Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@The Heckler did post a question that I was going to make a post about.

Work is progressing on the Mustang and I stopped by on Friday to chat with kade and Scott about the color... The color has always been an issue throughout this process for a few reasons.

I want the car to look as it did... but its not the original color and who knows what color the guy used. Plus even if i knew the color, it was done in lacquer over like 3 different color bases...The original green, red primer for the new parts, and a white front fender. So kade does have the camera which can analyze the paint and give you a best match...Only one problem...Seems that in the however long its been since we started, all of the panels have had the original blue removed. You can use a photo, but thats tricky because the lighting with throw it off. I found one last part at my house with the original paint, it had been in a box for over 40 years and never put on the car. But it was a little to small to use the paint camera on it. Kade had a suggestion for getting started...He dug out his dads old book of paint chips and gave it to me. In his mind, a body guy would want to pick a common color that he could get, so lets start here. My father used to tell people the color was midnight blue, but i know there was no midnight blue offered on a 67 Mustang...But its a start. So as we all know in the adult world, time is money...So I just took the book home with me and figured this was something I could handle.

Took me a few hours, but I think I got it....

Bright dark blue, ford color that started in 1973...AKA Glow blue, AKA midnight blue....Man this looks close. Kade is going to order up a little and do a test panel

20170624_225109.jpg
20170625_082607.jpg

Heres what it looks like on an old ford pick up

001.jpg

my car
208619_1017804893527_3295_n.jpg

So I think its close...good starting point anyway. I mean it wont look exactly the same as the old paint job on my car was like 1 step above rattle can. I dads buddy told me that he paid his friend $200 for everything...and even in ~1975, thats not getting you anything high quality

In other news....Cast is officially off....I managed to type out this post while waiting in the doctors office

20170624_225109.jpg
20170625_082607.jpg

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
mmmmm that's going to be a good looking blue.

Excited to see some post spray shots. WHEN WILL WE SEE COLOR?!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mmmmm that's going to be a good looking blue.

Excited to see some post spray shots. WHEN WILL WE SEE COLOR?!
Update...nearly 2 months later...we FINALLY got the color right.

Seems that you cant just pick a 30 year old color out of an old book and bam, done. Paint is just not made the same any more and the "cross reference" ends up giving results that dont come out right. Its kinda like looking up a recipe in the 60s, but then making it with modern ingredients...its just not going to come out EXACTLY the same. The shades were wrong, the size and color of the metallic....Plus my desire to use a "standard" off the shelf color, not something custom...Just incase I need to have something fixed down the road. Oh and the paint we are using is made in germany and goddamit...they dont specialize in old ford colors. However, we did finally find it...It was a single stage, but the company was able to reformulate it to a base/clear. This looks pretty close to me...and if it isnt, fuck it...I like it. DONE
CsO2jau.jpg

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Update...nearly 2 months later...we FINALLY got the color right.

Seems that you cant just pick a 30 year old color out of an old book and bam, done. Paint is just not made the same any more and the "cross reference" ends up giving results that dont come out right. Its kinda like looking up a recipe in the 60s, but then making it with modern ingredients...its just not going to come out EXACTLY the same. The shades were wrong, the size and color of the metallic....Plus my desire to use a "standard" off the shelf color, not something custom...Just incase I need to have something fixed down the road. Oh and the paint we are using is made in germany and goddamit...they dont specialize in old ford colors. However, we did finally find it...It was a single stage, but the company was able to reformulate it to a base/clear. This looks pretty close to me...and if it isnt, fuck it...I like it. DONE
CsO2jau.jpg
I had a customer in the same situation with paint for his 50s Porsche 356. He ended up waiting like a year with samples sent back n forth from az before he found some guy on craigslist to transport it back for him. The old pastel colors ate very tricky to match.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
...like when Bob gets creative with a screwdriver.
View attachment 56138
I always remember this one day in my garage with my dad as a kid. I was 6 because I remember my dad telling me the mustang "was 15 years old"...thus it made this 1982. The car was surrounded in the garage by piles of other stuff. We were going to take it for a ride and my dad was clearing the stuff around it...Something like a wrench...large metal object fell as my dad was moving one of these boxes and hit the car door right on the crease, left a big scratch. He looked and said "mother fucker"....I swear I remember that like it was yesterday...And for the next 35 years I used to look at that same scratch in the car and laugh every time I saw it. Maybe some things are best left unfixed.

After this paint job, the car will be stored inside of a bubble, surrounded by a mote of flaming gasoline, inside of a locked garage. Bob will be fully stretch wrapped from head to toe before being allowed to so much as look at a picture of it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow has it been since August?

What can I say, sometimes im in the mood to write about whats doing, most days im not....but I got to fly the other night which was awesome. If you have the opportunity to go for a ride in a small plane (provided you trust the pilot..like ALOT) definitely take it. In this case Joe Monga...who I trust completely...Funny I have been talking to Joe about planes for ten years now, but I have never had a chance to go for a ride in his plane. I have been in a few other small planes, maybe 5-6 times. Im a huge geek for airplanes....many times I thought about trying to get my pilots license...I ultimately talk myself out of it as I don't feel I have the right personality to be a great pilot....And you know...Being a pilot isnt like being a mountain biker...You can be an ok mountain biker and still have fun and enjoy the sport...being a average pilot isn't a something to aspire too :) That and of course its a metric shit ton of money.

