Saw bike mounts?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
After some very unsuccessful googling I was curious if anyone has any ideas for mounting a bow saw to the mountain bike. I have a 21” bow saw that I currently strap to my pack with JORBAnds. It’s a little weird while riding and I don’t know how I feel about crashing with a saw on my back. Anyone have any ideas other than buying a different type of saw?

I don’t want it all permanent, just for solo tree/branch removal like what is needed now on my local spots. I was thinking of strapping it to the bike with whatever I have laying around, but I know I’ll cut corners or something and end up with a saw on my leg or wrecking the paint.

All I have been able to find is chainsaw mounts for motorcycles.

Get a Sven Saw
(no, not my invention, but I have one)
1521071373721.png

You could also make sheath for the blade to make it “safe” during transport. Go to Home Depot and get like 1” vinyl tubing and slice it on one side then slide it over the blade. Although that Sven saw is pretty cool.

Off topic but experienced trail hacker @ReggieHammond was impressed with my Corona folder rs7245. Fits in a butt pack or Velcro to the frame.

Last edited:
Sawyering with Handsaws
I have not had much luck with Bow Saws (sven)..blade is too thin and binds easily.
The new saws with double row teeth ( silky, corona ..etc) are very efficient.
Just be careful out there....look closely at what you are clearing...there are trees bent over under great tension that can take your head off.
The order in which you cut things can be very important.
Leave the big stuff for the chainsaw crew.....
don't start a job you can't finish as you may be making it more unsafe then before.
Use proper form and body mechanics
Don't get impatient with the handsaw...if you are over doing it and your hand slips off the handle, you hand is going to get ripped up real bad..so consider a saw with the built in hand guard.

Here are some procedures to review:

https://www.fs.fed.us/about-agency/regulations-policies/saw-policy

Last edited:
I have the smaller Sven saw, bought it after Sandy but never got a whole lot of use from it. It's nice and sharp, but it is a bit flimsy as noted. The compact storage is a great feature. The silky saws do look pretty nice....

Back
Top Bottom