Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

kush

Ok, Ilya, you baited me to respond. I shake my head at the 20-minute test because I don't think it provides enough information. It only determines your average power for 20 minutes. Developing an entire plan based on that number is a pretty big guess.

I think we said the same things in a different way.

I also questioned the 20 min test because it is possibly error-prone and is somewhat in a vacuum. Of course it doesn't provide enough information to base an entireplan. Who said it did?

From what I see, the 20min test has to be one of the better ways of baselining your training regimen, particularly in the offseason when you don't have races to extract from.

You are correct about the CPs, but how are you going to work on your critical power exactly without a consistent way of setting your FTP? That's my point. There are of course 4-5 other ways, but this seems to be the easiest to apply, on regular intervals, with a manageable degree of error.

I think puppies are cute.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
All of these guys will say that training is an art. As such, a lot of it is guessing. If you knew exactly what to do there wouldn't be so much discussion about it. And it wouldn't really be as much fun. Math is boring.

I stand by my contention that Friel is not a good place to start. Its kinda like learning Latin before you learn Italian.

As the dinosaurs go, I'm a firm believer that they were heavy smokers.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I stand by my contention that Friel is not a good place to start. Its kinda like learning Latin before you learn Italian.

As the dinosaurs go, I'm a firm believer that they were heavy smokers.

maybe it's the lack of pain meds talking, but isn't Italian kinda based on Latin?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So last week my wife, her sister, my boss, his wife, both of his kids and my coworker all came down with this stomach bug. Happens all the time and 99% of the time I never get sick, this must have been the 1%er. Left work at 5 and my stomach was feeling a bit funny. Got home and layed down on my bed for a bit....By the time 7pm came I was on a rapid weight loss program. I dont vomit often, last time was in 2005. When I do, its completely crippling. I get this chill in the back of my neck and often pass out. Anyway by 9pm I was certain I had the ebola thing from the movie "outbreak" although I hadnt see a monkey running around anywhere. My wife is always having stomach issues, vomits every time she drinks and works in an ER...so puking is very "ya, so what?" Anyway, told zoefran would help, but I would have to go to the ER and see a doc to get it. By this time I was dry heaving every 5min or so, and im not even going to mention what else was going outback. So she called her mother and thankfully, she had one zoefran left in her house. So she drove down to parsippany and brought it back. This worked really quickly. In about 10min, I settled down. Kinda slept a little bit last night. My back went out from dry heaving, so now I look like a broken hunchback.

Starting to feel a bit better. From 6pm to 5am I lost 6lbs. Its quite an amazing weight loss program. If anyone is interested ill be glad to come over and lick your untensils :)

Speaking of puppies.....when your puking and sleeping on the bathroom floor its the dog that will come in and keep you company.

Attachments

• elsafloor.jpg
    elsafloor.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 284

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
maybe it's the lack of pain meds talking, but isn't Italian kinda based on Latin?

isn't latin like the base of all european language?

Never mind, wiki knows best

Nowadays the six most widely spoken standardized Romance languages are Spanish/Castilian (about 500 million), Portuguese (about 240 million), French (about 250 million), Italian (about 70 million), Romanian (about 30 million), and Catalan (about 14 million). Among numerous other Romance languages are Corsican, Emiliano-Romagnolo, Lombard, Occitan, Gascon, Piedmontese, Aromanian, Sardinian, Sicilian, Venetian, Galician, Asturian, Neapolitan and Friulian.

So yeah, Italian is latin based as are most western european.

kush

I can translate Normisms. Means you don't need to waste your time. Just go learn Italian.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can translate Normisms. Means you don't need to waste your time. Just go learn Italian.

That's it, thanks. Ilya will be playing the role of June Cleaver when we make "MTBNJ Airplane".

For Utah:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko-desktop-software/analysis-software-for-training-files.aspx

I'm a fan of the Aerobic Decoupling concept. A very useful Friel article here:
http://www.peaksware.com/articles/cycling/aerobic-endurance-and-decoupling,-by-joe-friel.aspx

Those of you interested in the endurance game (and by endurance I don't mean cx races. I mean 3-8 hour races) and have a PM, this is required reading.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Actually, rethinking this, a lot of times Norm makes sense but I don't think I buy this one.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Absolutely not, nor am I suggesting that. You knew the answer to that before you asked the question though.

