Sedona 2017 Recap- <Now with 20% more Pictures!>

gtluke

The Moped
Day 8?
Man I can't remember the order of operations here, thank god for google location history.
So on Day 7 joy and steve actually dropped us off at the airport, to go home? nope, to get a rental car.
We departed them and headed out to goodyear where my buddy Craig lives. I believe @David Taylor and Smokey both know him. We partied with them for a bit, ate some awesome mexican food with craig and his wife and slept in an actual bed for the first time since we got to Arizona.
Woke up ( this is actually day 8 now) and got some awesome mexican breakfast burritos with Craig.

Then we headed out to Craig's work to troubleshoot some old ford. It was eating at his soul and I know a bunch about small block fords so we offered to go over there. There was a fitmet issue between a new distributor and the existing oil pump driveshaft on a 60's couger. Helped craig shuttle a car back to his house too.

We left there and went to the local BMX track for race day. Was pretty cool to see all the races going. Hung out there for a while and got to catch up with craig and plan the insanity of trying to get my old internet friends to all meet up.

When I logged on to IRC for the first time in 1997 from college, there were about a dozen people in #thecorral including @EVLGT85, this chick Skye from IL, @BLSMBL a kid Nick from Detroit, @TRUMPS from Sacramento.
Skye and Trumps had since moved to Phoenix, and Nick was in town doing testing for Ford trucks. We met up in Phoenix at a coffee spot, but Nick couldn't join in, he was stuck at work. We hung out all night, it was great. I still regularly talk to these folks. Skye is a fiery redhead who had grabbed me by the ankle and straightened my dumb ass out when I was a moron in my 20's. I would have been a 100% different person today entirely for the worst if I had never met her. I've hung out with Skye in Kentucky, upstate NY, and Phoenix a few times before. Jason (Trumps) is one of the 1% of intelligence plus social skills, really cool guy. He's worse than me with cars. He has two 500hp audis, a mustag cobra, an old jeep wrangler, and some piece of shit lease jetta like carson. I've hung out with Jason in San Diego, Kentucky, and Phoenix before. All he does is explode things and fix them. And runs IT at a helicopter company. Nick works for ford trucks, he used to work for Roushe doing testing. He's the one that could have gotten @Carson 's mustang built properly. I've hung out with him in Kentucky, New York City, New Jersey, and now Phoenix. Nick has motorcycles dirt bikes, shitty cars, tube amp with a turntable that plays punk music, and a passion for driving junk. He's real similar to me.
Had a great night and didn't take a single god damn picture.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man love, huh? You guys watch Gladiator movies together?

How's he feel about the Raptor having an EcoBoost?

gtluke

The Moped
Man love, huh? You guys watch Gladiator movies together?

How's he feel about the Raptor having an EcoBoost?

Didn't ask that one, but that would have certainly been his project at his previous place. They were doing a lot of the oddball stuff like the GT40 and the voodoo engine.
He did mention that he didn't think the v8 would be a normal option in anything pretty soon. maybe special edition mustangs and stuff.

gtluke

The Moped
Day 9
Leave the hangout party with the friends from IRC and drive all the the F to Tucson to meet up with the Mirsky's, fall asleep behind the wheel a few times but make it there.
Wake up and head out to the Airplane Museum. Place is so F'ing big. 3rd largest in the world? It's massive. they have one of every plane. Well they have like 20 B52's if you count the ones across the street too.
They even have a dreamliner
i-XRSH8R6-X2.jpg

i-PDVctGJ-X2.jpg

B17
i-6w3NHDt-X2.jpg

And mouthbreathers, my favorite era of airplanes
i-jgmLQK8-X2.jpg

I didn't take many pictures because well, they wouldn't be unique and you can just google it all for better quality stuff.

We were basically there the entire day. came back to the hotel for just enough time to jump in the pool
i-PrdZdP9-XL.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
Day 10
Wake up to this:
OH SHUCKS
i-Ln4fWNx-XL.jpg

. Then we drove to the Titan missile museum and checked out some super awesome cold war stuff.
GEMINI
i-wsb5wMr-XL.jpg

Loved the IRS jeep
i-6HMfZxm-X2.jpg

Grabbed some In-in-Out burger for the 90th time and then found a cheap motel with the Mirsky's in Northern Tucson
Oh and this was the day that my wife's phone died. Hardware failure of the Nexus5x. Ran to best buy and got a burner phone and popped her sim card in it.

