Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks guys!

One year closer to the 45+ class and my first prostate exam...LIFE SURE IS GETTING EXCITING!

I finished putting the Mustang transmission and shift linkage back together the other night. I had taken the trans somewhat apart to replace leaking gaskets and seals, then clean and re-grease the shift mechanism...Which as you can see in this video just lives outside and is a giant magnet for dirt and grime....really fabulous system. The little sensor and wire is for the reverse lights. I remember in 1998 when I first too this out of the car, I didnt pay any attention to which link went where in what direction...That was fun trying to get that sorted.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Happy Birthday. Wow no prostate exam yet?? In the family.so been a yearly occurrence for a while...
......"(in Fletch singing voice) ....Mooooon riveerrrrr...."

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Millville Hare Scramble

Im still trying to figure out how this happened exactly....I was thinking yesterday...Last time I really rode a dirt bike (outside of a few easy laps around our short track course) was I believe 2011?....I think. Whatever, in dirt biking years, might as well be 76 years ago.

So little background....I used to ride with my college friends Mike and Justin (aka murph) often before I found mountain biking. Then we all got married, had kids and dirtbiking is one of those thinks that its hard to find time for. Mike and Justin still have bikes tho...(mike owns 7 still actually)...I sold mine back in like 2013 and bought a mountain bike with the money. In the years since, Justin bought a stumpjumper and has ridden with me a few times....Mike races street bikes (although his are 2 stroke full on race bikes) so he has always ridden a road bicycle to help him train. Like a month ago I grabbed both my scalpel and my trigger and took Mike to ringwood for his first mtb ride. We ended up doing almost 3 hour sterling out and back loop. As I expected, mike did great...had a great time and now he wants to get an mtb...So this has all worked out nicely. Anyway, so last week we were together at Murphs 40th bday party and his/mikes wife were encouraging them we need to take a day and go do some riding.....I found this funny, my wife seemed to have the complete opposite reaction :). My wife is used to my days racing at E-town....which is just a completely different activity then riding dirt bikes in the woods....Like going for a ride at Stephens vs doing the red hook crit... Its not the same and not even comparable levels of danger. Anyway, so the seed was planted....However I figured we would just go to our old spot in PA, just tool around. Mike on the other hand wanted to go check out this hare scramble in Millville...While I thought this would be ridiculous after not riding a bike in about 7 years...somehow im like fuck it, lets go.

step 1, find gear up in the attic....my moto jersey dont fit me anymore (im way too skinny now), so i busted out my mtbnj DH jersey...
20181110_175359.jpg

Bob LOVES my Steve Mcqueen tld helmet
20181110_165602.jpg
20181110_165602.jpg

Mike packs up our three bikes in his big diesel truck and we make our way to Millville.....So since I dont own a bike anymore, Mike is lending me his old 2003 KTM SX 250. I have ridden it a couple of times...never liked it for a few reasons.
1. he cuts the bars and makes them way more narrow then my MX bikes were (but ill probably not remember this)
2. its a 250 2 stroke mx bike that is insanely snappy...Its like like the complete opposite from my old 450 in terms of power delivery...I mean im sure I would get used to it, but not what i wanted after not riding for 7 years...I would have loved a nice 125 or 250F yesterday.
3. its big and heavy

So we get there at like 9....We planned to just race the C class, 40+....even then I was sure I would get killed out there, but really the only point to this day was to have fun and not die. Placing in a race wasnt even on the radar...BUT....we got there too late to do the C class, so instead we had to do the A/B race....Little background on what a hare scramble is if you dont know....Its actually alot like a mtb XC race. You start on the MX track which is lets say 1 mile in length, then you head into the woods and in this case do about 6 miles...so lets say its a 7 mile loop total...race is 2 hours long, as many laps as you can do...In my group its A/B, so imagine all cat 1 and cat 2 classes racing together...In A and B there are a bunch of subgroups...We race B-40+ "Senior". They send every group off in 1min intervals....They say go, you have to start you engine and fly. So much like any XC race with this format,...Pros go first, by the time the last cat 2 people get going, pros will soon be lapping them.....This has me a bit concerned as I know in B class I will be pack fodder putting at best.

Anyway...so we get there, unload bikes, get numbers, etc....Mike owns 7 motorcycles, 6 of them are 2 smokers.
20181111_101135.jpg

I got on his KTM, fired it up...try to remember all of the little things..."oh ya...left hand clutch, right hand front brake, right foot rear brake, left foot shifter"....1 ride around the pit and it kinda came right back to me..funny how that works

So we line up and im thinking.....this is like doing a DH race after not riding a bicycle in 7 years...just hop on the bike, go...Man, this is going to be wild. Wave after wave goes off and I cant help but notice how this is totally unlike an moto-x start...where there are 40 bikes on the rev limiter...a wall of noise that is just insane...This is complete silence.

Start give us the signal, I kick, bike fires...let go of the clutch and were off.
GOPR3235.JPG

I spend the first few minutes on the mx track trying to remember how to ride this thing before I get into the woods were it will be muddy, slick, full of holes and ruts/roots.....

We hit the woods and as expected from the early race and race yesterday its a mess of ruts, holes, mud, etc.
GOPR3320.JPG

and mud
GOPR3356.JPG

and more mud

GOPR3423.JPG

Hey good thing I have like 50 HP to power me thru this muck, but its the riding and body movements im trying to remember.

