So you want to try cyclocross...(updated for 2015!)

njmark

Professional Cyclist
Picked up my cross bike from halters today. 2010 giant tcx 0. Its set up for the road for the summer and after a short ride this evening I am completely in love with it. Thanks a million Jay!

Nipper

Races to Start

I really want to do this this year. My back is better, been riding over 100-150mi/week and lots of hills on the road. I did the Rutgers Cyclocross clinic last year and it was a blast even though it was realllllly hot. I have a 2009 Giant TCX 1 which I love to death.

I will be 60 next month, but that is not holding me back, just where to start - good races to get in there and just have fun with it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
When the calendar comes out, pick the top (ie, first) race, do it, then pencil in every other race on the calendar.

Drink beer, eat waffles, enjoy!

TedH

Given your comments about your back and age, be militant with back support work. Best to see your physio, but front and side planks, extensions, etc. cross can be rough on your back, and such prevention is worth it's weight in gold.

Nipper

Excellent advise

Given your comments about your back and age, be militant with back support work. Best to see your physio, but front and side planks, extensions, etc. cross can be rough on your back, and such prevention is worth it's weight in gold.

Ted, I could not agree more. Core strengthening, extensions, yoga therapy for flexibility has brought my back back. Everyone should do this! It is mandatory, especially as one ages. On on.

Lupob6

This was a great read, cant wait to do my first two races. See you guys at Whirlybird and Cooper River

-Josh
(I'm the big guy in a Rutgers kit)

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since we are rapidly approaching September I thought I would re-post the beginner intro (see first post) with a few updates. Feel free to add your own hints and tips for beginners or your recollections about what it was like to your first race.

What did you wish you knew before entering your first CX race?

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Great updates Eric! I re read this and went from half stoked to full on raging stoked.

Completely agree with you on the griffo, it's outdated and over rated. I myself like the fango, super sharp cornering knobs. I want challenge to make a griffo center tread fango side tread. That would be a sexy rear tire.

The MXP is also solid, I've had a set of clinchers on my pit/training wheels for 2 years. I was debating some sew ups for this year but everyone seems to tear those clement sidewalls so imma stay away from those until I can afford new tires every season.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't this the year everyone is making real tubeless cross tires?

I read Vittoria is making some.

I've ran tubeless in the past with good results, but I'm in the minority

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Glad this was updated or I wouldn't have seen it, thanks! Good stuff in here. I'm running tubes and when I read your pressures, the 60 I assumptively put in would probably be too high. I tried finding these Wednesday practices on the forum but didn't come up with anything. I'd love to attend one of them or a clinic if there was something close by in North Jersey.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I read Vittoria is making some.

I have some of their TNT tubless and they have worked great on a set of Stan's Alpha 340 wheels. No brainer to set up...mounted up with a hand pump and didn't even need to take out the valve core. And, they haven't burped yet, even when I dented the rim on a manhole cover. I have not run them super low in race-like conditions but they seem about as good an option as any. XG tread is like a grifo with a little more tread depth and bigger side knobs. Much better tread pattern than the original grifo IMO.

I tried finding these Wednesday practices on the forum but didn't come up with anything. I'd love to attend one of them or a clinic if there was something close by in North Jersey.

I'll update the first post with some more info on practices. These are Wed Worlds I know about but there are more out there...Otto's Farm (http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/cross-practice.13112/), Holster in Clifton, Randall's Island (NYC).

soulchild

I've got a few PDX tubs in my closet though I think I'm going with MXP's this year. Speaking of, Clement is releasing a tubeless MXP soon. I haven't been given a definitive answer as to when, though July was the answer to my first inquiry. I emailed them last week and was just told 'very soon'. I like the idea of training on the same tread I'm going to race on and after shredding 2 tubs at WW last year, the tubeless MXP's would be perfect.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I didn't go last year but the year before there was one at Chimney Rock by the roller hockey rink. Anyone know if this is still going on?
this does happen, was a little lack luster last year, i think i went once. Otto's has more of a crowd. NOT MUCH FARTHER FROM YOU

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What did you wish you knew before entering your first CX race?

I pondered this question for a few days. I think the my best advice is to really soak in and enjoy the scene.

Once you become a little more seasoned and competitive, it's a little more serious and you take that "silliness" that is the cross race for granted.

Another thing is to be a little more outgoing and make some new friends. There's a ton of like minded people at these races. And the more friends you make at them, the more fun you'll have, and the more likely you'll keep coming back.

The Heckler

Another thing is to be a little more outgoing and make some new friends. There's a ton of like minded people at these races. And the more friends you make at them, the more fun you'll have, and the more likely you'll keep coming back.

This. I'm actually a pretty shy person around strangers. Then I grew a beard, yelled "You bring new meaning to the term SUCK" at @Norm and now I have a nickname and @UtahJoe flats or has a technical every time I'm at the same race venue regardless of the discipline. :D

Most CX people just want to talk, including Richard Sachs.

The same could be said about MTB events but the CX events are often 2-200times bigger.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You are one of the main reasons i'm now selling every bit of cyclocross equipment I own...I tried to fight your black cloud, but I have given up. Your curse has vanquished me.

The Heckler

You are one of the main reasons i'm now selling every bit of cyclocross equipment I own...I tried to fight your black cloud, but I have given up. Your curse has vanquished me.
rsz_mr_burns_evil_7487.gif

jumpa

Do people race ss cx often? Im not super fast riding ss, I just have been on a ss bike binge lately and enjoy riding all the things at one speed. Slow. Also, I understand in spirit I should "ride what I got" but am I at a huge disadvantage riding with caliper brakes?

The Heckler

Do people race ss cx often? Im not super fast riding ss, I just have been on a ss bike binge lately and enjoy riding all the things at one speed. Slow. Also, I understand in spirit I should "ride what I got" but am I at a huge disadvantage riding with caliper brakes?
CX folk LOVE SS. They are just as fanatic as the mountain SS peeps. Many events have SS specific races which are easily the most fun race of the day often with many costumes and beers being consumed.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret about brakes.. Cantilevers don't work. Unless there is peanut butter mud you will mostly be on an even playing field brake wise. The canti is popular for mud clearance. Disc brakes work better in the mud until the pad completely runs out with a lap to go (on multiple occasions).

Top Bottom