SC Reserve rims

qclabrat

There was a lot of early buzz over these rims, with added entertainment watching DM trying to destroy his wheelset.
However not so much lately, has anyone bought or rode a set with feedback? 37mm internal versions are coming out any day now.
Their lifetime warranty seems like a no brainer compared to any other makes out there.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I’ve sold a bunch. They aren’t the very lightest, but they are solid and the Warranty is legit.

One of my guys cracked a rear and they sent him a new one super quickly.

Not really any downside here.

The plus versions are shipping now.

The big news imo that that they will start offering them on the C bikes in 2019.. Er July.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
From what I've heard their warranty kicks ass, I don't really get the point of carbon rims that aren't lighter than a good set of aluminum rims.

Comfort. Everyone I've spoken to with a real set of carbon wheels says they take out the chatter and are yet stiffer side to side. Chatter being the biggest thing, but I've heard people rave how they notice how much better their bikes turn in.

Doesn't seem to be the case with the China carbon rims. Those tend to be super stiff in all directions...

It's enough that I'm probably going carbon at least on the rear of my hardtail...

RSAmerica

Look at Ibis & Reynolds I have both. My Reynolds 40mm plus have over 5000 mile never broke a spoke or went out of true. The Ibis 735 (29mm) I build with King hubs for my hardtail so far very nice and light (rims came in at 370 & 378 grams). I like them so much I am having Dave Thomas build me a set of Ibis 742 35mm with Kings to run 2.6 on my Mojo3 (rims came in a 412 & 420 grams). I have be hearing that the Santa Cruz Reserves are breaking and are heavy.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Look at Ibis & Reynolds I have both. My Reynolds 40mm plus have over 5000 mile never broke a spoke or went out of true. The Ibis 735 (29mm) I build with King hubs for my hardtail so far very nice and light (rims came in at 370 & 378 grams). I like them so much I am having Dave Thomas build me a set of Ibis 742 35mm with Kings to run 2.6 on my Mojo3 (rims came in a 412 & 420 grams). I have be hearing that the Santa Cruz Reserves are breaking and are heavy.

But lifetime warranty!

I find it interesting that the Santa Cruz Reserve wheels are getting so much buzz. Is it the videos of Danny riding without a tire? Many other (legitimate) companies make carbon rims/wheels. Not saying the Santa Cruz wheels are good/bad as I have no personal experience with them. But yeah, nobody mentions the Ibis/I9/Enve carbon hoops as much. It's almost like Santa Cruz just came out with something never done before.

qclabrat

Enve redid their line up this year, some great deals to be found if you don't need plus rims.
@RSAmerica, have the older 741s mounted on Hopes and they are great, I'm just not crazy about B plus so they get limited use.

qclabrat

But lifetime warranty!

I find it interesting that the Santa Cruz Reserve wheels are getting so much buzz. Is it the videos of Danny riding without a tire? Many other (legitimate) companies make carbon rims/wheels. Not saying the Santa Cruz wheels are good/bad as I have no personal experience with them. But yeah, nobody mentions the Ibis/I9/Enve carbon hoops as much. It's almost like Santa Cruz just came out with something never done before.
marketing engine, they have the splash with Danny
SC bikes were somewhat rare a few years back, now it's just about the most popular out there

RSAmerica

More now have a lifetime warranty.

I had a Set of Stan Valor (21mm), that I put ~1,500 miles on, super light 1250gram for the set. Ride quality was not as good as the others. Broke spokes and shit hubs. (Sold). Also with the low spoke count if you break a spoke you’er screwed as the rim goes out of true really bad so you ride is done! Also tried NOX very bad ride quality.

Also a great lifetime warranty will not include a jeep ride 20-30 miles out of the woods!

Last edited:

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Comfort. Everyone I've spoken to with a real set of carbon wheels says they take out the chatter and are yet stiffer side to side. Chatter being the biggest thing, but I've heard people rave how they notice how much better their bikes turn in.

Doesn't seem to be the case with the China carbon rims. Those tend to be super stiff in all directions...

It's enough that I'm probably going carbon at least on the rear of my hardtail...

That’s what everyone says, and I don’t buy it. If you have too much chatter, your suspension isn’t setup correctly or your probably running to much air in your tires. Speaking of which, everyone runs the lowest pressure you can get away with, so how do you feel the lateral stiffness through your balloon tires?

I demoed a couple of high-dollar bikes at the last Jorba-fest, and unless you told me the wheels were carbon, I would have never known. If someone starts making these things at a minimum 100g lighter than aluminum in the same width and as strong, for a price that isn’t outrageous, then it’s worth a look.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That’s what everyone says, and I don’t buy it. If you have too much chatter, your suspension isn’t setup correctly or your probably running to much air in your tires. Speaking of which, everyone runs the lowest pressure you can get away with, so how do you feel the lateral stiffness through your balloon tires?

I demoed a couple of high-dollar bikes at the last Jorba-fest, and unless you told me the wheels were carbon, I would have never known. If someone starts making these things at a minimum 100g lighter than aluminum in the same width and as strong, for a price that isn’t outrageous, then it’s worth a look.

I'm interested in them on my hardtail, in the rear. It seems there's a mythical place that I can't find between too low of tire pressure where it's comfortable and too squirmy, or too solid where I have good grip, good trail feel, but overly harsh.

Otherwise, it's not even double, it's triple the cost and not really a weight savings. If you notice, most of the lightweight carbon wheelsets move to lighter spokes to save the weight, as the savings aren't in the rims.

RSAmerica

If you notice, most of the lightweight carbon wheelsets move to lighter spokes to save the weight, as the savings aren't in the rims.

I have found that light spokes are used on carbon rims because the rims are much stronger and do not need heavy spokes. Also a light spoke is used for more compliance (better ride quality).

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have found that light spokes are used on carbon rims because the rims are much stronger and do not need heavy spokes. Also a light spoke is used for more compliance (better ride quality).

Is there an actual loss of strength going with lighter spokes? Spokes usually break at the nipple heads, not the taper where it's double or triple butted.

All the wheels I've personally built, I go with Sapim Laser as it adds almost not cost and I have yet to break a spoke. I'm also not very heavy.

Top Bottom