As expected, within 5 min the leaders of the AA group are now coming up on us at what seems like super sonic speed...we move over and try to stay clear as best we can.....Its challenging bc with the course so rough and full of ruts im just trying to pick lines and not crash....you cant really go slow, you have to just go...then worry about people coming up on you. 10 min in and my arms and legs are screaming, course marshals yelling trying to redirect you around deep holes, trying to wrestle this 250lb, 50HP beast. There is ALOT going on......My brain is just stuck in buffering mode trying to process everything. Eventually you forget, block out the noise, focus on lines, turns, and working the clutch. Im doing ok, starting to remember how to set myself into DEEP ruts, although leaning back and powering thru whoops took a couple of laps to start remembering.
We had a plan to try and just ride together but the traffic is making that hard. Mike and I stopped a couple time to wait for murph who was struggling with a trials tire on his bike...NO traction like at all.
GOPR3579.JPG

some parts of the course were great...very few tho
GOPR3589.JPG

After 3 laps and maybe 30-35 min im like there is no way im going to survive for 2 hours of this lol...If we had raced C and I wasnt concerned with getting in peoples way, it would be much easier....moving over really made it hard to find a groove. But whatever im out here already. So I keep going, eventually we get split up after i accidentally sunk my bike in an unmarked mud hole. I have to go around someone who crashed, unfortunately the line I chose took me into this DEEP hole...the bike went in and just stopped.....Thankfully this eager group of like 12 year old kids came running over to help me get it loose...It was suctioned into the mud so it took quite and effort. Got rolling again....Next lap the shifter on the bike comes loose and its now stuck in like 4th gear....So I pull over and im trying to fix it, eventually a marshal comes by with a 10mm ratchet and I get it working...I was telling about how I got stuck in a hole...he then told me about how his some just told him about how they got to help this old guy get his bike out of the mud lol.

Anyway, I catch back up with Mike and we all ride together for a bit...back out on the mx track
GOPR3644.JPG

more pics...to be continued

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We stayed together so a little longer...
GOPR3878.JPG

GOPR3777.JPG
GOPR3805.JPG

the mud holes got bigger every lap
GOPR3878.JPG

GOPR3879.JPG

GOPR6345.JPG

I had to pull into the pit bc im on an MX bike with a 1 gallon fuel tank....so I was not taking any chances of running out and having to push that bike thru the mud. So I refuled, but got split up from the guys. About the same time I started getting into a groove and actually racing with people, my body was just so tired. Like I know you have a motor, but just the effort it takes keeping the bike on line, moving around, absorbing huge bumps and holes....Even after a good day when you dont crash, you still wake up the next morning and feel like you were in a car accident. So I thought about pulling the plug, and I always say..."just quit at the end of this lap"....then you start the next lap and you just have to finish it......Finally at the end of this lap I saw the checkered flag...SWEET!

Roll back to the truck feeling like I had just gotten run over by a car...we regroup and revel in the fact that we A. did the whole race B. didnt die C. had fun.

before
3c6069e7-45ea-43d7-9163-8d1e628f7d1a.jpg

after

still smiling
81677bea-8fa5-4f20-ac8c-92e4bf5ead48.jpg

Today I woke up and wanted to ask my wife if she could help me put my socks on....OUCH....I feel like I did 1000 pushup, 1000 squats, and the bearscat 11 times.

Anyway...so it was fun, I mean i would have had more fun in C where there would have been more people to battle with...B class is not where you start out after 7 years off the bike...It would be like 7 years off a bicycle entirely and jumping into cat 3 at a cx race, your going to get killed. But by the end, i found some guys to battle with and it was enjoyable. Just masks some of the pain your in.

I only had one minor fall which tells me I was being too timid and not pushing hard enough.

Anyway, now thats over, my goal is to get these two at a mtb race.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Little mustang update....work has been slow lately, but I got a little done yesterday

This @#$%^&*() springs has been giving me fits.

I bought new, replacement big block springs as the spring in my car are original and almost 52 years old now. I called around, talked to some people in the know and found what was supposed to be the stock replacements.....right away I noticed that they are like WAY longer than the originals...which wasnt a shocker, I mean after 52 years, perhaps they have settled a bit

IMG_6095.JPG

So I bought an internal spring compressor which you need to get the springs into the shock tower....However, I found it was dam near impossible to compress them enough to get them to fit. I did eventually get them to compress enough, but it was terrifying how twisted up they were, both in the compressor and in the car...They were actually bowing outwards which didnt look right.

Death trap 101
20181204_181022.jpg

So I talked to another guy who sold me the roller spring perches and he gave me a heads up that these springs need to be trimmed....blah blah...lot of conversation about how much trimming later....I ended up cutting off 1 coil.
20181205_053442.jpg
20181205_201803.jpg

So then, while still having to compress it to absurd levels, I was able to get it seated without having it bowing outwards.....

20181205_210222.jpg

So I think this is right, however, no idea until everything is in the car, wheels/fenders back on and I see how its sitting....cant wait!

Anyway, with this done, the rest of the suspension/brakes should be wrapped up soon

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The correct way to fix this is aluminum heads, aluminum intake. Then you're down to the weight of a small block.

Then purchase small-block springs. As of now your spring rate is too high. :)

The other option possibly is the GT-350 modification to the lower control arm. Then you probably would have a better handling car and the springs would fit...

Top Bottom