Six mile run kicks my ass surreptitiously

wonderturtle

Every time I ride there I question whether I am getting a good workout since I find that I am not peddling as much as I do at other parks. Specifically, through the twisties (which is a considerable amount of the mileage) I am peddling only part of the time as I am maneuvering around the twists and turns.

As a result, after I am done I feel as if I didn't kick my own ass as hard as I should have and I leave a little disappointed that I didn't get a good workout.

But then, a few hours later it hits me and I my legs feel tired and the next day I wake a little sore (legs, triceps and upper back). Happens every time. So obviously I got in a good workout. Think the triceps and upper back is from all of the twists and turns, more roots then I usually experience and riding fully rigid.

6MR is sneaky in this way. Does anyone know what I mean or is it just me. ;)

Ian F

I generally agree, but I did discover this year I need to ride other places more often - trails with significant hills.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
You may already be doing this, but I only ride 6MR on the singlespeed. The short uphill sections are thus more of a workout than a geared bike would give me.

Full disclosure: I don't have the legs for SS anywhere else, though :D

wonderturtle

the 6mr hills are really short so there is no issue there for me.

Instead, for me, I think it's the nature of the trail itself (basically riding a trail that's as hard as concrete with lots of roots for 2+ hrs on a fully rigid bike...it kicks your ass after a while if you're not used to it) and all of the twisties (which causes you to struggle to regain momentum time and time again...different from a park where you can constantly hammer).

Just a different park and a different kind of riding then I usually do. I finish and think... "Man I feel like I barely peddled and my MPH sucks. this place sucks. I cant get a good workout here." Then 2 hrs later I'm beat

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I don't think there is another park that has as many tpm (turns per mile) as 6mr. I built it that way to make the most of the terrain.

Enjoy

Mountain Bike Mike

6mile is super fun and a great place to work on cadence.

I tend to agree about the lack of work out... RobW and I usually do a 16ish mile loop and I'm always begging him to do another lap for that exact reason.

However, even though it doesn't beat my ass to a pulp like other places do... I do enjoy the flow and the layout and practice other skills - Cadence, proper cornering technique, riding wheelies, manualling rollers and jumping / clearing sets of doubles and triples.

If I want a work out, I'd go North where the hills a long, steep and technical. If I want that more local, I go to Hartshorne / Huber.

You could always try it on an All Mountain / Enduro / Downhill bike that weighs 35+ pounds. That'll give you a workout at that place

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For me, at least at my pace, it's just a different kind of workout at 6MR. At CR, you have to chug up the hills and over the rocks. At 6MR, I am accelerating out of every turn. I find I'm more mentally tired after 6MR, too, since I'm always trying to make sure I don't break my collar bone by clipping a tree at speed.

wonderturtle

At 6MR, I am accelerating out of every turn. I find I'm more mentally tired after 6MR, too, since I'm always trying to make sure I don't break my collar bone by clipping a tree at speed.

True. True.

And for the record, my legs shoulders and triceps are sore this morning. Good job 6MR!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So go faster/harder. Sure the speed is limited somewhat by your skillset with all the turns, but that just means kick harder out of the turns. Hills force you to put out more effort, but riding on flats you can go hard too.

I Ride Bikes

So go faster/harder. Sure the speed is limited somewhat by your skillset with all the turns, but that just means kick harder out of the turns. Hills force you to put out more effort, but riding on flats you can go hard too.

This. For me six mile feels like a road ride since I'm constantly pedaling compared to other parks with hills where there are longer downhills where you get a break. Once you get your full loop time well under an hour thirty you will feel like you got a workout.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Try using some brake while pedaling thru the turns. I get caught pedaling hard then coasting thru turns and pedaling hard again...more coasting thru turns (repeat). I noticed its faster to ease on the brakes and continue pedaling

wonderturtle

I get caught pedaling hard then coasting thru turns and pedaling hard again...more coasting thru turns (repeat).

exactly! I probably accelerated 100 times yesterday. that is probably why my legs are sore today. but its all good. I am glad I am sore. that's the whole point for me.

Try using some brake while pedaling thru the turns...... I noticed its faster to ease on the brakes and continue pedaling

good point. I dont ride 6MR too often so every time I do I have to re-learn how to do the twisties. however, I find that I get progressively smoother thru the twisties if i go a few times in a row. and going more smooooooooothly thru the twisties only makes 6MR even more fun.

Ian F

You could always try it on an All Mountain / Enduro / Downhill bike that weighs 35+ pounds. That'll give you a workout at that place

I plan to start riding there on my Carbine once I get it a little better set-up for XC riding (the chain guide I could live with, but the current low DH saddle height I cannot).

Practicing cornering is what I really like about riding there and in a way I like how it's not overly technical so it doesn't beat you up. I ride there in lieu of after-work road rides and fighting with rush-hour traffic.

sutter2k

I plan to start riding there on my Carbine once I get it a little better set-up for XC riding (the chain guide I could live with, but the current low DH saddle height I cannot).

Practicing cornering is what I really like about riding there and in a way I like how it's not overly technical so it doesn't beat you up. I ride there in lieu of after-work road rides and fighting with rush-hour traffic.

Do you have a dropper on the carbine?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions