Santa Cruz Tallboy Pivot Bearing Replacement

bucknejo

Any DIY'ers doing full bearing replacements on upper and lower links for Tallboy version 1? I have a 2012 TB 1 carbon and want to keep it for a while (or as long as SC keeps the necessary replacement parts in stock).

Tools and a propack come to about $300 (pivot bolts, etc. need a refresher too). Am I a fool to attempt this procedure at home or should I just let the LBS handle it? I've pulled out the pivot axles on both links a couple times and tried to clean the bearings seated in the links, but there is at least one bearing on the upper link that's a little crunchy so I think it needs to be replaced.

Buying a completely new upper link with bearings pressed in already is like $125.

I ride 1 or 2x a week so I don't think the wear on the bearings is excessive and I'm guessing if I keep them clean, they can last up to 2 years or more.

Is it worth it to buy the tools and do it myself? Or am I going to break my bike, wallet, hands, et. al. to save a few bucks?

santa-cruz-tallboy-bearing-stuff.png

Attachments

• tallboy_carbon_overhaul_0.pdf
    488.6 KB · Views: 144

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Buying a completely new upper link with bearings pressed in already is like $125.
Doing this saves time and money. This is what I did when bearings needed replacement. You don't seem to wear bearings out that fast, so it doesn't really warrant spending close to $300 on tools and parts...imo.

bucknejo

Doing this saves time and money. This is what I did when bearings needed replacement. You don't seem to wear bearings out that fast, so it doesn't really warrant spending close to $300 on tools and parts...imo.

Thanks, makes sense. Some things are not worth the hassle.

Top Bottom