Slowly Bleeding Out

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Well, summer seems to have bypassed spring again so naturally my thoughts turn to my weekend road rides with my buddy DZ (not on this forum...cuz he's not a single track kind-a fellow).

Anyway..... unlike that actual cyclists on the forum, I'm looking for a very different kind of climb. I'm looking for the longest "gentil" climb around central NJ (between Rt 80 and 195).....lets say w/in 60 min drive from The sourlands.

Let me be put some qualifiers on the term "gentil" so you understand. Almost everyone here will know hollow road... actually the section between Camp Meeting and Long Hill (minus the obnoxious little kicker at the very end).

The "climb" yes, I'm putting it in quotes because it's pathetic to call it a climb... but that's the effort I'm looking for. Like 2-4% the whole way up.

The point is, to at no point cause any spike in heart rate. It's really really important to keep things as smooth (effort wise) as possible....

Whatcha got?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was going to suggest hollow road, but i was unable to find a uphill that long and gentle for that long...

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
IMG_0556.JPG
I can climb 2.5 percent gradient for hours on my TACX trainer. ;)

choop

I would wager pretty hard that there isn't much of anything like Hollow Road south of the Sourlands.

Sweetmans in Millstone maybe? Its not a continuous climb in that it goes up for a 1/4 to 1/2 a mile and then down a bit and then steps back up again. You can link a few roads together in that area and get some elevation, but I wouldn't consider it climbing. It is just roads rolling around.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4778332

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm thinking about the climbs around pittstown.

or maybe 523 from stockton to lower ferry,
up lower ferry, to locktown-flem, locktown ? should stay sub 4% with some breaks.

moray42

Merman
Yeah, I've done that one many times...that ones not bad overall but it starts flat, then pitches up to like 6ish then levels out again to end up at 4. Think "heart condition" and you'll understand the super easy and more important gradual part of the "climb".
You may need to come all the way down here for what you seek:D...in all seriousness though, if you wander down this way there are a few areas of rollers. Nothing big, but pretty consistent in the pygmy pine (72 and 539).

Plotted out a fire road trip from home (Bass River SF) to Wharton I may get around to at some point if you want to pedal thru a bunch of sand.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I would wager pretty hard that there isn't much of anything like Hollow Road south of the Sourlands.

Sweetmans in Millstone maybe? Its not a continuous climb in that it goes up for a 1/4 to 1/2 a mile and then down a bit and then steps back up again. You can link a few roads together in that area and get some elevation, but I wouldn't consider it climbing. It is just roads rolling around.

https://www.strava.com/segments/4778332

I like that area, my kids went to summer camp on stagecoach road (back in the day) so I've ridden all over there.

qclabrat

not sustained
but if you ride from Basking Ridge towards Bedminster near 206 then head up Pottersville on you way to Long Valley and such the climbing isn't

the topography here in NJ doesn't work for long climbs
was looking for something similar last year when I was planning to ride up Mt Fuji which is about 5 degrees for 20 miles

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The ideal climb is the one I did two years ago on Rt 214 from Main Street Phoenicia to Main Street Tannersville. (Hunter Mountain Area)

IMG_0285.PNG

Approx 10 miles long x 1300' so you don't really feel anything worse than a false flat.

2hrs away doe......

Top Bottom