gave up.:cry: But I like the riding and outdoors to much to stop, plus the rush I get when Im done. I've never been to Cheesequake, it is a bit of a drive for me. I have been stuck on Allaire, Hartshorne, Matawan, and most recently Clayton Park. I wanna give Cheesequake a try but prefer to ride with people, Never alone for me!:rolleyes:

dont know how many takers youd get for cheesequake...its kinda not worth the trip. Allaire is popular for group rides and you can probably find some folks to go to Hartshorne and Clayton. Keep checking the Allaire forum for scheduled rides.:popcorn:

wonderturtle

Elisa - if youre in Lacey I would just keep going to Allaire and Clayton. those are great parks for beginners. Allaire in particular is much much bigger than Cheesequake and Clayton is more fun.

while Hartshorne is certainly worth a drive, Cheesequake is not.

just curious - where do you ride in Matawan? if you're going somewhere in Matawan - Cheesequake is like 5 minutes away from Matawan.

elisa

Thanks wonder turtle..and Iggy...I meant to say that I ride in Manasquan..not Matawan..doi!! :confused: Manasquan is just a flat easy ride for rainy days or days your a little off......of course thats my opinion. I've been to Allaire many times, I usually go on Sundays..thats really the best day for me. I am considering also going on Saturdays in the winter. I'll keep my eye out for good people who might wanna meet up and ride. (clayton, hartshorne, and allaire) I won't consider going alone, eva! I've seen some "strange" human looking people walking around the woods a few times...freaked me out...But then again I've seen a few girls riding alone..but not me.

Top Bottom