Single Speed chain skipping on cog, is 18/12 just too small?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Chameleon has a swing dropout so I would probably use that if I do this. I got the Problem Solvers for the full suspension SS.

You sound like you haven't registered yet. Have I ever steered you wrong? Go register. An extra quick link and 10 minutes time and you can have a singlespeed bike. Order the Problems Solvers singlespeed cog adapter for an XD driver now.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You sound like you haven't registered yet. Have I ever steered you wrong? Go register. An extra quick link and 10 minutes time and you can have a singlespeed bike. Order the Problems Solvers singlespeed cog adapter for an XD driver now.
Shit, you’re right. I didn’t think about xd on that bike.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Stan's wheels? Easy, get a Shimano Hub, regular singlespeed conversion kit and cog. Now you're down to a 5 minute switch.

-Steve
The Chameleon has the factory RaceFace wheels with whatever hubs. I have everything to make any Shimano hub SS, I just completely forgot this one is XD. I'll have to grab this adapter of which you speak as I don't have any other Boost wheels I could use.

Never mind, my model appears to use the Shimano style freehub according to SC site. SCORE!

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

@gtluke the White Industries freewheel remover fits better. I find the Park one only kind of fits.

That said, WI freewheels are stupid tight fits. I once struggled to remove one using a BFV/the wheel as a steering wheel after spinning it down finger tight. Yes greased, etc...

Lucky for you, you can buy the sprocket portion separately from the core if you call WI.

gtluke

The Moped
@gtluke the White Industries freewheel remover fits better. I find the Park one only kind of fits.

That said, WI freewheels are stupid tight fits. I once struggled to remove one using a BFV/the wheel as a steering wheel after spinning it down finger tight. Yes greased, etc...

Lucky for you, you can buy the sprocket portion separately from the core if you call WI.

This may have to be my solution. Pop the sprocket off, and put a new 23t version on. Then change the back to a 16 or 17

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
The maximum is 18T. I found that out the hard way when the chain started slipping under power.:) It does state this on the Problem Solvers site. You can use mine if you want, since SSaP is dead.:(
I ran 32/16-21 on my FS topfuel ss with YESS etr-d no problems once I stopped ising mixmatched parts.

mstyer

It’s been years since I owned a front freewheel setup, but I remember some of the frustration. The best trick I found for removing a frozen freewheel is to disassemble it and cut through the inner race until you can break it apart. Incidentally I have a brand new 18t ACS Claw freewheel in my parts bin from my trials days. Also, I’ll second the recommendation of using a tensioner with two pulleys that imitates a rear derailleur.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Wait a second, are you running a front freewheel AND normal rear hub? The rear wheel is suppossed to be fixed. Has nothing to do with your skipping issue but is straight up suicidal for a trials application.

gtluke

The Moped
Wait a second, are you running a front freewheel AND normal rear hub? The rear wheel is suppossed to be fixed. Has nothing to do with your skipping issue but is straight up suicidal for a trials application.
no, my rear setup is weird. It took me a long while to figure out they even made a hub like this.
It's fixed, but shimano splined for a 6 speed cassette.

Steve Vai

no, my rear setup is weird. It took me a long while to figure out they even made a hub like this.
It's fixed, but shimano splined for a 6 speed cassette.

Woah. Never knew they even made that. Must've been made just before they changed 26" rules to allow Single-Speeds.

gtluke

The Moped
Woah. Never knew they even made that. Must've been made just before they changed 26" rules to allow Single-Speeds.
yeah, super annoying for doing what I'm trying to do. I just want to dork around at a bike park but keep the bike able to do trials stuff.
seems all the kids today ride disk and freehub in the rear. guess the brakes are better now and hope makes a trials hub that won't kill you. that would make my life easier but I was trying to do this cheap/easy.
I'll grab an S type tensioner and see if that works. My preliminary testing it still doesn't seem like enough speed though. 18/12 is 1.5, seems that is what some of the dirt jump bikes come with... maybe I'm just used to SS 29ers at 2 to 1

Steve Vai

Well, you're pumping off jumps will become pretty dialed running your current gear.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why?

Top Bottom