Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So its been what like 10 days now?

My face has been healing up pretty well I think...I mean I almost look as homely as I did a few weeks ago.
20170601_214048.jpg

My arm doesnt have any pain...however last week I was reminded what happens when you crash off trail at stewart...Poison ivy from head to toe. I get PI often, usually doesnt bother me...This time however it was on my arm, inside my cast. After 24 hours of pouring calamine lotion down my cast, I decided to call my doctor and get a script for prednisone....Hate taking this stuff, but it was either that or saw my arm off at 3am. PI went away in like 24 hours....The elbow cast is annoying as hell and after many trainer rides....well just imagine wearing wool underpants that you cant change for 3 weeks. 13 more days of this cast, it should be covered in flies by then.
This !@#$%^&*( thing
20170529_181020.jpg

So thats bad part. Good part is that after only 10 days, my arm feels mostly fine...Other than I cant remove lids from jars, that motion still hurts. So I feel like ill be back to riding normally someday soon.

In other news...what I can say about my new job other than after 3 days im loving it. People are really nice, work is interesting, office is great, hours work out well for me....There is a gym right down the hall...unlike @The Heckler communist company, there is free coffee...Oh and with my salary increase...hell I think I might go out and get those bike name tags like the real pros use. Maybe i'll even hire me a coach @Norm ...WAIT....maybe im baller enough now to buy a rapha jersey?

Bobs uncle brought the work truck home over the weekend...the boys we loving the siren
20170528_172822.jpg

Attachments

• 20170601_214048.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
So its been what like 10 days now?

My face has been healing up pretty well I think...I mean I almost look as homely as I did a few weeks ago.
View attachment 52823

My arm doesnt have any pain...however last week I was reminded what happens when you crash off trail at stewart...Poison ivy from head to toe. I get PI often, usually doesnt bother me...This time however it was on my arm, inside my cast. After 24 hours of pouring calamine lotion down my cast, I decided to call my doctor and get a script for prednisone....Hate taking this stuff, but it was either that or saw my arm off at 3am. PI went away in like 24 hours....The elbow cast is annoying as hell and after many trainer rides....well just imagine wearing wool underpants that you cant change for 3 weeks. 13 more days of this cast, it should be covered in flies by then.
This !@#$%^&*( thing
View attachment 52824

So thats bad part. Good part is that after only 10 days, my arm feels mostly fine...Other than I cant remove lids from jars, that motion still hurts. So I feel like ill be back to riding normally someday soon.

In other news...what I can say about my new job other than after 3 days im loving it. People are really nice, work is interesting, office is great, hours work out well for me....There is a gym right down the hall...unlike @The Heckler communist company, there is free coffee...Oh and with my salary increase...hell I think I might go out and get those bike name tags like the real pros use. Maybe i'll even hire me a coach @Norm ...WAIT....maybe im baller enough now to buy a rapha jersey?

Bobs uncle brought the work truck home over the weekend...the boys we loving the siren
View attachment 52825
update: new building last September = free coffee

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hooray!

jhBQDSE.jpg

Cast number one finshed!!!

I debating keeping this thing, but it smelled like burnt meatloaf when they cracked it open so I figured I would let them toss it in the biohazard bin

So the good news...Doctor said my fracture is healing really well, better than he expected....Bad news...He insisted on me having another cast. I lobbied for a removable cast, to which he responded with "you will just remove it"...He would have gave me my wish, but what convinced me to go with the cast is that he said my arm was healed enough to ride without and worry of regular use making worse. And the cast would better protect me in case I did crash... With that in mind, the second he was done wrapping it, while the cast was still hot and soft...I booked out of there, ran to the elevator and grabbed the handrail as tight as I could...This formed the hand portion into something that matches up better with my handlebar. Then after work I went home and hopped on my trigger for a test ride around the driveway. It as still bulging a bit, so I put my hand in the vice and flattened it down a bit more. With that, I headed out on my first ride since my crash...goddam did that feel good...even if it was 100 degrees

srI6tf4.jpg

So now I have this cast...its still annoying as fuck, but like 300% less fucking annoying than the elbow cast...Least I can tie my own shoes.

