SOLD: 1990 Trek 950 Singletrack SS - $50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve H

image6.JPG
image7.JPG

Okay, so I have ridden this bike on NJ trails and had a ball, but my body HURT the next day. I really don't understand how people mountain biked before suspension technology - especially in rocky places like this. We really used to be a lot tougher than we are nowadays. Anyway, I took an old Trek, threw a 16t cog and some spacers on the rear cassette hub, bought a 1/8" KMC half-link chain and removed links until it had acceptable tension running over a 30t chainring in the front. Then I put a slightly larger chainring on the outer position of the old Deore LX triple as a sort of bash guard (lol), and called it a day. This bike is truly a POS - but it's the best kind of POS. The wheels aren't true. There is a ding in the top tube I included a picture of. The headset has some play. I took the front brake off, because why not? I never wash it, but I will for whoever wants to buy it. This is a "just for fun" kind of bike. I have been using it for beer runs and the occasional trail ride when I am feeling stupid/masochistic. The good parts about it are it has never thrown that beefy half-link chain, and this frame (with a 22.5" top tube and 18" seat tube by the way) will probably outlast all of us. It makes me smile. Maybe you will feel the same way and want to throw down $50 for a great winter beer run bike. I will throw in the pictured 2.35" Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires, which are great for riding on the street/pump track.

Attachments

• image7.JPG
    image7.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 19
  • image10.JPG
    image10.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 17
  • image10.JPG
    image10.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
SOLD to a brave soul in about 2.5 hours. Wow, not the bike I thought would go first. I might miss it, but I probably won't.

Omg, this is what happens when you don't live on mtbnj. That is a great bike for a drop bar conversion.
Sorry it passed you by my friend. I will enthusiastically second what you said. In the picture on the left, I am riding a copy of this frame I built with dirt drops and a nitto technomic long quill stem. Rode it from Providence to Seattle actually. These frames still pop up from time to time, and I highly recommend them for touring/gravel builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom