Single Speed USA 2016 coming to PA / Raystown

Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it should keep half the field from getting hopelessly lost in Rothrock. But then again, Raystown isn't exactly a true "PA riding experience."

I know George from Darkhorse pulled hard to get it at Stewart's a few years back., I still have faith it will and there one day. Fingers crossed.

Vermont was a blast in 2012, but I think I preferred Winona, MN in 2013. That was just such a fun trip -- that entire area felt like it was built to host events like that. I was signed up for Michigan in 2014, but had to bail because of regular life stuff. The thing the best places seem to have in common for this event is that everything is within biking distance -- the course and the after-party location can all be reached from hotels and/or camping without the use of a car. That might be a challenge for Stewart, but I'm sure they could work something out.

how does Raystown not represent PA riding?
it is my understanding that Raystown was developed by singlespeeders?

I believe that what 1speed is saying, is that Raystown is smooth and flowy single track. That isn't what most of PA single track is like. Most of it is technical, rooty, with rock gardens etc. I love Raystown, it's an extremely fun place to ride, but I don't think it's an accurate representation of what most of PA single track is like.

@1speed said "Raystown isn't exactly a true "PA riding experience."

I was clarifying why he may have that opinion, which is because most of PA mtbing isn't like Raystown.

It's all good my ninja, I was making a not so funny.

I'm working on an app. that will capture sarcasm, body language and tone of voice for all messages sent with text.

Last edited:

I believe that what 1speed is saying, is that Raystown is smooth and flowy single track. That isn't what most of PA single track is like. Most of it is technical, rooty, with rock gardens etc. I love Raystown, it's an extremely fun place to ride, but I don't think it's an accurate representation of what most of PA single track is like.

This.

I have nothing against Raystown - it's an awesome place to ride. But what most people have associated with "PA riding" for as long as I have been riding has been the techy, rocky stuff up in Rothrock and State College.

That said, Raystown is probably the smarter choice for an event like this just because it's so well marked and laid out. I could see people not familiar getting pretty horribly lost on some of the trails up in Rothrock. That won't happen at Raystown so it'll be a lot less stressful for riders and organizers.

This.

I have nothing against Raystown - it's an awesome place to ride. But what most people have associated with "PA riding" for as long as I have been riding has been the techy, rocky stuff up in Rothrock and State College.

That said, Raystown is probably the smarter choice for an event like this just because it's so well marked and laid out. I could see people not familiar getting pretty horribly lost on some of the trails up in Rothrock. That won't happen at Raystown so it'll be a lot less stressful for riders and organizers.

Let's not forget the often overlooked Moosic

There's a lot for hard work and planning that goes onto an event like this. You need a site that will accept 300 drunken mountain bikers for a weekend. Raytown has the facilities. It will be like a mini Dirt Fest.

It's all good my ninja, I was making a not so funny.

I'm working on an app. that will capture sarcasm, body language and time of voice for all messages sent with text.

holo-telepho-smello txt....

Thanks for the answers . I believe Raystown was chosen due to the fact that the whole event is in one place.
the trails do represent what Pa has to offer. Is it super techy maybe not. I do know that there will be a new trail
that no one has ridden yet open only to SSUSA. I also know that the other side of the lake has some rocky terrain also.
Registration is open.

Coming down from Michigan, where 2:1 is standard for most of our trails, wondering what some of you run for gearing on this trail system. (29er)
-Chris

Coming down from Michigan, where 2:1 is standard for most of our trails, wondering what some of you run for gearing on this trail system. (29er)
-Chris

At Raystown? 2:1. But for SSUSA, it's a party first and only a "race" in theory. So run whatever'll make it most fun (and what you can best handle when you're deep "in your cups"!) :D

At Raystown? 2:1. But for SSUSA, it's a party first and only a "race" in theory. So run whatever'll make it most fun (and what you can best handle when you're deep "in your cups"!) :D
Thanks for the gearing info. Can you recommend a place to stay a couple of nights, would like to be close to where the "Parties" are taking place. Also, what other trails do you recommend riding in the area while we are down there?
-Chris

Back
Top Bottom