Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

Now it's starting to pop
IMG955439.jpg

What's that color again? Not stock 67, is it?

I have to look the exact name. But basically "ford dark blue" in todays terms. Its an Axalta paint, which used to be Dupont. Dupont had its own nmaes for these colors but they have all changed

I should add what I mention when I was trying to match this color up a while back. I dont know exactly what color my dad picked in ~1976 when this car was last painted...then it was painted over old green paint with shitty single stage lacquer...So after MUCH searching to match the shade, metallic, etc. This was pretty close.

Also @rick81721 to answer your original question. No this was not an original 1967 color, but its similar to Acapulco blue, which was. Fox example...mind you this is in the sun
1967_00091_02.jpg

Last edited:
I have to look the exact name. But basically "ford dark blue" in todays terms. Its an Axalta paint, which used to be Dupont. Dupont had its own nmaes for these colors but they have all changed

Hard to tell right now but looks similar to Kona blue, but less purple.

my dad tells this story where he dropped off his 69 camaro (the one he still has) and he spent months stripping off every spec of red paint on it, he dropped it off at the body shop and was going to have it painted white. the guy said "imagine if we painted it red again? ha!"

well he came back to pick it up weeks later and when he pulled up, sure as shit it, a red 69 camaro was parked out front, it was his

my dad tells this story where he dropped off his 69 camaro (the one he still has) and he spent months stripping off every spec of red paint on it, he dropped it off at the body shop and was going to have it painted white. the guy said "imagine if we painted it red again? ha!"

well he came back to pick it up weeks later and when he pulled up, sure as shit it, a red 69 camaro was parked out front, it was his

this is awesome !
some turd painted my 69 firebird white, over a great silver. I returned it to silver. well mostly silver.

But how are the gaps?

Happy to finally see paint on this thing after being dropped off for paint like 3 years ago.
Well technically I dropped it off long before I was supposed to but I figured if it was there they might get to it if they were slow... But they didn't get slow, the opposite happened and kade became the goto guy for powertech (Porsche shop)... Then I had them do many things I didn't originally plan on... But in the end, Im getting what I wanted... I original x amount of money I set aside for this project has not changed since the car went there... Im still way under what I budgeted... The only annoying part was time.. And really that was on me not giving any kind of firm dates. Another thing... When my dad fixed up this car around 1975-1977 I was just born and never got to work on it with him...and of course have no memories of it. In the end this extra time will allow me to work on putting the car back together with Bob... Im looking forward to this.

Today was 3 years to the day the tow truck picked it up at my house.... OK Ya that's kinda bad I know, but everything else I'm happy with right now.

Well technically I dropped it off long before I was supposed to but I figured if it was there they might get to it if they were slow... But they didn't get slow, the opposite happened and kade became the goto guy for powertech (Porsche shop)... Then I had them do many things I didn't originally plan on... But in the end, Im getting what I wanted... I original x amount of money I set aside for this project has not changed since the car went there... Im still way under what I budgeted... The only annoying part was time.. And really that was on me not giving any kind of firm dates. Another thing... When my dad fixed up this car around 1975-1977 I was just born and never got to work on it with him...and of course have no memories of it. In the end this extra time will allow me to work on putting the car back together with Bob... Im looking forward to this.

Today was 3 years to the day the tow truck picked it up at my house.... OK Ya that's kinda bad I know, but everything else I'm happy with right now.

Can see your reflection in it. So when are we racing?

How the hell have I been following this damn project for 3 years?

This is an exciting day for Aircraft Carrier fans.

Mooch Madness 2018

Wow, im back. Exactly 335 days since I last entered an XC and finished via ambulance ride. Ok technically I did some unofficial racing at S45, and I did one of the Glen Park Enduros last fall, but this was the first race effort since my ill fated 2017 SSAP.