My point is, if Friel's work is as suggested, the building blocks of several other plans, does it make sense to ignore it and "just learn italian"? Maybe it is, I don't know, but it doesn't seem to make sense.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
So last week my wife, her sister, my boss, his wife, both of his kids and my coworker all came down with this stomach bug. Happens all the time and 99% of the time I never get sick, this must have been the 1%er. Left work at 5 and my stomach was feeling a bit funny. Got home and layed down on my bed for a bit....By the time 7pm came I was on a rapid weight loss program. I dont vomit often, last time was in 2005. When I do, its completely crippling. I get this chill in the back of my neck and often pass out. Anyway by 9pm I was certain I had the ebola thing from the movie "outbreak" although I hadnt see a monkey running around anywhere. My wife is always having stomach issues, vomits every time she drinks and works in an ER...so puking is very "ya, so what?" Anyway, told zoefran would help, but I would have to go to the ER and see a doc to get it. By this time I was dry heaving every 5min or so, and im not even going to mention what else was going outback. So she called her mother and thankfully, she had one zoefran left in her house. So she drove down to parsippany and brought it back. This worked really quickly. In about 10min, I settled down. Kinda slept a little bit last night. My back went out from dry heaving, so now I look like a broken hunchback.

Starting to feel a bit better. From 6pm to 5am I lost 6lbs. Its quite an amazing weight loss program. If anyone is interested ill be glad to come over and lick your untensils :)

Speaking of puppies.....when your puking and sleeping on the bathroom floor its the dog that will come in and keep you company.

Its been a while for me too but I get the same way as you. my brother cries when he throws up not like blood curdling baby crying but like girl watching a sad movie type crying. It's weird, and he's messy for some reason. One time my father said "Randy, did you puke in a bucket and throw it around in the bathroom?". Anyway Hope you feel better for the weekend

kush

Jesus, who the f cares. You have to start somewhere right? The only reason Norm can suggest not to start there is because he has analyzed different plans to death. I would put money on that Ben's advice is more credible in this situation because he has a much deeper resume than Norm and Kush combined, maybe more than double what those guys have. Also take into consideration who is using Ben as a coach and who passed. Grain of salt my friend, lots of f'ing grains.

Disclaimer: this is all coming from from a person who is talking about training when they don't actually train, which we all know is pretty lame, so we can just get that one out of the way. ;)

Yes, kind of lame. But why generate such drama? It's been a pretty healthy discussion ... till now.

Yes, just a year ago I thought a power meter was that thing outside of my house measuring electricity or whatnot. And somehow between my wife and I we acquired 3 Friel books. And each was kind of lame, and all were for the most part redundant. If someone needs one, let me know, free.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My point is this, and then we can move on. You can't really understand Friel, more specifically how his theories influence other training regiments unless you read Friel. My analogy with the languages is the same. Sure, you can learn Italian...but then all you know is Italian. Learn Latin and you can understand all the languages it influences.

Ok, I'm done now.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I downloaded that fitness pal app on the recommendation and its pretty cool. Not that I'm too worried about counting calories, but its a good way to keep a food diary and it breaks down all your nutrients and summarizes it nicely.
Plus its fun to see if it has what you eat in its database... like the mike and ikes I just ate... (only 70 calories!! woot woot!)

But the best part is that its free....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lydiard was the foundation of it all, long before Friel:
http://www.freewebs.com/velodynamics2/modelplan.pdf

Where are the awesome resumes I'm going up against?

The point missed in that diatribe is that by choosing Ben as a coach people are doing exactly what I suggest, namely skipping the Friel book and going in a direction that's more practical and user friendly.

kush

If you learn Latin Jake, all you'll know is Latin. You won't even be able to order a callgirl in Milan. Ergo, if you learn Italian, you will get laid faster.

Top Bottom