Santa Cruz Megatower

BPaze

It comes with a brake caliper spacer and new derailur hanger for the 2 different modes.You have to swap them out when you flip it. I think Gorilla Gravity bikes have some similar geometry swap outs on their bikes.
I think the GG you actually swap seat stays and there is a frame insert to completely change the head tube. But that allows you to change the bike substantially. They use 1 front triangle and you can make it 4 different bikes but it's a lot of parts

Dajerseyrat

I think the GG you actually swap seat stays and there is a frame insert to completely change the head tube. But that allows you to change the bike substantially. They use 1 front triangle and you can make it 4 different bikes but it's a lot of parts
Ahhh yes...it seemed like way more work that it was worth .

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I dont know if anyone noticed that SataCruz just snuck in a new bike in their lineup called the "MEGATOWER" which is supposed too fill the void between the Hightower LT and the Nomad and is marketed as a long travel 29er. It looks almost exactly like a Nomad and Bronson but besides the 29" wheels, it has a few cool tricks to it such as a "flip chip' that changes the geometry by 3mm giving more BB clearance, allegedly, as well as a flip chip in the rear chain stay that is supposed to increase wheelbase by 10mm.

The travel is at 160mm all around and it comes out in a nice murdered out black, which is refreshing to get away from their last years ugly ass colors of powder blue and that hideous tan olive drab nonsense..Whoever picked the colors for 2019 line up, needs their head examined IMO.

So far the reviews have been pretty positive on this bike and the pedaling uphill is supposed to be comparable to the Hightower LT.

Someone give me a reason why I dont need 2 bikes??

I guess if you like pedal feedback and getting hung up on rock ledges then, sure, add another bike to the quiver. On that note, if you’re going to be riding mostly for the downhills or racing enduro then the SC is a sweet ride.

Last edited:

Ian F

I guess if you like pedal feedback and getting hung up on rock ledges then, sure, add another bike to the quiver. On that note, if you’re going to be riding mostly for the downhills or racing enduro then the SC is a kinda a sweet ride.

The tester in the Bike mag review mentioned it has far less pedal feedback than the HT LT. I'm not sure what you are basing your VPP experience on, but my Intense Primer (VPP variation) doesn't feedback at all.

The MegaTower is killing me. I am literally staring at an unbuilt HT LT frame right now and all of the parts I've bought for it would fit onto the Mega. The MegaTower could also replace my DH bike, since I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever race DH seriously again and a 160mm travel 29er with a set of DH tires will be plenty capable for any DH trail I'm likely to attempt these days. Of course, if I buy the MegaTower, I get to add another frame to the growing pile of unbuilt frames I need to sell but don't want to deal with the aggravation of doing so. I also have a 2016 Tracer T275 sitting here. Brand new and unbuilt...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Ian F you have a serious problem
Not that I would hold an intervention for but one where you need to get all these frames built!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The tester in the Bike mag review mentioned it has far less pedal feedback than the HT LT. I'm not sure what you are basing your VPP experience on, but my Intense Primer (VPP variation) doesn't feedback at all.

The MegaTower is killing me. I am literally staring at an unbuilt HT LT frame right now and all of the parts I've bought for it would fit onto the Mega. The MegaTower could also replace my DH bike, since I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever race DH seriously again and a 160mm travel 29er with a set of DH tires will be plenty capable for any DH trail I'm likely to attempt these days. Of course, if I buy the MegaTower, I get to add another frame to the growing pile of unbuilt frames I need to sell but don't want to deal with the aggravation of doing so. I also have a 2016 Tracer T275 sitting here. Brand new and unbuilt...

The low Piviot design that they used here is in the Bronson that I’ve ridden for the last season. This change is apparent right away. The center of gravity is notably lower and the bike feels super planted and stable.

I rode the HT before this and I really enjoyed that too.

I’m a fan of the MT for sure but the name is so silly.

This bike is clearly postured to be the darling of the EWS guys. It climbs pretty well for the beast that it is, but when pointed downhill it’s likely as capable as some DH Bikes.

I’m eager to get more time on the MT soon, but personally I’ve become a fan of the more generous volume and slightly shorter 27plus size for most conditions.

I can’t see this as being most riders one and only bike, but one look st the SC lineup and it’s clear that they are making something for everyone.

