snow tire check in thread

jackx

yeah, sounds wrong, soft tires get harder in the cold, no

I've found dry snow is horrible for RWD cars, even with snows. wet and deep are fine though. Thinking to get a cheapo FWD like Carson for the winter. And let leave the RWD in the garage

I find I have an easier time getting up my drive way when there is 1 to 3 inches of snow (compared to 1/2 inch).

when was the last time you saw a FWD plow truck or snowmobile?

Most people seem to get stuck going up hill or even "up" a false flat road that they don't actually realize is uphill, unless they are riding a bike or not able to get traction in snow or ice. So with RWD vehicle the weight is shifted to rear it seems to help. But maybe that's my hallucination because I have 4 snows mounted and the guys getting stuck have all-season tires, and who knows if their all-seasons are new or bald.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find I have an easier time getting up my drive way when there is 1 to 3 inches of snow (compared to 1/2 inch).

Most people seem to get stuck going up hill or even "up" a false flat road that they don't actually realize is uphill, unless they are riding a bike or not able to get traction in snow or ice. So with RWD vehicle the weight is shifted to rear it seems to help. But maybe that's my hallucination because I have 4 snows mounted and the guys getting stuck have all-season tires, and who knows if their all-seasons are new or bald.
Probably shit tires. Vehicle weight is one of the main factors that make for a snow capable vehicle, that's why FWD minivans are great. RWD cars actually have no weight in the back because the engine weight is in the front, if we're talking about most sedans for example. This is the #1 reason why FWD performs better in the snow. This is assuming all vehicles dicussed have decent tires to begin with. Weight is also why people put sandbags in RWD vehicles which does help some, but can cause spin outs to be even more uncontrollable. Also, narrower tires do better in the snow. This is another reason why sportier cars suck, even something like a BMW X5 that runs a 255+ tire. Snow tires help a shit ton on every platform.

Also, contrary to popular belief, those aggressive all terrain tires it see on Wranglers and lifted trucks, like a BFG KM2, are garbage in the snow. You can easily slide sideways off a slick road in them, but they are great at throwing a ton of snow from under its tires until they get down to asphalt.

Last edited:

qclabrat

take off the z rated tires off the M3

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can you post a pic of you behind the wheel of the Prius? It's gotta look like a clown car, right?
Weirdly, it fits really well. I can also drive the Fiat 500 w/out going into a full-body cramp. Things that suck when you're built like a stick-bug: small cab pickups. I look like Flavor Flav, with the steering wheel where the Mercedes badge would be on his necklace.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was about to say that this picture was a lie...but then I remember you did the 5 lug conversion years ago

Ordered blizzaks and steelies today for my moms new (to her) prius....

Me: your car has the worst possible tires on it for bad weather, I bought you winter tires, come over next week and Ill put them on.
mom: winter tires? what for?
Me: Do you remember my friend Luke?
mom...is he the one married to the nice girl with curly hair? (this is seriously how my mom remembers luke)
Me:yes
mom: yes, ok
Me: well you need winter tires so you dont kill his family
mom: huh?
me: dont worry about it.
me: oh and there will be a light on your dashboard all winter, ignore it
mom: your turning on my dashboard lights? why?
me: ug...nevermind, ill put tape over it

Top Bottom