Sedona

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What @Santapez said-
Sedona is the droid you are looking for.
Plenty of resort places to stay (look for places in the canyons) and all local bike shops are in riding proximity to trails, so you don’t have to rent an SUV or a bike rack.
Absolute Bikes and Bike & Bean down the road in Oak Creek have the closest access to great trails, but you can also easily get to trails from Over The Edge in Sedona proper.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I just got back from an Arizona/Utah trip. Sedona is expensive (and crowded when I was there), so we stayed at an Airbnb in Cornville 20 minutes outside of Sedona (which was great). But we also had our dog so we were more limited in our lodging options. I believe the riding in flagstaff is also supposed to be good but it’s snowed in for the winter.

I also rode Moab a few days before, and while I liked Sedona, I can’t wait to go back to Moab. I just found the town more chill. And preferred the riding there.

Don’t discount the st George area, it’s accessible from Las Vegas, so potential deals on flights. I didn’t get to ride there but heard good things and it’s close to Zion for a bonus.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, Sedona isn't a great fun town unless you like shopping for stupid trinkets. I'd suggest getting an AirBnB or something that has a kitchen and preferably grill to sit outside eating while looking at that amazing scenery.

Maybe it's just me, but I found Phoenix/Tuscon to be a little lackluster. Phoenix seems to be missing culture. I'm wondering if @pixychick can throw out some cool stuff to do down there besides biking and gawking at the scenery.

I also highly suggest eating In-And-Out burger twice a day. Because you can.

THATmanMANNY

Sedona seems like a good balance to quiet but not too quiet.

I'll look Abnb but wife and two kids. Initial reaction aint' cooking squat...

This is more of a getaway.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just go to the dive mexican place called Tortas De Fuego for each meal.

You'll thank me later.

Gnick

I loved Sedona - I don’t know if I would call it good value or anything, but there were hundreds of miles of trials right off my resort patio. It was incredible.

THATmanMANNY

What resort?

Trails are pretty easy navigate? I’m old school and like paper maps. I’m not looking for epics but good loops for a few hours.

I’m thinking May. Avg monthly temps is mid 80s and low 50s. When did you all go? June is 90/60.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What resort?

Trails are pretty easy navigate? I’m old school and like paper maps. I’m not looking for epics but good loops for a few hours.

I’m thinking May. Avg monthly temps is mid 80s and low 50s. When did you all go? June is 90/60.

I've been to Sedona in February couple years ago and in May last year. Feb we could ride for 5-6 hours no problem temperature wise, never overheated..., last year was the early May trip and it was mid-upper 90's everyday...that being said, it was exceptionally hot for the week last year (105+ in Phoenix the same week). We stayed right near Over The Edge, and ridable access to most trails from there. Buy a map for $15 from OTE or one of the stores, they are totally worth it. They even drew trails that had been put in since the last printing for me...and the trails were awesome.

I don't like the 3 H trails (Hogs, etc) but everything else was pretty accessible for intermediate riders...Chuckwagon, Mezcal, Javelina, western Civ, Skywalker, Herkenham, ....man, so many good trails. Can't go wrong with this place.

Try Sedonuts as well...if you like donuts.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yeah, Sedona isn't a great fun town unless you like shopping for stupid trinkets. I'd suggest getting an AirBnB or something that has a kitchen and preferably grill to sit outside eating while looking at that amazing scenery.

Maybe it's just me, but I found Phoenix/Tuscon to be a little lackluster. Phoenix seems to be missing culture. I'm wondering if @pixychick can throw out some cool stuff to do down there besides biking and gawking at the scenery.

I also highly suggest eating In-And-Out burger twice a day. Because you can.

I actually have not been to Sedona, but it is on my list. I was to Black Canyon Tr once and it is nice from a trail building standard but not worth moving from NJ to ride. I actually have not ridden anything impressive near Phoenix. Moab was awesome.

Tucson MTB trails are currently growing.... Most of what is best, has been built in the last 2 years. Starr pass was crap a few years ago and is pretty good today because of additional trails that connect the place together. There is tech (5o yr and milagrosa) and buffed out trails (honeybee) , something for everyone in town. IMO, the draw is the winter weather and big mountains.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trails in Sedona are great & vast but it took me a while days to figure out why it didn't feel as "epic" as I thought it was going to be. When you see pictures of it and stuff you feel like you would get the feeling that you are in the middle of nowhere, but no you don't really get that feeling between seeing houses along the trails & in the distance, the many trail users, hearing cars, road crossings, etc.. I would still recommend it for the great trails + views. The parks rangers there do trail maintenance (you don't see that in NJ) and they seemingly keep mountain biking in mind since it is a big part of the economy.

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually have not been to Sedona, but it is on my list. I was to Black Canyon Tr once and it is nice from a trail building standard but not worth moving from NJ to ride. I actually have not ridden anything impressive near Phoenix. Moab was awesome.

Tucson MTB trails are currently growing.... Most of what is best, has been built in the last 2 years. Starr pass was crap a few years ago and is pretty good today because of additional trails that connect the place together. There is tech (5o yr and milagrosa) and buffed out trails (honeybee) , something for everyone in town. IMO, the draw is the winter weather and big mountains.

Yeah I meant Tucson. I road Star Pass two years ago and (I don't want to sound negative) didn't think it was that great. It's nice scenery but very boring as if they were designed for casual/beginner riders. I wouldn't pass up riding there while in town, but just not destination worthy.

I forgot about 50YO, been a decade since I road that.

I should also mention to anyone WATCH OUT FOR THE CACTUS. My god, my first time to AZ I tapped a Cholla with my hand and I had to go buy pliers to pull the needles out. I had to use all my strength to pull them out. Absolutely horrible.

THATmanMANNY

@Gnick what resort did you stay at?

any other hotel recommendations?

There was a guy here that I bought something from and he moved from NJ to AZ I can't remember if he moved to Sedona but if I could get linked up with a local that would be nooooice.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There was a guy here that I bought something from and he moved from NJ to AZ I can't remember if he moved to Sedona but if I could get linked up with a local that would be nooooice.

did he look like this

20181202-150855.jpg

Berms&Boofs

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best location to get an Airbnb for the Sedona network? Is it best to stay in Sedona, West Sedona or Oak Creek? Thanks.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What he^ said.
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best location to get an Airbnb for the Sedona network? Is it best to stay in Sedona, West Sedona or Oak Creek? Thanks.

Personally, my favorite trails are out west, but sheer volume and access might be better in Oak Creek.
Let’s see how others chime in.

Nice thing is, there is no wrong answer.

jredone

I’ll be out there end of February beginning of March if anyone wants to link up for a few rides and beers. I’ll be Van Life bummin it so more than welcome to set up camp with me wherever I wind up if that’s something you’re into.

Top Bottom