scared me pretty good

jpn

I was riding up a pretty steep hill last week - Crigger Road up in Beemerville (Sussex county by Space Farms). I am in the steepest section, head down pumping away and out of the corner of my eye I see something low flying down the hill right at me. This is a side road that dead ends so it wasn't a car. Swerves at the last second back into his lane and flies by me. It was a kid (teenager/young adult) on a skateboard flying down the hill. No brakes on that thing. How he stopped and didn't kill himself is beyond me. I got up to the top and saw him on the way down. Some other guy was filming him.

More stones than I will ever have.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Long boarding. Kids craze right now. Got my son a Santa Cruz long board and he and his friends been rocking my hill though not the safest. It's all about the speed.

qclabrat

I've been trying to make it down my road on the Sector9 and have bailed every time for various reasons. Usually it's speed and have no clue how fast, most likely slower than I think. Bringing a garmin with me next time.

You really don't have a brake, you can drag a glove to slow a tad bit but they work more like ski poles to initiated turns. Only way to stop is a power slide which is tough to do at high speeds or my favorite which is to jump off on to a grassy area.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Some amazing long boarders throughout this video....they use what we used to call the "powerslide" to check their speed as they charge downhill.

I come from a ramp background (1/2 pipe, 1/4 pipe), and would occasionally give DH a go, but never got comfortable with controlling high speed by sliding so stuck with ramps.

rick81721

Lothar
I've seen kids boarding down hills in the sourlands. And every fall I see a guy who skate skis down and up those hills - pretty impressive

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
The art of stopping / scrubbing speed is called a power slide. Basically that kid hockey stopped on a skateboard (or just ran into the woods and broke everything)

The Kalmyk

It's not Northern California. A look out and walkie talkies would be a good move. Looks like fun though.

Last edited:

qclabrat

Watch 2:15 and my nephew just misses sliding under a moving car , Its crazy . his mom was pissed !

Shit 2:15 is crazy, faded to black so glad to know no one was hurt but sure the driver had a heart attack

The wheel compound is key to doing slides like that. My current ones are a bit too soft to effectively slide vs stop . Time to get some new wheels, I've forgotten how much fun this can be. That no helmet thing is all wrong though, breaking out my cheapo downhill helmet for this

EJphotos

I was really into longboards when I was younger. It was really fun, I always liked going down hills and catching good speed. Usually went with my friend, and.one of us would stay at the bottom of the hill as a lookout for cars while the other one rode. I wasn't that great at powersliding, but the roads we rode usually had outlet roads that we turned onto and eventually slowed down. Either that or I hopped off the board into the grass lol.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried this on my Lance Mountain from the 80s, had a speed wobble and almost killed myself.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried this on my Lance Mountain from the 80s, had a speed wobble and almost killed myself.
long boards don't have that wobble, soundz like you need to give it another go. got a board for you to try. First you need to slap the gopro on so we can watch this tragedy

Top Bottom