Seat Recommendations

Fourth_Letter

OK. Got my first bike and I love it! One problem. It's a men's bike and the seat hurts my girl parts. :eek: Any suggestions? What seats do you ladies use?

skyrokz

not a girl, hehe so my parts are even more in the way, padded shorts are number one. Second wait a few rides to get a new seat, the first few times you will be in pain as so was i, but along with a pair of padded shorts and letting your ass get used to the ride you should be fine, after a few rides if you are still uncomfortable then consider seats.

Robin

I never got around to changing my saddle to a "women's specific" - I did invest in some shorts with decent padding/chamois...it helps - and the more you ride, you'll get used to it.

Ask Halter's about some saddles next time you are in there - I'm also curious as to what other gals are riding with :D

syncroscat

Ask Halter's about some saddles next time you are in there - I'm also curious as to what other gals are riding with :D

I have the WTB Speed She Women's Saddle on both my SS and geared bikes. I would definately recommend this saddle. I may buy a couple more to have in the parts inventory and to put on other bikes. I've paid about $25-30 each. :)

allygadget

Have the same thing... the WTB speed she...Its my first saddle but I have never been uncomfortable in it with or without a chamois.

martin

not a girl here either - but i hear that "the harder you ride, the harder you want your saddle to be"

so my advice is dont' spend a ton of cash up front while you're still getting used to things and finding your lungs/legs...

my GF hasa big ol cushy gel saddle and after a few rides was tellin me that "this thing sucks" hehe

invest in shorts w/ padding as those will stay with you for a while...

Kmoodymz3

Saddles are very personal, what works for one may be agony for another. I highly recommend going to a shop that will let you "test drive" a saddle. put it on or bike and ride it for a long ride (whatever long means to you but I recommend at least 2 hours)

Competitive Cyclist offered a saddle demo program where you could get 13 saddles shipped to your home to test drive for a week and then if you purchased from them you would get a refund for your demo. I searched but it appears this program is no longer available. Bummer! You could try calling them to see if they'll offer a demo of some saddles.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Yes, good idea to try out and see what you like. Also a good shop may be able to help you figure out what will fit YOU. I use a Terry Fly or Terry Falcon Y which are both mens. The wider your sit bones, the wider your saddle may need to be. Plus there are different shapes and platforms. Gel or extra padding is not always better. If you have chaffing, try a natural chamois cream. My big two rules to remember: no undies, and get out of shorts right after ride.:)

martin

Saddles are very personal, what works for one may be agony for another. I highly recommend going to a shop that will let you "test drive" a saddle. put it on or bike and ride it for a long ride (whatever long means to you but I recommend at least 2 hours)

Competitive Cyclist offered a saddle demo program where you could get 13 saddles shipped to your home to test drive for a week and then if you purchased from them you would get a refund for your demo. I searched but it appears this program is no longer available. Bummer! You could try calling them to see if they'll offer a demo of some saddles.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes

they still have hte program, availability of the demo package just varies.... they have a few that are in constant circulation

my main thing, is that one week is not nearly enough time to try those saddles... and its 75$ for the program

like you said you need at least 2 hours in each seat, preferably more, over multiple days in different types of shorts (less padding, more, etc)

so when u get 6 days to test that many seats it means you better be riding A LOT lol

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Saddles are very personal, what works for one may be agony for another. I highly recommend going to a shop that will let you "test drive" a saddle.
KM, I could not agree more!

Yes, good idea to try out and see what you like. Also a good shop may be able to help you figure out what will fit YOU. I use a Terry Fly or Terry Falcon Y which are both mens. The wider your sit bones, the wider your saddle may need to be. Plus there are different shapes and platforms. Gel or extra padding is not always better. If you have chaffing, try a natural chamois cream. My big two rules to remember: no undies, and get out of shorts right after ride.:)

Pixy, I couldn't agree more! :D
My 2 cents ...
New saddles are always coming into the shop. I usually like to try them out. I have come a few conclusions: If a saddle is uncomfortable when you sit on it for the first time, I doubt it will feel better after a few rides. Get one that feels comfortable. Saddle tilt I think also can make or break the choice of a saddle. I start out level, and tilt the nose slightly downward to relieve any sensitive tissue pressure.

