Sixmilers IG account

Nassau was yellow taped at both entrances last year , it didn't stop them
I have heard rumors of cars in the parking lot of Nox in wet conditions could foresee some mechanical issues from time to time

@jdog or @KenS is there a state law or ordinance that says you can't physically close a trail at the trail heads at state parks? I assume there is as common sense says it should be.
Right, why is it such an issue to do this? In the 90's the park I learned to mtb in, rocky ridge in York PA had an open:closed sign that was changed daily. I think they also had a number to call.

Sure, you can't stop all the dicks, but some of them will Think twice.

@jdog or @KenS is there a state law or ordinance that says you can't physically close a trail at the trail heads at state parks? I assume there is as common sense says it should be.

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm never going to to be in favor of denial of access. It ALWAYS extends beyond the "stated" purpose.

Rain, closed (ok) . Windy, closed. Ice/Snow, toooooo dangerous... closed. Jeez it's hot out, closed. Flowers in bloom, may frighten the bees, closed. State budget not passed, closed. You didn't endorse my candidate?, closed.

The road to hell was.... well, you know where I'm going with this.

I truly doubt that they will think twice.
Probably not, but is this a reason not implement an open / closed sign?

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm never going to to be in favor of denial of access. It ALWAYS extends beyond the "stated" purpose.

Rain, closed (ok) . Windy, closed. Ice/Snow, toooooo dangerous... closed. Jeez it's hot out, closed. Flowers in bloom, may frighten the bees, closed. State budget not passed, closed. You didn't endorse my candidate?, closed.

The road to hell was.... well, you know where I'm going with this.
This is goes hand in hand with educating whoever holds the keys yo make the call on the closed or opening. I see you point from a Signs, Signs...perspective because I openly ignore various signs and a sign can easily become a liability issue.

Maybe the sign can say, "Don't be a Dick, Your Going to Destroy the Trails Today"

I'll preface this by saying I support educating people on when it's appropriate / inappropriate to ride. In a past life, I was a trail Nazi when I built my own BMX trails. Then in another life, I would thrash muddy trails on my MX bike. Both ends of the spectrum. Right now, I am more on the Nazi side of keeping the trails pristine.

I believe many people think riding in the mud is a part of MTB'ing. So educating them would help but I don't believe the message will be able to change the majority. Not trying to be a dick, just realistic.

So we have the winter months where the freeze / thaw occurs.... Some parks get rutted AF... Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain, we don't have armies of people raking out miles of ruts. Do we? I know we have people doing maintenance to severely damaged areas.... in the summer most rutted trails are smoothed out by the same tires that caused the ruts.

I'm all for preventing the ruts and erosion, how realistic is it to get bent out of shape over winter ruts when those ruts will be fixed as the year progresses without any trail maintenance?

I'm expecting an onslaught of criticism from the folks who are on the "keep the trails pristine" side and trust me, I am on your side than the "trash the trails" side.....

What is the realistic balanced answer here?

I'm all for preventing the ruts and erosion, how realistic is it to get bent out of shape over winter ruts when those ruts will be fixed as the year progresses without any trail maintenance?

It makes riding sucky for the two months or so that the frozen ruts are there, and it makes us look kinda bad as a user group. Otherwise, yeah they mostly go away by people riding/hiking on them and flattening them out.

We are talking about trails built in an area originally purposed for Water

wikipedia
Six Mile Run Reservoir[edit]
Main article: Six Mile Run Reservoir Site
The proposed Six Mile Run Reservoir Site is adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Canal and included a large portion of the Six Mile Run Watershed in central Franklin Township. In 1970, the land for the reservoir was acquired by the State through the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Water Resources as a future reservoir and recreation area and included many of the properties later listed as contributing to the Six Mile National Register Historic District. The reservoir was never built, and in 1993 administration of the area was transferred to the Division of Parks and Forestry.[13]

It makes riding sucky for the two months or so that the frozen ruts are there, and it makes us look kinda bad as a user group. Otherwise, yeah they mostly go away by people riding/hiking on them and flattening them out.

The ruts don't bother me (riding wise) but they catch water and make larger (deeper) depressions, catching, you guessed it, more water.

Mr. Mackey says...
"Soft spots in clay = bad time.... Emm-Kay."

We are talking about trails built in an area originally purposed for Water

wikipedia
Six Mile Run Reservoir[edit]
Main article: Six Mile Run Reservoir Site
The proposed Six Mile Run Reservoir Site is adjacent to the Delaware and Raritan Canal and included a large portion of the Six Mile Run Watershed in central Franklin Township. In 1970, the land for the reservoir was acquired by the State through the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Water Resources as a future reservoir and recreation area and included many of the properties later listed as contributing to the Six Mile National Register Historic District. The reservoir was never built, and in 1993 administration of the area was transferred to the Division of Parks and Forestry.[13]

Cuz it don't drain for shit....

Besides, 6mile doesn't have mud, it has "slip".

Cuz that's what happens....;)

Interwebz:

A slip is a liquid mixture or slurry of clay and/or other materials suspended in water. It has many uses in the production of pottery, and other ceramics ware.[1]

Back
Top Bottom