Single speed USA 2018

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
So we're less than two weeks out on this now ... who's definitely in?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been registered pretty much since it was announced.

I fixed my brakes on my SS, put Stan's in the leaking rear tire. I plan on not touching that bike until the night before to check tire pressure so it isn't broken for the race.

The drive there ruins some of the excitement, but I'm still excited.

scotth

I heard there was upside down bikes and rubber ducks, waiting for some reading material, too.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can confirm rubber ducks, upside down bikes, hiking at the beginning and some wrong starts.

IMG_20180804_102847208.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Sounds like this was a complete shit show.

Tell us the stories...

Wasn’t a shit show. It was pretty awesome. Half the field rode ahead of Dejay and thus fucked up by doing loop two before loop one, which meant we reached the rubber duck float and ducky daycare too early (I’ll let someone else explain ducky daycare) but it all worked out. The riding in Port Jervis is awesome ...

The after party was good - Mitch, Larry and Jaime were all in the pixie bike cross race for the championship, but PA local (and pixie bike savant) Jay Drasher took home the belt. Jaime got taken out by the course, but Mitch made it to the final. Oh - during the pixie bike cross race, the riders were being beaten with pool noodles. I left before you next year’s locale was determined by Ken S was somehow on the Texas team and did a great job tossing the pixie bike for points.

In other words, just another SSUSA ... I could say more, but for now here is a photo of Mitch riding his pixie bike through a smoke bomb cloud ...
E9367AE5-2D9A-4942-9DA1-B18855CC458D.jpeg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Wasn’t a shit show. It was pretty awesome. Half the field rode ahead of Dejay and thus fucked up by doing loop two before loop one, which meant we reached the rubber duck float and ducky daycare too early (I’ll let someone else explain ducky daycare) but it all worked out. The riding in Port Jervis is awesome ...

The after party was good - Mitch, Larry and Jaime were all in the pixie bike cross race for the championship, but PA local (and pixie bike savant) Jay Drasher took home the belt. Jaime got taken out by the course, but Mitch made it to the final. Oh - during the pixie bike cross race, the riders were being beaten with pool noodles. I left before you next year’s locale was determined by Ken S was somehow on the Texas team and did a great job tossing the pixie bike for points.

In other words, just another SSUSA ... I could say more, but for now here is a photo of Mitch riding his pixie bike through a smoke bomb cloud ...View attachment 74479
I’ll say this. I was part of the early group and DJ pulled off. We didn’t ride past him. Secondly yes it was supposed to be a neutral rollout and then start at the watershed so...neutral rollout behind cop car just like erie 80. I am there for the race not the party btw. Well the cop car pulls ahead and the officer yells “go go go”. Wtf does that mean? That means we race. I ride with the top 6 up the 5 min rode climb and ten miles in we do the floaty ducks and take off but no arrows. This is where DJ comes flying up the hill and says we fucked up. Well a megaphone at the fountains would have helped. The email saying rollout is at 10 didn’t help the guys that saw race start at 11 in bike reg and did day of reg. They got burned when they got to the fountains at ten and the race was an hour in. On a side note DJ is a cool cat, the swag was pimpin. Ssusa seat bag filled with jim beam, fir crackers, rolling papers, stickers etc. Also an ssusa poster and tshirt. Minus my bitching it was worth it.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ll say this. I was part of the early group and DJ pulled off. We didn’t ride past him. Secondly yes it was supposed to be a neutral rollout and then start at the watershed so...neutral rollout behind cop car just like erie 80. I am there for the race not the party btw. Well the cop car pulls ahead and the officer yells “go go go”. Wtf does that mean? That means we race. I ride with the top 6 up the 5 min rode climb and ten miles in we do the floaty ducks and take off but no arrows. This is where DJ comes flying up the hill and says we fucked up. Well a megaphone at the fountains would have helped. The email saying rollout is at 10 didn’t help the guys that saw race start at 11 in bike reg and did day of reg. They got burned when they got to the fountains at ten and the race was an hour in. On a side note DJ is a cool cat, the swag was pimpin. Ssusa seat bag filled with jim beam, fir crackers, rolling papers, stickers etc. Also an ssusa poster and tshirt. Minus my bitching it was worth it.

-It seems you weren't even there for the race. Race was later in the day, Mitch nearly won.
-There was absolutely no explanation of WTF to expect. That 11am race start on Bikereg probably screwed some people.
-Way fun as 95% of the people there didn't give a shit about the confusion and had a good time.

My only real complaints:
1) Course details would have been appreciated. My freewheel kept fucking up (yay unsealed BMX freewheel and riding in rivers) and I hit the rest stop @ 15 miles. Advertised length was 30 miles so I quit not wanting to get stuck 7 miles into the middle of nowhere, turns out that last lap was 5 miles and most people's races were ~20 miles. So I feel jipped on not getting a full course in.
2) Food should have started at 1pm or so. We ended up eating lunch, , hung out in a cafe, then going to lunch #2 where we didn't eat, then waited around, then food/party started where I was too full to eat.
3) Mitch spilled beer on my shoes. He's lucky I'm not Lou.

Chris(NJ)

I could understand why anyone who went for the racing would've been annoyed at the lack of organization. It was fun, for what it was though. The trails hold up unbelievably well to the rain. Most times you couldn't even tell it rained a few inches the night before. Glad that place is only 90 minutes away. Looking forward to putting some more miles in at those trails.

Top Bottom