Six Mile in the Snow- bike set-up questions/opinions

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I sold off my blackboro when I heard that c-dale would have a version with 2cm narrower q factor.

Every fat bike on the market has a 2cm narrower Q-Factor. 170mm spaced cranks have been the norm for everyone since day #1 but Salsa didn't get that memo.

I've said it a million times but get something that has the ability to run 5" tires and at least an 80mm rim. 4" tires work well if you live in an area where the trails are well-traveled, otherwise you'll need a 5" to break trail in fresh snow. If it's above freezing most snow isn't rideable with any bicycle as it's just too wet and heavy to push through. Get out early, or at night for best conditions. We did a pretty good job keeping Watchung and Chimney Rock packed and rideable for everyone last winter so I'd expect that to continue as fat bikes grow in popularity. We haven't sold a non-3"+ MTB in months, we literally can not build them or get them in stock fast enough.

@jShort , if normal bikes were all the rage throughout winter, you guys wouldn't have had to spend 900 hours digging a trail for the Short Track Race ;)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Just make sure its not carbon

10991211_10205954459322549_1989485098517278286_n.jpg

I tested this last year and my carbon fiber bicycle did not explode surprisingly. Nor did any of the carbon parts on said bicycle. But it was relatively warm this winter so that may have saved me.

Molasses

That was another question I had- looking at the differences in the ICT models I imagine the difference between 3.8 and 4.8 are pretty substantial- too bad I like black and not blue... ;)

Supermoto

Definitely go wider if you plan to ride snow. you can always throw narrow wheels or tires on for the rest of the year.
Plenty of other bikes besides the ICT, if you have a price point to hit, look at used fatties too

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Here's my .02

Ride what you have until you figure out if you actually like riding in the cold and snow. I have known some to say "oh sounds like fun" till they tried it, then they hated it.
More important than bikes is learning how to dress properly.
I have ridden my bike in all sorts of weather and snowy conditions. Fat bike makes it easier. But is not necessary. I would opt for studded tires before fat tires.
Falling in snow is fun. Falling on ice is not.

6M in the winter: even if it is below freezing, if the sun is shining, the open areas will get muddy and VERY slippery. Think slime on top of ice. This not only makes for treacherous riding, but can create ruts that will then freeze and make the trails just awful to ride. Those ruts will have to be fixed by some poor volunteer at a later date. In the woods the trails will get frost heaves that when it warms just a little will melt, making mud. And again, when you ride them, create ruts. Ruts stink.

6M is a touchy place in the winter. Better to find trails that are more rock or sand based, not clay, or stick to the canal path.

Supermoto

Trying to ride skinnies in the snow can create ruts too. This trail was nicely packed snow until you hit a 2" frozen ruts down the center

skinny%20tire-L.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
You can ride 26" tires until about 4" of fresh stuff. Fat bikes gives you maybe 2 more inches, maybe, in perfect conditions. with no old tracks, maybe. Maybe. That being said, the shop peeps are making a living on you feeding the machine, so buy a fat bike.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Fat bikes became winter specific in places where there are groomed miles of snowmobile roads, then they caught on as the new thing and were brought to the masses. I got put on one as a skeptic and will say they destroy anything else any wheel size any condition 12 months a year. I'm a total believer now, but,.............at 6-8 inches NOTHING GOES, total waste of time. Ride whatever you want and get xc skis as a backup. You're welcome...........

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been mountain biking for 6 years and I think 1 out of 6 (maybe 2 out of 6) years actually had enough snow that I kind of sort of missed not having a fat bike. Last year was one of these years.

I guess the answer depends on some combination of how much money you have to burn and if you will be using it specifically for snow and beach only and how much you are willing to let it sit not doing anything until those somewhat rare conditions in NJ arrive.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now I know I do not "need" a fat bike to ride in the winter but it seems like there are benefits to bigger tires in the snow. Is 3.0 tires "wide enough" or is it a futile exercise? I assume Six Mile gets a ton of traffic and the snow is packed down from other bikes and XC skiers. Additionally, I would love to run SS to minimize mechanical issues and my brain says pushing a set of 3.0 tires in one gear will be much, much easier than pushing a 3.8 or a 4.8 set of tires.

I guess this is kind of obvious, but more volume and lower pressure will give you more traction so bigger is generally better depending on how much snow you have and how much wet roots and rocks you have to deal with and how fast you want to go on the flats. Having said that you will probably be able to ride roughly the same amount of stuff at 6mr with 2.4 tires vs 3.0 tires. Maybe you get to dismount slightly less with 3.0 tires. 3.0 won't float on snow though.

If I could throw on 3.0 tires in the winter when it's snowing, I would.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions