snow tire check in thread

any damage? cracking? dry rot? i believe the usefull life of a tire from a material age standpoint is 8 years, so without any obvious reason not to i would just keep using them until at least that point.
No, no and no. I’ll double check once I take them out of storage though.

I noticed no ill effects. i needed to buy new tires and i have two sets of snow tires so just rolled them. I would be interested to see a real study on them other than people saying they are unsafe, soft rubber etc.....
I drove three years with snows on a Honda Pilot. It was a second car and the noise wasn't terrible. Couldn't justify new tires for a car which averaged less than 5k/year, ended up donating during COVID.

I think I'm going to all-weather tires instead of dedicated winter tires. All the reviews have been super good for the Michelin Crossclimate 2's.

do you just have the tires and not extra wheels/tires?
Just the tires. I was going to get an extra set of wheels but never got around to do it. Also $$$. Also, I have a feeling that the day I source the extra wheels a permanent heat wave will turn New Jersey into the Sahara Desert (I suspect @Carson may have been out there doing some research rather than just tourist stuff) so I'm not really looking for them...science, believe in it.

Just the tires. I was going to get an extra set of wheels but never got around to do it. Also $$$. Also, I have a feeling that the day I source the extra wheels a permanent heat wave will turn New Jersey into the Sahara Desert (I suspect @Carson may have been out there doing some research rather than just tourist stuff) so I'm not really looking for them...science, believe in it.
I forget, what vehicle do you have? I thought you had a jeep?

I think if I had a 4wd truck/suv...id probably either find an extra set of wheels or just roll with something that would be good enough year round....having to take your vehicle somewhere and get the tires swapped will probably run what? $150 now? You can find extra wheels for pretty cheap if you look around on marketplace....often times with winter tires on them already.

I forget, what vehicle do you have? I thought you had a jeep?

I think if I had a 4wd truck/suv...id probably either find an extra set of wheels or just roll with something that would be good enough year round....having to take your vehicle somewhere and get the tires swapped will probably run what? $150 now? You can find extra wheels for pretty cheap if you look around on marketplace....often times with winter tires on them already.
Grand Cherockee. The garage next door (almost) is pretty reasonable but we get in the $100 territory. Like I said, I was going to but the climate implications were too dire. Also...
greta.JPG

Back
Top Bottom