Showroom street CRED cars?

mustclime

I was having a conversation with a car buddy about cars you can buy off the showroom floor that give you instant street cred as being a car guy. This goes in the face of built, not bought. Most “car guys” live buy this statement..... you can not buy street credit. Are there cars you can buy that car guys will give you a chance at being a “car guy”?

Here is my list of instant street cred cars....

Porsche GT2,3
Dodge Demon
Honda Type R
Ford GT350
Any Comaro 1le
Alfa 4c
Any C7 corvette with the 07 package

That’s my list, you have any others?

How does "street cred" or a "car guy" tag get bought at a dealership?

I can go to a guitar shop and buy the best guitar on earth, does that earn me respect?

I guess if we are playing this game which is based on money, for me it would be someone spends a but load of money to either build something, or preserve/restore something.

singer porsche
anything the ring brothers (and many others on that talent level) build
etc....

And you can buy anything, doesnt make you a "car guy"
I remember when the first viper GTS came out and a guy showed up to the drag races at the Stroudsborg airport talking all kinds of shit about it. Then got his ass handed to him by just about every car there bc he had no idea what a "drag car" was.

no, you stand out like a sore thumb. just because you have deep pockets doesn't mean anything.

i remember going to a car meet once and this guy had a k20 civic, we started asking him questions about it and he just said "idk, the shop did it".

more japanese muscle plz
japanese-muscle-cars-02102224-1024x633.jpg

4386289316_2c4457d352_o.jpg

Seems to be that the more expensive a car is, the slower its driven. I see these guys all the time in Porsches, Lambos, and Fezza's driving like they just filled the tank with ground glass. There is no instant cred. I give cred to anyone who doesn't drive their fast car like a senior citizen.

I see this in the basement garages all over Asia, they are bought for money Cred only
99.9% just ride in their chauffeured S classes or Maybachs

1521815007917.png

and when they do drive it, crap like this happens when you can't handle 800hp going 30 miles an hour
1521815243602.png

“Showroom” as in new.
How do you get street cred for buying a new car that hasn't been around long enough to get street cred?

no, you stand out like a sore thumb. just because you have deep pockets doesn't mean anything.

i remember going to a car meet once and this guy had a k20 civic, we started asking him questions about it and he just said "idk, the shop did it".

more japanese muscle plz
japanese-muscle-cars-02102224-1024x633.jpg

4386289316_2c4457d352_o.jpg
Yiissss. This guy knows.

Toyota Highlander. Respect to any man who makes a sensible purchase.
Sensible = zero street cred IMO. Street cred kinda requires you to be a little out there.... a 007 package vette has street slicks, carbon brakes that cost 1/10 of the cost of the car and crazy spring rates. The Demon comes 4 drag radials on the car. The gt2 has a roll cage in the car on the showroom floor. This is crazy stuff to buy off the showroom floor.

Sensible = zero street cred IMO. Street cred kinda requires you to be a little out there.... a 007 package vette has street slicks, carbon brakes that cost 1/10 of the cost of the car and crazy spring rates. The Demon comes 4 drag radials on the car. The gt2 has a roll cage in the car on the showroom floor. This is crazy stuff to buy off the showroom floor.
Yes, these would be special cars....well until maybe this showed up
1966-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Recoil-By-Ringbrothers-9.jpg

or this
02-singer-911-phoenix-1100x732.jpg

Simple answer - No

This. You get a gold start today.

Can you heel-toe double clutch downshift because the synchros don't work in your 250k mile transmission when it gets hot? Can you dive into turn 1 as the middle car in a 3 wide mess at the 24 Hours of LeMons? Can you predict how you wil drop 0.5 seconds off your next autocross run? Can you fix your POS with a hammer and a spare lug bolt when stranded on the side of the Taconic? Can you stop using your brakes at the track because you brought the wrong spare pads and still manage to pass someone in the advanced run group? Did you ever sign up for a TSD, forget your stopwatch and calculator, and still finish in the top ten in your class? Can you remove the trans and clutch in 45 minutes because you have done it often enough that you know exactly which ratchet/extensions/sockets to grab on your single trip to your toolbox? Did you ever convince your significant other to follow you somewhere in a second car because you needed help hauling wheels/tires/sheetmetal/bumpers? Have you ever had to patch a radiator or oil pan with JB Weld and some spare change for the larger gaps? This is the stuff that car cred is made of.

I admit that a McLaren F1 gives you some car guy cred.

Back
Top Bottom