Smokey & the Bandit Extended Online Race

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Since there's no short track let's do some more online racing.

Objective:
Score as many points as you can. Person with the most points wins.
Start Date: 3/1/13
End date: 3/31/13.
3 categories this thing: Pro, Commuter and Sport

How to Score Points and the Rules:

Pro
Anyone can enter this class, but if you know you can’t put in serious miles, go for the commuter or sport class.

Way to Play
For every hour ridden 2 points will be awarded. Anything after the :45 mark will be rounded up to the next hour. 2:46 moving time = 3 hours. 2:44 unfortunately is two hours. 5 hour max on points.

Other ways for Pros to score:
Riding in wet weather (please see Bad Cop rule below!) will give you 1 point for every hour riding in the wet. Crazy windy days will also be bonus eligible for 1 point per hour. Weather.com will be the source if any debate comes up about who was riding in what.

No scoring for distance for Pros.

Speed limit:
Pros that take to the road have to keep a 13mph avg at least to score for a ride. Pros that take to gravel/dirt-like paths (think the canal) or dirt won't have a minimum speed limit, but if it looks like you're just crawling along the peanut gallery can say something and knock down the points.

Commuter
You ride to work, you ride on the weekends.

Way to Play

For every hour ridden 2 points will be awarded.

Other ways for Commuters to score:
Riding in wet weather (please see Bad Cop rule below!) will give you 1 point for every hour riding in the wet. Crazy windy days will also be bonus eligible for 1 point per hour. Be safe! Weather.com will be the source if any debate comes up about who was riding in what.

Speed limit:
Just like pros there's a minimum avg speed limit but its 11mph on the road.

Distance
Commuter class gets distance points since your only riding won't be just for getting into work and you get some recognition for stretching out your commute. On dirt you'll get 1 extra point for breaking 10 miles, 2 points for 20 miles etc. up to 40 miles. On road 1 extra point for breaking 20 miles, 2 points for 40 miles, 3 points for 60 miles and 4 points for 80 and 6 for a century.

Sport
Anyone can enter this class, but if you know you are going to put in serious miles, go for the Pro or Commuter class.

Way to Play
2 points will be awarded for your first hour of riding, another 2 points will be awarded for your second hour of riding, then 1 extra point for every hour after two hours.

No wet or distance points for sport. Keeping it simple for the test.

Additional Stuff for All Classes:

Double Days:

These are days where all points are doubled for riding:
March 1, 9, 17, 25 and 31

Movable double days:
you will be able to pick 2 days - at random - to use as double days. you will have to swap each moved day with one of the days listed above.

Streak bonus (one time use only):
Ride 4 days in a row - 5 point bonus
Ride 7 days in a row - 10 point bonus
Ride 31 days in a row - 31 point bonus

Once you use your streak bonus, you can't claim it again - one time use only.

Other bonus
I can throw out bonus points and people can suggest bonus points for others - but you already know that. GPS art gets bonuses too.

You'll need to be prepared to document your ride somehow. We'll go on the honor system generally. If you want to post your ride with a link to your strava account or GPS download, go ahead but it is not necessary all the time. There is also an honor system for the riders who are without a GPS, but you should have something occasionally. You don't have to go nuts posting this crap because no one will really care but if you claim it was a 4 hour ride in 4 degrees at 3 in the morning, you can be called out on it and will need to provide proof.

This is for fun, so rules and points will be flexible. Post your ride details in this thread and I will keep score on this post.

Prizes:
Winners will get bragging rights and a fantastic beer. If you don't drink it'll be coffee based. If you don't drink caffeine either - live a little.

Bad Cop's First Rule of Safety & Responsibility:
Anyone who rides trails in the rain, or roads when it snows/sleets shall be subject to no points in the game for that day. In no way do we want the safety of the players or the condition of the trails to be compromised. The point is to have fun, and not to risk ourselves for the sake of a big, albeit good, beer.

Standings: (last update 4/1/13)

Pro
1. olegbabich - 266 points
2. JimV - 236 points
3. kush - 161 points
4. mattybfat - 158 points
5. Norm - 151 points
6. stb222 - 150 points
7. pooriggy - 136 points
8. capedoc - 133 points
9. 1speed - 120 points
10. fidodie - 114 points
11. UtahJoe - 86 points
12. Jefflenosky - 42 points
13. bonefishjake - 10 points

Commuter
1. jmanic - 125 points
2. THATmanManny - 115 points
3. grilledcheeseking - 45 points
graveyardman67

Sport
1. skiphreaknj - 94 points
2. M3Tim - 81 points
3. I Ride Bikes - 75 points
4. AndyP - 68 points
5. rick81721 - 64 points
5. jmartz - 64 points
5. ebineezer - 64 points
6. davidcarson48 - 44 points
7. michaelsu - 30 points
8. pedals - 27 points
9. shrpshtr325 - 26 points
10. Pokgirl - 18 points
11. clarkenstein - 12 points
12. TeamMuddySprocket - 6 points
13. ChrisNJ - 2 points
13. pxs321 - 2 points

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In for commuter/pro? Forget that you saw anything i went back and looked at my avg, keep what you got.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll go pro on this one. I'll bring my C game this month. Last round was my D game. Or my F game.

The first sentence of the first post might not actually be true...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Can I make a suggestion on the double days & the free double days? If you use a floating double day you have to give up 1 of the 5 that are there already. In other words, max of 5 double days. 7 seems too many for 1 month.

Just a thought.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Can I make a suggestion on the double days & the free double days? If you use a floating double day you have to give up 1 of the 5 that are there already. In other words, max of 5 double days. 7 seems too many for 1 month.

Just a thought.

I agree. Even once a week seems like a lot.

rick81721

Lothar

Just a thought.

Here's another one - since this is a mtb board afterall, how about some bonus pts for breaking percentage of total miles on a mtb (say 75%)? Especially since the next month the trails are likely to be shit and most miles will be on the road. Similar bonus would apply to SS I'd think...

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Last night I went to bed thinking I was not going to do this one. I just want to ride. I am happiest, and the least sore (old age type sore) when I am riding. So lets just ride and dont worry about points blah blah blah.

Then I got up this morning and thought :hmmm: why not?

What class? put me in my own.
The BikegearhastomatchexceptsocksandwillprobablyneverforkoverthedoughtobuyagarminsobeleivemeornotIdontcare class

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
First Blud

Do trainer or roller miles count? :eek:

Of all the people. You better be f'ing :eek:

Not sure if AM beat me to it as she didn't say she actually rode, but first ride of this thread.

Starts with a recovery ride, or something that pretends to be. I am not much for mapping out rides and recovery and any of that training mumbo jumbo, but I skated last night and I can confrim that it is probably one of the worst forms of recovery for your legs. They were dead last night as well as this morning. BTW, blud is how someone in my freshman dorm thought blood was spelled. I don't think I will ever forget that.

Top Bottom