Its not terrible riding with it...Like maybe 80%...Its really hard to pull up over logs, turning right is a little tricky, and I cant really get a great grip on the bar...Good enough though...beats the shit out of the trainer

Did 90 min with Aaron and Steve ....The last night I rode from my house to join @sacaro @JimN @graveyardman67 @trailhead and company for the split rock ride...Ended up with 23miles and 3 hours...Havent done that in a while and by the end i was smoked...At one point I found myself following Bill down the new red decent.....i was a little off, but its not that bad.

After 3 days in a row, 6.5 hours...no pain, no problems...I have another appointment on the 27th, hopefully that will be the last of this cast. We'll see.

This saturday ill be doing the mtbnj group ride at stewart...Bummed I tossed that cast, I wanted to nail it to that tree.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe with the stink cast you could have cleared the scoring area for us...you are so freaking selfish. Thanks man:)

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All I learned from Wildcat Wednesday this week is that I'm much better at riding log and rock obstacles than @UtahJoe. He kinda sucks at it actually.

Maybe with the stink cast you could have cleared the scoring area for us...you are so freaking selfish. Thanks man:)

I made a comment about this last night. Utah said he can wash this cast. He didn't say that he would necessarily, but he said he could.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All I learned from Wildcat Wednesday this week is that I'm much better at riding log and rock obstacles than @UtahJoe. He kinda sucks at it actually.

I made a comment about this last night. Utah said he can wash this cast. He didn't say that he would necessarily, but he said he could.

It's possible, but afterwards I need to dry it with a hairdryer completely... Which so far this week I haven't had time for.... And it's like like you clean your arm... it's like washing your foot while you're still wearing your shoes

Last edited:

huffster

Glad to read that recovery is going well.

So much goodness in these couple of sentences. I was smiling from ear to ear reading it.

I booked out of there, ran to the elevator and grabbed the handrail as tight as I could...This formed the hand portion into something that matches up better with my handlebar. Then after work I went home and hopped on my trigger for a test ride around the driveway. It was still bulging a bit, so I put my hand in the vice and flattened it down a bit more.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not sure ill have any race recaps for the rest of the year...I mean unless I recap a cross race...which who knows, I might. That said, I did join @jShort @pooriggy @Kirt @BrianGT3 @mbruno Mitch (who I think is onthis board) and a couple of others for the thursday night pain train at CR last night. Since my crash I have been doing easy trainer rides where I more or less spin for an hour and channel surf. Then I spent last week doing some easy pace mtb rides. Last night though, ouch, havent done that kind of pace since SSAP. I was definitely at little off, plus it was hot as all hell, but in all I felt pretty good. The cast was interesting...It does limit me somewhat...I cant really grab hold of the bar...I kinda rest my hand on it and hold on with my 3 fingers...it works, but the piece of my cast that rests on the bar means my hand is not really in contact...Thus I cant feel any feedback in my hand...So when im pushing hard in turns, I cant get my usual sense of what the front tire is doing. Plus at race pace, CR is really tough when you dont know it well. Many sharp/blind turns, off camber, full of rocks...Its a really great place to do these kind of rides, very good practice. I hung in pretty well, but I could not stay with Kirt and Jeremy on several of the downhills, and by the end...some of the uphills. Felt great to be pushing the pace again though.

In other news, the guys are doing the final prep on the mustang before paint....blocking it out.

IMG957435.jpg
IMG957436.jpg
IMG957433.jpg

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mjshortell

Great seeing you on the trails again Utah. Me thinks you'll be back sooner and stronger than you were pre crash.
I have been thinking about this when riding lately...I have had several huge crashes on my dirt bike that I remember the moment of impact well. Like when I broke my leg...ill never forget that moment when I felt it actually break...But with this crash, honestly the only thing I remember is the landing, then staring at the tree coming up, then it lights out. Next thing I was talking to ross...So as im riding lately, it hasnt seemed to have any effect on my speed

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
Save me the searching and re-reading. What color did you decide on? Dad vintage or factory correct?

Top Bottom