RC ... :popcorn:

rocknrollgirl

I ride a WTB Laser V. I am prone to issues:cry:, and this seat has never bothered me.

I do agree with the other women, the shorts are crucial. I have only found one brand, one style of short that does not bother me.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like everyone else said, you need to just try a few. Halters usually has a few to try out.

On my old bike I had a Terry Butterfly Ti, which is one of their women-specific saddles and I LOVED it, never a problem. I buy all their shorts, pants, etc since they seem to agree with me. On my bike now I have a women-specific WTB saddle (not sure which one). It gives me problems, but I picked it because it was blue.....the prices we pay for fashion.

ajcourain

Retired from burrito Shiffering
Hi ladies.. I'm in the process of building a new-to-me bike, which will be #4 to my current collection. I have different saddles on my current bikes, depending on the purpose (fitted specialized on my road bike, super comfy selle on my touring bike). As I've transitioned through 3 mtn bikes in the past couple years and now building a new one, I haven't quite honed in on a perfect saddle for mtn biking. I see and hear all of the above comments, but given it's been a few years (that I could find anyway) just wanted to re-surface the question..... any ladies out there have a go-to, preferred saddle for their mtn bike?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only seat I replaced was for my road bike and that was when I got fitted. Changed it to a specialized lithia saddle. I never changed my mountain bike seat. Maybe I need to ride more (OK. I definitely need to ride more) but I'm never sitting on the seat so long that it bothers me but I also have narrow hips/hip bones so that might make a difference?

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/saddles/womens-lithia-comp-gel/105489

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I love my WTB Pure. Never given me any issues -- I don't even think it's women specific. Play around with the tilt. But as was mentioned before what works for one person might maim another! Work with a LBS which might let you demo some.

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you are trying to find a saddle that works for you, just buy a duplicate of one you already have. In my experience, the saddle either works for you, or it doesnt, regardless of what kind of bike you're riding.

My saddle of choice is a Fizik Vesta. Vesta, coincidentally, is also @Delish's grandma's name.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Knowing your shape and size can help narrow your search. I have found a few saddles that work for me and they are all similar in width and shape. My favorites are SDG Allure and Terry Falcon Y. One is women's and the other men's, but both the same width, and shape and have a cut out.

A good way to start is to find your sit bone width. I found out my width by buying a dozen saddles that did not work, but since then, I have learned of a reliable test you can do yourself at home. See video:

Once you find your width, your choices will be narrowed down a bit and you can test a few shapes. Like Dominos said, if you find something, stick with it. I used to do that, but since have found a few that work.

As far as shape preference, that varies as well. I found that a flat platform hurt the back of my gluteus, so I went rounded and have been very comfortable since. I also know many ladies that like a flatter top on their saddles, so do not go by my choice. Try some out. If the girly parts hurt, you may prefer a cut out in the center, but that is also very personal.

I am always happy to let any ladies sit on my bike and try out a saddle.

ajcourain

Retired from burrito Shiffering
All super helpful thoughts, thanks!! I did the sit bone width measurement thing a few years ago in order to size up the best Specialized saddle option for my road bike - that changed my world. It wouldn't hurt to do it again though! Since my road saddle still feels awesome, I did consider just buying that one again for my mtn bike. I'm probably over-thinking it, but I was just considering that I am on/off my mtn bike SO much more, so who knows if that same saddle would end up being an issue during those motions that I'm not doing on my road bike. And not just on/off meaning up and down and just not sitting on it, but more like a cyclocross on/off... those dang logs.... if I get a terrible saddle, would it help make me a better rider?! ;) Anyway... excited to look more into all this helpful info!!!

Top Bottom