someone has been working

Optiwizard

Just rode this tonight after work and noticed several log piles missing and or cut out. Guessing someone didn't like the downed trees much. Was great getting in a short ride before dusk only to get a thorn in the end. Just slowed me down as I wasnt really feeling like walking. Atleast it was at the end and near my jeep as i forgot my pump and spare tube.

Just rode this tonight after work and noticed several log piles missing and or cut out. Guessing someone didn't like the downed trees much. Was great getting in a short ride before dusk only to get a thorn in the end. Just slowed me down as I wasnt really feeling like walking. Atleast it was at the end and near my jeep as i forgot my pump and spare tube.

Huh, that's weird. Most likely not official unless done by the park guys, since the park rep is away and wasn't too concerned with them being they weren't impossible to get over. Did run into a walker during the last tm session, and he mentioned possibly talking to the park about small bypass trails. he had good intent since he thought they caused us problems, but I'm wondering if that played a role. Haven't been there in a while myself. Were they out on the imba trail between duck farm road and the trail that runs along the ridge? Think I need to try and take a look sometime soon.

Was it the old guy with the dog. I came up on him watch out as he is wearing a ipod and cant hear you. As i tried to let him know I was behind him on some single track but on lap 2, I passed him on the duck pond road the double track stretch and just passed him without yelling might of scared him but on a good note his dog is friendly and not a chaser. he seems like a real nice guy.

Some of the things that are being done seem fine but some don't seem to make sense as it seems they are promoting lazy go arounds.

Yeah, that was him. He is a nice guy. We had talked to him for a while when working on that dip that had eroded pretty badly. Someone had been doing similar stuff back then. Just the week before the TM i had come across a bunch of branches set between trees to block a turn in the trail, and forcing people to cut it off. From what i heard a few of those had popped up over the previous months. If you see something like that you might as well move it off the trail as long as it seems as though it shouldn't be there. Last time out i had seen some signs that people may have been trying to start new trails and features. Hopefully i can take a look sometime soon. Please update if you start to see damage starting to crop up. KenS on here is the JORBA rep for the park, but he is currently away. If you send him a pm with observations to keep him in the loop, i'm sure he'd get it when he gets back.

Thanks for the update.

I ride here about once or twice a week and have seen some of the bypasses put in. Nothing really major. Theres one by that big logover that kurt and i made during the last trail maint. And on a couple of the smaller ones. The only really major one ive seen is the logover with the rock. Someone went beserker moving logs and such out of the way to make a bypass but the logover is still ridable. Someone did build a little jump on one of the side trails near the parking lot a couple of weeks ago that i found interesting.

Thanks for the heads up. I have the hiker's name and contact info, and hope to get him out to our next TM session. He was genuinely interested in coming out, and has even gone through the volunteer process with the park. Nice guy too. If it is him moving things around, he means well. Its definitely not the park out there moving anything.

Please ensure you continue to use the awesome trail etiquette that you have been doing, it really goes a long way.

Expect a TM date in April to prep for summer. Thanks again guys and see you soon!

What the hell

I go out to Estell about two times during the week. It seems someone or a group is making the ride like it is in a city park not true singletrack. Most of the logovers and what ever are on the tame side and see no reason for them cutting them out. I feel more things you got to go over the better you get and improve your skills. This place is not that hard to ride, but very good to keep in shape on and work on your skills. Just my 2-cents but I see somethings getting out of hand with the chopping.

Been riding here since the first season, people tend to get out of hand when carving out options to obstacles. They damage the existing log overs etc. I noticed the Stone log over has been gutted to the point of danger.

If anything looks dangerous please give it a few minutee worth of love. I'll be back soon and survey the dmg, it cant be too bad.

Was out today and ran into Paul(fella with the awesome dogs) working on the trail. Talked to him for a bit and it is him thats making the bypasses and clearing out some logs. I counted 6-7 logovers completely removed from the trail. He means well but its starting to ride like parvins or belleplain. But hes also trimming back a lot of green briars and such which is nice.