Joe has a Piper Dakota....I have actually flown in one of these well very similar...(cherokee 4cyl version)
6h8pdRU.jpg

Plan was to take off from Caldwell and head to Selinsgrove PA...which is near Harrisburg on the Susquehanna River..about an hour or so flight time. Hop in, go through the check list, start engine....(has carb so much like my mustang...this can take a while when its cold) Taxi out...go thru checklist again...this is where I would worry about myself as a pilot...Im not a natural checklist person.

Take off into the sunny haze and its really hard to see/spot other planes in the area. Joe doesnt mention it...but I get the vibe of..sight-see later...right now, keep your eye out for other traffic. Like when the tower is telling you...there is a plane here....See him? nope...hmmm. well hes there..you should see him...SHIT. Anyway we soon climbed above the haze and out of Caldwell/Morristown/Newark traffic. Always a bonus:
Inked20171128_154914_LI.jpg

Joe sets the auto pilot and we have a nice ride out to the airport watching the sun go down
xgFjJji.png

Susquehanna river
1ihVc94.png

So as you come into land at this airport there is a large hill to your left and you drop down and fly into this narrow valley before landing. The little garmin computer calmly says in its robot voice: WARNING TERRAIN!!! over and over as to not upset the non pilot passengers. Didnt bother me, but I could see it freaking out some people....I stopped taking pics here as I felt like i might be distracting the pilot...and dont distract the pilot..(this is a time where I will stop talking)
jdSlQyX.png

So we land..pull up to the gas pump...then take the airport courtesy car (free car...just bring it back with gas in it..sweet!) into town and grab some dinner
AUKDJ9b.jpg

Back to the plane...which is now freezing and again like starting up the mustang. This I was excited for as I have never flown on a small plane in the dark. Its funny with planes...you can have all of this equipment inside to make things more save...Yet Joe has to use a flashlight to run thru the checklist and check all the settings on the panel.
Didnt get any good pics in the dark
nZnrSxS.png

Soon after we took off and got up to 6000' Joe let me take over flying. I have gotten to fly several times, but never in the dark. Little different using just the instruments...Which since im not a pilot and dont have any feel for flying is what i tend to do if I get a chance to fly.....Kind of reminds me of when you are riding on the road and you make an effort to stay exactly on the white line....when you focus on trying to do this, its a little tiring. Same with trying to keep a plane on an imaginary line making small adjustments while watching the horizon, heading, altimeter and vertical speed indicator....which im sure you with time you figure out. I flew until we were over the Rockaway mall where Joe took over and took us up to Lincoln park...I guess you need to do X night landings ever 90 days or so...He needed a couple of extra landings for this time period. As we get near the aiport, I guess keying the mic on a certain frequency turns on the runway lights...like the clapper. Well thats useful....we land, turn around, take off, then land again...Then we took and made the short flight back to caldwell skimming over Jose Tejas.

What a fun trip...like I said, if you have a chance to do this, definitely go...well unless you are the kinda of person who has the death grip in an airliner...than its probably not for you. Oh and if you are looking for a share in a plane, Joe is currently looking for another partner.

I strava'd the flight...as you can see by the lines the auto pilot flew there...I flew back
https://www.strava.com/activities/1294834251/overview

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BJ's in Selinsgrove, PA?? Damn that was a college hotspot for me.
Funny, until you mentioned that...I thought Bucknell was in NY lol. Joe's daughter went to Susquehanna which is how he know about the town.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmmm

Utah, get your pilots license so we can go to Pittsburgh an get Jamie when he has breaks in school.

Jesus, I merely think about getting my license and i got people bumming rides already....you know what these dam things cost to operate? You could probably Uber yourself to Pittsburgh cheaper :)

Actually...so we flew 296 miles...flight time of 2hrs 13min total...we burned thru $150 in fuel...So thats about $0.85 a minute in gas alone?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@fidodie has a plane and pilots licence too. I am still waiting for my ride.
I think he gave that up? @fidodie ?

What timing! I went and did my flight review this morning, and now can exercise the privileges of my licence!
Since i took 3 years off, i might want to get in some practice before taking people up. (it isn't really the up part that is difficult, it is getting back on the ground)

dakota is a workhorse, with a 200+ hp engine, and big hershey bar wings, can carry lots of fuel and "stuff"
i've got more of the datsun 280 Z - 180 hp mooney, laminar flow wings, 2 people, some luggage will leave room (meaning weight restrictions) for fuel, which tends to be important.

they cruise around the same speed - somewhere around 160 mph .

glad you got out - night flying this time of year is amazing. air is quiet, and the plane performs well because of the air density.

---

as a side note, operating the plane is cheap compared to maintaining it. figure $400/month before flying (insurance, tie down outside, inspections, random shit like a new cover),
and $100+/hr to fly - cause shit wears out when you fly it,
and it could sit there all year, but still needs an annual inspection where they always find something. Oil changes are a few hundred, and they are done every 50 hours.
the subscription to the avionics data is expensive (updated every month)
partners really help. funny, the plane isn't really that expensive.

i could use a couple new partners myself. it is currently two guys and me. I'd actually take their influx of money and upgrade the avionics.

---

bike taken apart, and back seat removed from plane works. or two people on an epic beer run. Say to Prison City

Top Bottom