Seat Tube Chain Guides...any recommendations?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Need a chain guide for my ghetto fabulous cannondale project. The frame is not ISCG so I guess seat tube mount is the way to go? Any one else used any of these and have recommendations? Looking at something like the below, but unsure about how adjustable the spacing is....

1520867222434.png

w_b

I shitcanned my shitty chainguide when I switched to a narrow- wide chainring and never looked back. No issues; chain never drops; money well spent

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I shitcanned my shitty chainguide when I switched to a narrow- wide chainring and never looked back. No issues; chain never drops; money well spent
It's a temporary solution to a larger problem. I do have narrow wide chainring up front, but without clutch derailleur I'm getting a lot of chain slap which leads to drops. My other issue is chain line..... I dumped the front group set and mounted a single ring on the existing BB (crappy shimano octalink thats not compatible with anything) so now there's a gap between the crank and the frame. In the perfect world I would replace the BB, crankset, and rear derailleur and be fine...but for now I need a quick fix.

Reactions: w_b

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
but for now I need a quick fix.
Whats the cost difference between a new clutch RD and this chain guide? $20?

Another vote of narrow wide and a clutch RD and no drops. Unless this is for a super downhill rig, you should be a-okay with the narrow wide and a clutch RD.

mstyer

This one from Problem Solvers (Chain Spy) should fit your needs and be less expensive than the MRP pictured. Most LBS's should be able to order it for you through QBP.

1520880111071.png

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whats the cost difference between a new clutch RD and this chain guide? $20?

Another vote of narrow wide and a clutch RD and no drops. Unless this is for a super downhill rig, you should be a-okay with the narrow wide and a clutch RD.
The end goal was to dump all of the shimano components for SRAM, but that means I need to do brakes at the same time unless I want to deal with mount adapters for the shifter, which is why I was just looking for a temporary fix. You're right though, just saw shimano XT with clutch on amazon for $50.... Probably going to give that a try.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also, there should kind of a small lip on the Octalink BB on the drive side where you can fit a retention device between the BB and frame. It's not awesome, but I've done it before with a Octalink BB and a BB mounted MRP 1x. I rode it for at least a year before it exploded:

620767_422734441122497_687983225_o.jpg

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

qclabrat

I completely agree with the comments on going with the NW/clutch combo and call it a day. Not sure if you tried a chain guide, but for XC riding it really sucks, when you back pedal or ratchet. I'm only keeping my setup since I may need it for Creek this summer.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You said you already have some type of narrow wide ring-which means it has to be a standard spider right? Some pics of the setup might help. Do you have the ring outside or inside the spider? If outside maybe it's just a chain line issue. Or the chain might be too long.
What's on the rear?
Speeds, model, details!!!!

Top Bottom