Maybe we can get him to kill the ticks out there. I've already Had my first tick. I wore ankle socks and when I was putting them on I said i'll probably regret it. Darn tick bit me in the back of the ankle. The half inch of skin I had showing.

Trail Conditions

:drooling:Rode Estell on Friday afternoon. Talked to a couple of riders about what is going on. Everyone's opinion on what is happening is very negative. It seems that the person that is doing the cutting is not taking into the effect that his or her actions is effecting other users of the trail. It is clearly marked the trail system is sanctioned trail of International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA). There is a liasion between the sanctioning body and the park system which I believe is Ken. The reflection of what is happening to the trail system at Estell is not fair on Ken since to me, there was no respect shown to Ken by whoever is doing this work since it seems they did not try to contact him. It seems to me that this person that he or she is trying to please themselves and not taking into consideration others that use this single track. My feeling is that there is a strong lack of communication between this individual and the Park System and of the original purpose of the single track that was built by Chris and the others. My two cents on this matter that I see what is going on.

:drooling:Rode Estell on Friday afternoon. Talked to a couple of riders about what is going on. Everyone's opinion on what is happening is very negative. It seems that the person that is doing the cutting is not taking into the effect that his or her actions is effecting other users of the trail. It is clearly marked the trail system is sanctioned trail of International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA). There is a liasion between the sanctioning body and the park system which I believe is Ken. The reflection of what is happening to the trail system at Estell is not fair on Ken since to me, there was no respect shown to Ken by whoever is doing this work since it seems they did not try to contact him. It seems to me that this person that he or she is trying to please themselves and not taking into consideration others that use this single track. My feeling is that there is a strong lack of communication between this individual and the Park System and of the original purpose of the single track that was built by Chris and the others. My two cents on this matter that I see what is going on.

I do know that Ken is aware of what is going on now, but was not in the loop. We met the gentleman in question at the last TM, and mentioned the idea of helping out during a maintenance session. He had made some mention of possibly creating bypasses, but hadn't really expected that he was going to go all out.
All in all though, he is doing what he is with the best intentions, although he doesn't fully understand the impact. As a walker he had seen occasional riders get stuck on logovers, and thought it would be in our best interest to get rid of/around them.
Hopefully Ken can contact him for an upcoming TM session, and we can help him better understand our perspective. After that we can mitigate what damage was done, and try to get everyone on the same page.

Hoping to finally get out there soon to see what is up myself as i haven't been there in a while.

Time will tell

Got back down here from up north and went out and rode Estell on Sunday afternoon and ran into the person who is doing the cutting. We talked about how a lot of people felt about it. Bottom line is he told me no more cutting, no harsh words were said. As I see it the damage is done, mother nature will bring new things to us. I was still pissed about what happen talking to him and told him about the samething that I posted. Above all I held my tongue and didn't get nasty with him. Now if he would work on the ticks and jiggers:rolleyes:

The park contacted me yesterday. I got home from a 59 day deployment on Friday, and left sat morn for New Hampshire so had originally planned to stop in to the park later this week when I got home, but happy that the office gave me a shout.

There was some confusion regarding JORBA's involvement with this work, but everything is cleared up and we (JORBA and the park) are on the same page. The gent who did the work truly felt he was helping out, but the park assured me that all future trail work on the north end trails will continue to go through me and the park office.

Stay tuned for an April TM date and thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks.

The park contacted me yesterday. I got home from a 59 day deployment on Friday, and left sat morn for New Hampshire so had originally planned to stop in to the park later this week when I got home, but happy that the office gave me a shout.

There was some confusion regarding JORBA's involvement with this work, but everything is cleared up and we (JORBA and the park) are on the same page. The gent who did the work truly felt he was helping out, but the park assured me that all future trail work on the north end trails will continue to go through me and the park office.

Stay tuned for an April TM date and thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for clearing everything up.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions