Six Mile in the Snow- bike set-up questions/opinions

Fat bikes became winter specific in places where there are groomed miles of snowmobile roads, then they caught on as the new thing and were brought to the masses. I got put on one as a skeptic and will say they destroy anything else any wheel size any condition 12 months a year. I'm a total believer now, but,.............at 6-8 inches NOTHING GOES, total waste of time. Ride whatever you want and get xc skis as a backup. You're welcome...........

This is the correct answer. (But I push bikes for a living, so what do I know)

Trying to ride skinnies in the snow can create ruts too. This trail was nicely packed snow until you hit a 2" frozen ruts down the center

skinny%20tire-L.jpg

Frozen snow ruts stink too, but I was referring more to the dirt ruts that happen when riding soft trails in the winter, because if they arent fixed, they last all summer. That REALLY stinks.

A big thank you to all that have given me feedback! As always, I learned a few things and may be thinking through my options alittle differently.

It's not so much the depth of the snow that matters (though I agree after 6" it gets difficult even on a fattie). It's the condition of the snow. Let's say it's snowed 3-4 inches. Skinnies will do fine in virgin snow, as will fatties. They will also be equally effective in consistently packed snow. It's the snow conditions in between those two states that will likely tip the scales in favor of the fattie. For example, fresh snow that's been hiked on, resulting in post-holes that will throw a skinny tire off line, which a fattie will steamroll right over.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions