Sixmilers IG account

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably not, but is this a reason not implement an open / closed sign?
No, just a response to your "maybe they will think twice" statement. I am all for "Closed " signage at the main kisok. It's been discussed before but never implemented.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's

GHM73

My bike's not fat, it's big-boned.

Thanks for the follows, guys. Stickers can be seen/purchased at sixmilers.com. If you see me on the trail I typically have some on me and give them out as freebies. I occasionally leave some at Bike N Gear the guys to hand out to people. In the summer I've been known to leave them at the red/blue split (stuck in the sign) for people to find too. #trailgifts

GHM73

Post this pic on the 6 mile IG and FB page. You will have done your small part to protect the trails....

I've posted plenty similar, but yeah that's a good one. I will gladly design similar signs for 6MR and even help fund them if we could get those implemented through proper channels.

I have had experiences with the IG account where it has dissuaded people from riding in crap conditions or educated those new to trail riding or new to 6MR. Sure many people ignore the rules, and those who are dicks are just going to be dicks anyway, but if a few can be educated, then more can be and hopefully it can spread for the greater good. That's the idea anyway.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've posted plenty similar, but yeah that's a good one. I will gladly design similar signs for 6MR and even help fund them if we could get those implemented through proper channels.

I have had experiences with the IG account where it has dissuaded people from riding in crap conditions or educated those new to trail riding or new to 6MR. Sure many people ignore the rules, and those who are dicks are just going to be dicks anyway, but if a few can be educated, then more can be and hopefully it can spread for the greater good. That's the idea anyway.

@Arwen's Mom has gone through the process of having signage approved, and created. These are installed at Jaques and the canal trailhead, just before entering the trees before the blue field. rt 27 sign is pending, re: reroute work.

i believe the word poop appears on the sign, making it sound more official :D
(i actually like it, cause it sounds like a fellow trail user talking, rather than TheMan)

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
I'm all for preventing the ruts and erosion, how realistic is it to get bent out of shape over winter ruts when those ruts will be fixed as the year progresses without any trail maintenance?
Thats not what really happens though.
*begin rant*
A big part of the problem is people going AROUND the muddy areas and then the trail gets wide or "go arounds" are created and they dont go away without help. Ruts also end up holding the water and before you know it a small "soft" area has become a small pond. Spent some time during a HIKE yesterday trying to clear a ditch so one of those ponds would empty. It was about 10 feet wide "puddle" across a trail. Made larger by the ruts that were holding the water in.
And yeah, riding frozen ruts SUCK. If the trails are left alone when its soft, then you go ride them when FROZEN, 6 mile becomes very fast and fun. I wait all year for that. And havent enjoyed it at all so far this winter because of terrible trail conditions brought on by fluctuating temperatures and people who disrespect the volunteer hours that go into maintaining and building the trails.
*rant over*

Mountain Bike Mike

*begin rant*
A big part of the problem is people going AROUND the muddy areas and then the trail gets wide or "go arounds" are created and they dont go away without help. Ruts also end up holding the water and before you know it a small "soft" area has become a small pond. Spent some time during a HIKE yesterday trying to clear a ditch so one of those ponds would empty. It was about 10 feet wide "puddle" across a trail. Made larger by the ruts that were holding the water in.
And yeah, riding frozen ruts SUCK. If the trails are left alone when its soft, then you go ride them when FROZEN, 6 mile becomes very fast and fun. I wait all year for that. And havent enjoyed it at all so far this winter because of terrible trail conditions brought on by fluctuating temperatures and people who disrespect the volunteer hours that go into maintaining and building the trails.
*rant over*

I've seen the widening effect this year at a few other places as well. It's just horrible...

Frank

Sasquatch
*begin rant*
*rant over*
This !!!!
Mountain bike mags and adverts always glorify riding in wet conditions. With NJ's entitled attitudes, if one person rides then 100 will. Don't forget that we are always challenged by other user groups when we f up, so that "it really wasn't all that bad" ride may be speaking volumes to the hiker that's headed to the park office to bitch.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I seems to me that it's the quantity of riders riding in marginal conditions that really does a place in. Just because your bike doesn't look like "swamp thing" afterwards does not mean damage hasn't been done. Those rouge trails weren't cut by a lone hiker/biker. It's the scores of them stomping and/or squishing through that did it over time.

GHM73

@Arwen's Mom has gone through the process of having signage approved, and created. These are installed at Jaques and the canal trailhead, just before entering the trees before the blue field. rt 27 sign is pending, re: reroute work.

i believe the word poop appears on the sign, making it sound more official :D
(i actually like it, cause it sounds like a fellow trail user talking, rather than TheMan)

"poop" heh heh heh.

Yeah those signs are great and a welcome sight, but it would still be cool to have something just like that photo. The "don't ride when muddy" is one small line in a list of general rules. A big A-frame sign like that one might make more impact Though I think a main concern would be that someone would probably steal or damage it within a few days of it being there. What about a "conditions flag" sort of sign like they do for wave conditions at the beach. Something as simple as that would be cool. Almost like the big parks have the Smokey the Bear fire warning signs. Again, all through proper channels.

GHM73

Mocked one up :) If we got 6 (one for each trailhead plus backups) they are about $20 each.

dont-ride-mud-a-frame-sign.jpg

GHM73

Just dropped off a bunch of stickers at Halter's, btw. They're in the sticker box by the register.

I'll gladly send anyone the art for these signs. The pricing I got was from buildasign.com, a Texas-based company that does some good stuff for American troops. However many local print shops can make these if we want to patronize a local place.

Top Bottom