gtluke

The Moped
Day 11,
Get up and depart the Mirskies.
I still have my bike and want to use it while I'm out there, and I have a driver, so SHUTTLE RUN
Or so I thought.
20 miles of downhilling right? That's what the god damn elevation profile looked like.
Drive to the top of Mt Lemmon
https://www.strava.com/activities/900503806

It was fun, and an adventure. But about 15 minutes in I fell pretty hard and my hand was hurting a bit, making me a bit nervous for a while.
Trail was pretty cool and tame at the top
i-RsSDcgJ-X2.jpg

I fell off the benchcut when I fell
i-6CsqD97-X2.jpg

SNOW!
i-VZW6nVC-X2.jpg

doodie rocks and some views

i-ZKZFtmL-X2.jpg

Trail is getting different
i-VdcVvm3-X2.jpg

i-7xQQzGP-X2.jpg

i-JLTBjBL-X2.jpg

Started getting REALLY fast and fun
i-TTVWwkC-X2.jpg

At this point I stopped taking pictures and went into survival mode. I was trying to push the bike too fast, kept flatting and was running out of time. I was supposed to be at the car by 2 so we could make the airplane museum tour we bought tickets for. My wife refused to leave on time to get in line for tickets, so we missed the early tour tickets by 10 minutes. got the last tour tickets for 3:30
At this point my rear tire was completely shot, I was completely heat beat, I had been in the sun for like 4 hours without any shade and it was getting to me.
I ended up riding about 5 miles on less than 5psi of tire pressure, but i did manage to get out. I should have put the tube in miles ago, but I kept thinking it would hold, and that I was at the end.
I ended up blowing my meeting time by 20 minutes and we'd never get to the tour on time so we blew that off.
What did work out was that my friend Nick from IRC that couldn't make the previous dinner now had some time. So we drove up to Phoenix and met up with him. We got some mexican food and chit chatted for hours. He's such a cool dude. Wish he lived closer.
Here's my tire
i-cqKFHh9-XL.jpg

Here's the hold on the other side that was really causing the problem
i-TjXDSfw-XL.jpg

Amazing, the sealant was actually sealing on the outside of the tire.
I gotta give it to stans, I can't believe I made it through the whole week. That's a Hans Dampf tire, pacestar. And riding out west it's not nearly enough. You need something with a much more substantial carcass if you want to really rip. At least on the back, I never had any problems on the front.
You can see the knobbies even ripping off.

After departing Nick, we drove up to Prescott that night.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hope you left the tire there and didn't pack it home.. More room for popcorn..

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why do they paint the cockpit glass @UtahJoe.
bc Arizona sun/heat inside of a VERY airtight and insolated airplane cockpit...it would probably hit 150+ degrees in there. Not that any of the planes in this pic are going to be put back in service, but everything inside would be really beaten up by the sun/heat...Glue melts, leather/vinyl cracks, plastic falls apart, etc

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
woke up in prescott and headed out to the trails. totally different vibe here, there are ocassionaly clouds in the sky, trees, dirt. It's very very nice.
Trails for everyone.
i-tdnd49h-X2.jpg

i-w2NLZZc-X2.jpg

The downtown was beautiful. It actually looked exactly like Morristown. Had a green you drive around with statues and fountains in it, old victorian homes, zero chain stores.
And grass, I haven't seen grass in 2 weeks.

i-VDNDQ8P-X2.jpg

The trails in Prescott were absolutely awesome. I ran into a young girl that knows @muddybike Kristine while riding too. Plus the hotels were cheap in comparison to the Sedona and Phoenix area. I really liked it there.
Grabbed some lunch in town and then headed back to the hotel area to use their parking lot and bathroom to pack up my bike. I was going to jump in the pool but some actual clouds came in and it was almost chilly out. A real nice break from the scorching sun for 2 weeks.

Bike packed. Took about 1/2 hour taking my time.
i-gJv5q7C-XL.jpg

Then we drove to Phoenix and got the last round of In-N-Out
i-Jwqm5Fh-XL.jpg

Got on the plane, catch an Uber home to my driveway of death. Thankfully my neighbor blowed some access down to my house so I could get to my tractor.
i-q4QQKrS-XL.jpg

Finished cleaning up my driveway and headed to work.
Then headed down to Bridgewater to retrieve dog-butt
she actually slept for like 2 days when she got back. She had been living in a house with 3-5 kids aged 3-10ys old. They all loved Tuna to death and played with her until TUNA got tired and went and hid behind the couch.
I'm very grateful that she got a lot of attention while we were gone.
i-c97zMts-XL.jpg

Oh yeah when I unpacked my bike box I FOUND SOME CHEDDAAHHH
i-6XLvv8b-XL.jpg

Top Bottom