Shifters-Zee, SLX, XT?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Swapping some mangled drivetrain stuff and deciding on which new 10 speed Shimano shifter. Zee or SLX can be had for around $25, but is it worth twice the price for XT or Saint? Using a clutch SLX derailleur and probably the ubiquitous 11-36 XT cassette.

Option B is sneaking into @fidodie garage and repo'ing the 9 speed XO off my old Muk. Man that shifts nice.

Thanks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Make offer!
I need a 10 sp shifter, cage for an x9, and 10 sp cassette and I'd be good to go. Oh, and a chain.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had SLX, Zee, and XT, all of which are still on bikes and working. Can't say I can tell a significant difference between any of them. The Zee lever is nice though with a long lever and larger thumb press area, but I think the XT is the crispest. The derailleur is only as good as the shifter, so a better one is usually not a bad way to go.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've had SLX, Zee, and XT, all of which are still on bikes and working. Can't say I can tell a significant difference between any of them. The Zee lever is nice though with a long lever and larger thumb press area, but I think the XT is the crispest. The derailleur is only as good as the shifter, so a better one is usually not a bad way to go.

Sounds like Zee if I cheap out. I like the fact it doesn't have the worthless indicator also.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
Saint in my favorite, its the beefed up XTR with 4 ball bearings, 2 per side , has no indicator, longer lever and is really smooth. Followed by XT, 2 bearings (1 per side), still smooth, and a removable indicator. Both Saint and XT can drop 2 gears at a time to smaller cogs, Zee and SLX (and below) cannot. Lastly, Zee and SLX use the same or very similar internals with SLX having a removable indicator and Zee a slightly longer lever. I have all of the above in some fashion and most likely have spares.

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I see now some of the indicators are removable. Cool. Thanks for the advice I might go Saint since price is the same as xt.

If anyone has something sitting in a parts bin I'd be game.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I have spares of Saint, XT and SLX. Both new in box/OEM take-offs or slightly used but in perfect shape. They don't fit in a small flat rate so I'm thinking pickup in Clark would be best. If interested PM me.

goodvibe

Yo @extremedave!!! I have XT shifters on all of my bikes, but when I was going to get rid of my Beargrease, I bought a SLX to temporarily use. It is definitely not as snappy or crisp as the XT. Also, the thumb lever is metal rather than plastic. I would definitely go with the XT>

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yo @extremedave!!! I have XT shifters on all of my bikes, but when I was going to get rid of my Beargrease, I bought a SLX to temporarily use. It is definitely not as snappy or crisp as the XT. Also, the thumb lever is metal rather than plastic. I would definitely go with the XT>

Sounding like I shouldn't cheap out here. Message received!

Top Bottom