I have to say, after Short track was canceled and the dogshit weather thru march, I considered just bagging this year entirely. Its been 10 years now that i have been doing this XC thing and some days I find it hard to get motivated. Im probably about 4-6 weeks behind my usual training, plus im 0-6 with races I would have normally done if you count 4 short tracks. But at the end of the day, I do enjoy riding fast in the woods, and as painful as it can be, XC can also be alot of fun.

Anyway, so I wasnt sure I would race. Especially since my lefty on my scalpel has been giving me problems. I think this is my 4th lefty...I have 1 from 2012 13,000miles on it that works perfectly, another 2012 supermax with 7700 miles on it, also perfect, and another from 2008 that never gave me an issue. So im not sure what the deal is with this one, but it has not back to cannondale several times and it wont seems to stay working for more than 15 hrs. But this is why I buy my bikes from @jdog. Its too bad, bc when its working, its the best XC fork I have ever used. Im sure it will get figured out with no ranting required. But for sunday, it was barely functional.

So by the time I decided I was going to race, i was pressed for time, I just decided to go casual with our new button down jerseys and baggys. Jersey is actually super comfortable and very light. If the dam thing had pockets I could put my tools/food in I think I might race in it all the time. I ended up putting my co2, tools, gu flask in my pants pocket and @seanrunnette tells me my ass was hanging out...so there are some issues with this kit. But I love it.

I think there were like 11 or 12 iin the pro class. The start felt pretty tame all things considered. @David Taylor and I brought up the rear for the first five minutes or so until I lost my chain and had to stop. I have a whole new drivetrain in my garage, but my chainring was on backorder so I didnt want to put a new chain on this old beat up ring....so this is what I get. I get going again and soon I catch back up to Dave and another guy who was struggling a bit with the rocky bits of freaking middle. I hang back and just try to remember what this pace feels like after 11 months. Near the end of FM I pass Dave and not long after the guy in front of us. Then I wanted to throw down a hard effort on the downhill and say bye bye....Of course I lose my chain once again and have to stop. I got going without any lost places and after that, I just kept the bike a few gears lower on any downhill...for the rest of the race, this seemed to work. Accelerate hard, then shift down for any bumps.

I think i caught one more guy before the end of lap one....31.5 min or so, like a min or more slower than last year. Not terrible, but I just know im not on the same kind of pace I was in 2017.

Lap 2 I started to get in this lull of eh whatever. I was having fun riding the rocks, trying not to suffer to much. My fork was a pogo stick and forced me to be more cautious than I would normally be, but it was in fact better than @pooriggy s shitty fork. Maybe around the middle of lap 2, i was starting to feel a little better, little smoother. Catching and passing/chatting many of the endurance people....but otherwise uneventful......I got a clean run on the DH this time and when I get out to the lake I can now see Nick M up ahead. I dont think I can catch him, but hes someone to chance. Plus at the split by the lake I see that I have only put maybe like 15-20 seconds on Iggy and company...so I need to start moving my ass.

Lap 3...I can see Nick on the road climb, but he probably got 10-15 sec and I really wasnt climbing very well....But I did try to turn it up. Got thru F.M. clean, saw him again going up the @Mitch slap climb. At Schillings rock he was out of sight, but I decided to give it everything on the last DH to see if i could catch him. Really threw it down and managed to catch up to him near the bottom of ice cream....Nick was super cool for letting me go by and I kept it pinned until the end of the lap. He got close again on the short track switchbacks, but I held him off to the finish line. Thanks to Greg G getting a flat, i ended up 5th. Which hey ill take it after being gone for this long.

So in all a good day. My fitness is still not where it needs to be as evident by my HR doing absolutely nothing yesterday, but I feel like I needed that race.

In all the race went great, and as much as it can be...(like 4 hrs of walking in the snow with bob in my backpack to help sawing down trees on the course) its so awesome when it all comes together and you see everyone out there having fun.

Ill probably do iron furnace next, or work on the mustang..whatever..Thanks @soundz for the great pics!
mm2018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom