Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That actually sounds cheap for a plane.
Exactly what @fidodie just said...The gas is like the FREE part.

Joe was telling me that they had to rebuild/replace the engine in his plane last year after X number of hours...Dont remember how long it had been but $60,000...Everything on a plane is like monopoly money expensive.
(it isn't really the up part that is difficult, it is getting back on the ground)
Ya this part.....Its odd coming from things like driving, biking, motorcycles where im always putting full trust in my eyes...Then you fly and think...ok, im going down...Look over at vertical speed indicator..Huh, no wait im going up. I imagine you figure all of that out with hours.
bike taken apart, and back seat removed from plane works. or two people on an epic beer run. Say to Prison City
Let me parachute out over the kingdom trails

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I love flying. And I've been lucky enough to fly a bunch of different planes although I have no formal training (I have a brother-in-law and a couple of friends who are pilots so when I fly I usually get the chance to take over for a bit under their supervision.) I've always wanted to try for a pilots license, but it really is so expensive to do it that I just don't see why anyone would do it outside of the military. The way you described flying at night (like following white lines on the road) is actually very similar to the way you pilot a glider in the day. I had the chance to do that a few years ago - basically, once you cut away from the tow plane, you're just keeping the crosshairs in line. The whole thing is controlled by two foot pedals and one rudder handle. But you really NEED to keep them all in line or else you can lose control very quickly (get the nose pointed too far up or down and shit goes bad very quickly.) The guy who took me up for that flight was a career air force guy and he said flying a glider well is harder than any other kind of flying. When he told me that, I gave him back the controls ... :D. If you ever want to try that, there are a bunch of places out this way that offer rides when the weather is right - the one I did is in Hilltown, PA just north of where I live.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny, until you mentioned that...I thought Bucknell was in NY lol. Joe's daughter went to Susquehanna which is how he know about the town.

When we got bored of Bucknell girls/parties, we'd grab dinner at BJ's and head over the SU for their parties. The girls there were a little easier. To talk to.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Were finally getting somewhere

cb720dp.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
AWESOME. How soon can you race @rick81721?

My car has run 12.80 at 110.4 once....there are probably like 10 stock SUVs that could wipe the floor with it. Nevermind modern sports cars..

This is how old Utah will be when they finish his car.
fair, although part of this is my own doing so im not complaining. I had a block of X dollars set aside for this project that I invested....In the time i have been working on the car, the amount has stayed the same despite having the body work done. So its worked out ok. Im happy that bob is a little older now and can help me....(I lol'd after reading that back)

rick81721

Lothar
fair, although part of this is my own doing so im not complaining. I had a block of X dollars set aside for this project that I invested....In the time i have been working on the car, the amount has stayed the same despite having the body work done. So its worked out ok. Im happy that bob is a little older now and can help me....(I lol'd after reading that back)

I forgot, how much of the final project are you doing yourself?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I forgot, how much of the final project are you doing yourself?

Well once the "shell" is painted. Ill bring it back home...
suspension ill do myself, I have all new everything for that sitting in boxes in my attic
fuel tank, lines, brakes, brake lines....all new new...although I still need to get the rear disc
engine is done and sitting on the stand, need to finish putting the trans back together(I took it apart and replaced all of the old gaskets). Then ill put them both on my cradle so I can assembly the new HYD throwout bearing/clutch on the floor before putting it in the car. I dont want to have to yank that trans in and out several times .
Put the drivetrain back in...
Interior...seats are done, rest of the new stuff I bought already
theres like 9 wires in this car, so I hesitate to say "do the wiring"

Stuff im having other people do for me:
Original instrument cluster im sending to a guy in Cali and he is going to fix my broken original tach.
The guy who redid my seats will install my headliner
then ill have someone put the new windshield/rear window in
I was going to do it myself, but the trans shop by me told me $100, so im going to have him swap in the posi unit and reassemble the 9" center section I have. For $100, DONE. Im sure there will be other stuff that pops up, but I think most of the rest of it I can handle. ...I mean this is a old mustang, its not too complicated. the trim is what worries me most, stupid clips can be a nightmare.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man what a weekend. I havent felt the desire to recap one in a while, but this was a good one....

Way back in September, I was asked by my company to go to NJIT for the career fair as the mechanical engineering "adviser" of sorts. Other than it being 900 degrees that day, I had a great time chatting with the students and meeting a quite a few of them. While I was there, I stopped by some of the booths that the student organizations had set up....These are like the robotics club, concrete canoe for the civil engineering people, etc...Eventually I found the NJIT SAE Aero team also had a booth. The SAE Aero competition was something I did when i went to NJIT and it was by far the most fun and best learning experience I had when I was at school. It is a competition put on every year by the SAE (society of automotive engineers) in which the students are giving a set of specs and they have to design and build a model airplane. There is also a weight lifting aspect and you are scored in part by how much weight your plane can lift, fly, land with. When we did it in 2003, the rules were a spec 0.51 cu in engine and a max of 72" wingspan. Plane must be able to take off in 200' of runway. That was about it. So with this info, the team of us... about 10 people in all started designing the plane on paper and later building it. I joined the team during the second year and the original members had a good knowledge base by then. We got the plane together, started testing, and testing, and testing some more until that plane few like a C-130. Our competition was at Wright Patterson AFB that year bc it was the 100th anniversary of the Wright bros. flight. What a great time...I mean it was one of the rare times in college that i got to live like a college kid for a week or so. Although it was still a tremendous amount of work. Competition went excellent, IIRC we finished 4th or 5th overall out of ~100 colleges, universities and nations (Brazil and Poland)...I swear I think embraer built the Brazilians plane. Anyway, our final competition plane (we built 2 prototypes for testing and crashing) weighed in at around 6.5lbs, and we ended up lifting over 17lbs as I recall. With 9.8lbs of thrust, we were around a 2.5:1 thrust to weight ratio.....so it took like 198 of the 200' runway to get it to fly.

The "Wild Turkey"....Named after the booze.
DSC00560.jpg

test flying it
Picture1.jpg

Something I did in school that I still am to this day very proud of. My team was an EXCELLENT group of individuals who all went on to be successful engineers, college professor, etc. ( One of them designed and installed @Norm s central air conditioning) But we were not your typical engineering students. Most of us had a more blue collars, tinker with cars, motorcycles, etc kind of background. So we approached this project with the same mindset as we would any other sort of racing. Somewhere along the line we or more specifically our team leader had this experience with Stephens and felt that we at NJIT were looked down upon as the state school scummy misfits. Whether or not that was true, was irrelevant...we were however VERY motivated by kicking the living shit out of the bigger, fancier private schools. And we did, BADLY. Killed Stevens, RIT, MIT, TCNJ, AFIT, Embry Riddle....Unlike alot of other teams...we had NO SUPPORT...in fact we even had to put in our own money to be on the team and pay for things. In the end, it was a great experience...im still friends with several of the team...great bunch of guys and 16 years later, we still love talking about it.

DSC00557.JPG

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....fast foward 5 million years.
My current company sponsors these teams....I was able to arrange for them to sponsor the current NJIT Aero design team who I had initially met back in september. So as a part of this, sometimes the teams come to our office and give us a little presentation, etc. I thought, maybe it would be more helpful if we went to NJIT and gave the current team a little run down of what we did...what worked and what didnt. So on Saturday, I got together a couple of former teammates/long time friends and we went down to go see what the current team is doing and see if we could offer some help.
Our former team captain Mike going over our landing gear and why solid aluminum wheels with no rubber worked better....(things you wont really know until you do some testing)
20180217_134731.jpg

This was great fun. The students seemed interested in our opinions, feedback on their design.... they all listened and I think we were able to give them some useful information. An added bonus of course is that it was great being able to rehash our experience with a group of people who wanted to listen....id be surprised if any of you are still reading by now :)
The current team is suffering from a bit of what we did our first year....when you start from 0...designing a plane is totally foreign...then building it....then it has to fly and compete...oh ya, someone has to actually fly it and they are hard as FUCK to fly. So we gave them a little run down on the important aspects...Like the plane WILL crash, design it so it can be quickly repaired. I think they will be happy to just fly a plane this year...which is kinda where we were....but in year two, we wanted to win.

Anyway, great experience and hopefully we will get to do it again.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That does sound like an awesome project and great way to learn. There is book smart and then there is build-something-smart. Getting the plane to fly is really awesome.

I hope you are funding a carbon fiber plane, aluminum is so 2003:)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That does sound like an awesome project and great way to learn. There is book smart and then there is build-something-smart. Getting the plane to fly is really awesome.

I hope you are funding a carbon fiber plane, aluminum is so 2003:)
Funny you mentioned carbon fiber....Its now for whatever reason, banned from competition. Im thinking maybe because some of the bigger teams were making carbon fiber monocoque's or something...not sure. BUT we used carbon fiber for our wings. Our wings were a foam core, with carbon fiber strips for reinforcement...then we put them in a vacuum bag....not unlike how you would make a carbon fiber bike frame...we just had to make our own vacuum pump
wing.jpg

vacuum bag.jpg

Wings before we monocoted them...we used carbon fiber in the joints for the polyhedral wing. That wing was so strong, I swear you could have used it as a pull up bar.

turkey.jpg

Then we made out fuselage a truss design...cut all of these little pieces by hand....mortise and tendon joints epoxied together....We made 3 of these IIRC and made the plane modular...so we had spare wings, fuselage, tail booms, landing gear, etc....anything broke, we could swap it out really fast.
trusses.jpg

Man I learned alot working with these guys...

jackx

Good stuff. Glad to read this. Soundz like a really cool project, and a great learning experience.

Perhaps you took more interest (than the average MTBer) in the R/C planes often flying at the R/C field on Kinney Rd. a bit further up the road from the Stephens SP Iron Gate. Not sure if they fly at that field anymore. The coolest plane I've seen flying there looked like a B-25 Mitchell.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
can the wing spars/stringers/ribs be 3d printed now?

cool stuff - interesting you didn't have a hershey bar wing.

you want real lifting? how about a coconut laden swallow.

1519089739242.png

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff. Glad to read this. Soundz like a really cool project, and a great learning experience.

Perhaps you took more interest (than the average MTBer) in the R/C planes often flying at the R/C field on Kinney Rd. a bit further up the road from the Stephens SP Iron Gate. Not sure if they fly at that field anymore. The coolest plane I've seen flying there looked like a B-25 Mitchell.
So I have always been very into planes, but until this competition I knew exactly 0 about model airplanes. In fact only one member of our team and any experience with model planes, and he flew lightweight, overpowered stunt type planes.....The complete opposite of what we had for the competition. SAE has three competitions...The aero, baja (where you build a little dune buggy) and the formula team, where you build what is essentially a shifter cart powered by a honda CBR 600 engine. This is what we originally wanted to do, but there was no support and we needed like $25,000 to do it. No way that was happening, so the plane was the most doable.

So the landing gear was something that we did a little trial and error with. First off, regular model airplane wheels could not handle the weight of this plane...It was about 24lbs fully loaded and they would just fall apart. So we tried something like roller blade wheels, and while they were strong enough, the problem was they had too much grip. When they plane would land when loaded, it would usually hit pretty hard...With tires that gripped the pavement, the plane would sometimes grab and flip...So with solid alum. wheels, the plane would land and skid around on the pavement....at worst it would slide to a stop. worked great.

this was loaded with 17.1 lbs...the plane was designed to lift ~18.5 (uncorrected for weather, etc) so it was pretty close to max weight. It still flew great, but landing it was really tricky. You can see the kind of hits the wheels would take

landing gear.jpg

can the wing spars/stringers/ribs be 3d printed now?
I think there are percentages of how much 3d printed material you can use...Id have to go look up the latest rules.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I have always been very into planes, but until this competition I knew exactly 0 about model airplanes. In fact only one member of our team and any experience with model planes, and he flew lightweight, overpowered stunt type planes.....The complete opposite of what we had for the competition. SAE has three competitions...The aero, baja (where you build a little dune buggy) and the formula team, where you build what is essentially a shifter cart powered by a honda CBR 600 engine. This is what we originally wanted to do, but there was no support and we needed like $25,000 to do it. No way that was happening, so the plane was the most doable.

I did the Formula SAE team when I was at stevns, and the team was woefully undersupported, we had to do our own fundraising/sponsorship searching and everything, it was a senior Design (capstone) project as well as a club so they got a little bit of budget from each (like maybe $1000 combined, the rest was on us). idk how it was back when you were at NJIT, but stevens woefully undersupported both of the SAE competition teams while i was there, which is a shame as it gave me alot of very practical experience.
When i was there the limit was a 600cc engine, we used a suzuki gsxr engine in our car

Top Bottom