Septic Snafu

Karate Monkey

Hokay, so. The septic drain from the house is clogged. Guys look under the crawlspace, see that there isn't a port on the pipe to clean it. I don't think this is really a problem, since one can be installed in the line? They want to go in from the other end on the outside, but don't know where to look for the line.

They also said they can't fit their snake though the crawlspace hole (pic attached).

IMG_20180828_191643.jpg

Located in Monmouth County.

Thoughts?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
cutting a line open to add a cleanout while it is clogged is kinda nasty....

so the line to the septic is in there somewhere? wow.

they are going to use a powered gizmo that can't have too much distance between the start of the pipe and the machine, otherwise it will just spin the wire,
so they probably should go from the tank side.

when was the septic last pumped? or is it city? if it is city, there has to be a clean-out every 20 feet outside (i think)

hard to believe there isn't an accessible clean-out. even so, removing the cap...ewww. any chance the clean-out is buried in a closet?

can you get a pic of the pipe in the crawlspace?

can you now bend over that far? (which would be good)

ekuhn

Hokay, so. The septic drain from the house is clogged. Guys look under the crawlspace, see that there isn't a port on the pipe to clean it. I don't think this is really a problem, since one can be installed in the line? They want to go in from the other end on the outside, but don't know where to look for the line.

They also said they can't fit their snake though the crawlspace hole (pic attached).

View attachment 76078

Located in Monmouth County.

Thoughts?

Pull toilet in closest bathroom to septic tank and snake. Have guy with locator find tank. Get tank pumped clean and Install clean outs on tank inlet/outlet. A Norton is who I've used.

http://www.anortonsepticandwaste.com/contactus

Or switch to high fiber diet and give up corn.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dude what ever you do think twice and watch some videos before you let them use the hydro jet clean out.
Just saying... Ekuhn has a good idea...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Karate Monkey im assuming that you have a traditional septic system? Meaning septic system in your yard, not city sewer?

Im assuming yes. In which case...typically....You have a sewer line leaving the house that runs to the septic tank, these are typically gravity and typically a 4" line. Im wondering why they dont just locate the septic tank? They are usually pretty easy to find with a magnetic locator. Open lid and check the inlet/baffle.

Karate Monkey

@Karate Monkey im assuming that you have a traditional septic system? Meaning septic system in your yard, not city sewer?

Im assuming yes. In which case...typically....You have a sewer line leaving the house that runs to the septic tank, these are typically gravity and typically a 4" line. Im wondering why they dont just locate the septic tank? They are usually pretty easy to find with a magnetic locator. Open lid and check the inlet/baffle.

Second guy seemed like he just wanted to fix the pipe with a clean-out. No mention of unblocking/draining/anything else. Completely uninterested in discussing the problem...so, we're going with a different firm like @ekuhn mentioned.

My back currently does not allow for me to screw around with weird-shaped heavy stuff like toilets/crawl around in a mess of a crawlspace.

Top Bottom