See you in July!

xc62701

Unfortunately 3 weeks ago I was skiing with my ski team - I'm the high school coach - and fell on some ice and tweaked my knee. Went to the Doc's and had a nice bunch of blood drained and found out that I have a fully ruptured ACL and a good deal of bone bruising. The date isn't finalized yet but surgery will be in 2 weeks and then the fun begins. Doc says that I will be back on the bike in 2 months - I can start running at 3 months - training on the bike at 4 months - then racing at 6 months. I can't really say that I'm happy about any of this but it is what it is. There goes my early season goals. I know the math too - July is 5 months away. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery!

What should be my new hobby while I'm recovering? I'll be focusing on rehab and all but what's the best activity to keep my mind at ease? Knitting? Trolling on other web sites? Painting? Making a selfie scrapbook?

I'm going to do everything I can physically while I can but trying to stay positive and really focus on the rehab to return better than 100%.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
good luck with the procedure, and recovery.

build a new bike? post lots of polls on colors, which bling, etc....which july ???? :D

oh, and build up some huge guns.

Zaskar

Bummer. Where were you skiing and what team do you coach?

How about starting a coffee cup collection?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Needle point you can get so good you don't even have to look.

Seriously though speedy heal up!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Bummer. I'd think about swimming. You don't have to kick at first and then layer it in as the joint becomes more stable. At least this way you keep some of the cardio. Good luck.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That sucks, hopefully you have a speedy recovery. How about one of those rowing machines, and just doing it with one leg? And lots of pullups/pushups/core stuff.

xc62701

Rowing could be good but definitely will be focusing on upper body and core in the meantime.

rick81721

Lothar
oh, and build up some huge guns.

This - two birds with one stone

hqdefault.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
That really sucks! Heal up soon!

I agree with @Juggernaut - swimming is a great option. Great cardio conditioning, minimal impact. Definitely something to consider for fitness goals.

As far as other hobbies are concerned -- not sure which way your interests lean, but if I were in your shoes, I'd consider taking some art or photography classes just for fun.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man that sucks Ryan, sorry to hear. when i broke my leg I took up eating and drinking alcohol, I dont recommend these...although it did eventually lead me to biking. This is a good time to teach Lea to go fetch you stuff.

Can you kayak? I mean when the ice melts and shit.

gtluke

The Moped
Is D&D not a thing anymore? Yea it blows but I'm already scheming up ways to work out and keep the cardio up. Are there any local hand cycle races?
It's becoming more popular again, I just sold a campaign set 2 weeks ago ;)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Take what the doc recommends, cut it in half and you will be ready for the end of the season and cross. You won't pay the price until you are 80. YOLO.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ryan do you lace your own wheels?

If not sounds like a good time to start learning.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow that blows...good luck with a safe and speedy recovery. Try to win the interwebz with all that extra time:)

Top Bottom