What I will say is that our warranty rate for this brand is the lowest of any brand we’ve ever sold and as a bonus they replace pivot bearings for free for the original owner.

goldsbar

Scott Ransom would be equally ridiculous for 99% of NJ trails outside of Mountain Creek, but at least you have the twinloc system to bring the travel down to 100mm (or is it 120).

Captain Brainstorm

Frankly, for the money SC is asking for this bike, I would look at similar bikes like the Ibis Ripmo or Yeti SB150. I like those suspension design better. I rode the Ripmo, it was a tank of a bike, but the DW-Link suspension worked pretty well. Bike was big though, low-speed tech and technical climbs were not its thing. Never rode the SB150, but the 130 version was nice.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Of course, if I buy the MegaTower, I get to add another frame to the growing pile of unbuilt frames I need to sell but don't want to deal with the aggravation of doing so. I also have a 2016 Tracer T275 sitting here. Brand new and unbuilt...

I'm just throwing this out there but I have a garage with plenty of room for the Intense. Give it to me and I'll get it built up. I'll even make sure to put a lot of miles on it. Y'know, this way you don't feel like you wasted all that money on the frame. I'll let OP know how good (or not) the modern VPP design really is. :)

Last edited:

Ian F

After years of riding Intense bikes with frames named after guns, I take silly names for granted these days...

Eventually I'll get pictures of the Tracer taken and posted in the for sale section.

An "only bike" is tough one... for a number of years, I only had one full-squish bike: a 6" travel Yeti Lawwill with a 180mm travel Boxxer fork and the D3.1 tubeless DH wheels I had on my M-1. So I could totally see a MegaTower being pressed into "only bike" service. But in my case, it would be one of many bikes. And part of the reason I've procrastinated so long on building the HT LT is it overlaps so much with my current Primer. That said, one of the other comments made during the Bike mag test was how the one dude said that while it's definitely no epic-race bike, he could easily imagine doing all-day rides on it.

Dajerseyrat

The low Piviot design that they used here is in the Bronson that I’ve ridden for the last season. This change is apparent right away. The center of gravity is notably lower and the bike feels super planted and stable.

I rode the HT before this and I really enjoyed that too.

I’m a fan of the MT for sure but the name is so silly.

This bike is clearly postured to be the darling of the EWS guys. It climbs pretty well for the beast that it is, but when pointed downhill it’s likely as capable as some DH Bikes.

I’m eager to get more time on the MT soon, but personally I’ve become a fan of the more generous volume and slightly shorter 27plus size for most conditions.

I can’t see this as being most riders one and only bike, but one look st the SC lineup and it’s clear that they are making something for everyone.

What I will say is that our warranty rate for this brand is the lowest of any brand we’ve ever sold and as a bonus they replace pivot bearings for free for the original owner.
A few people said that I don't NEED nor does most of us, the 160mm travel. But then again most of us don't even NEED 130mm of travel. My desire for the additional travel is this. I'm a larger guy,225lbs with 2 beat up bad shoulders from years of abuse, and a bad back. The current Hightower I have with the 135/150 enables me to enjoy longer rides taking the abuse off my shoulders and lower back . I would think the more plush the bike the less my joints would have to absorb.

Last edited:

Frank

Sasquatch
A few people said that I don't NEED nor does most of us, the 160mm travel. But then again most of us don't even NEED 130mm of travel. My desire for the additional travel is this. I'm a larger guy,225lbs with 2 beat up bad shoulders from years of abuse, and a bad back. The current Hightower I have with the 135/150 enables me to enjoy longer rides taking the abuse off my shoulders and lower back . I would think the more plush the bike the less my joints would have to absorb.
I feel ya.....6'2" 235# and I normally ride a 160mm RFX around...even at Allaire. Depending on what i hit, I go through that travel and if I had the $$ I would buy a Megatower tomorrow. Do it, then let me try it. ;)

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Aye....people are just busting. You want that bike, buy that shit. These bikes are amazing nowadays.

rick81721

Lothar

How about this?

s1600_Rev_AT.jpg

w_b

That thing will not only bust your kneecaps, it will rip them right from your legs.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Aye....people are just busting. You want that bike, buy that shit. These bikes are amazing nowadays.
This.^

Long travel bikes today pedal much better than long travel bikes used to. I borrowed my friends S-Works Enduro once to ride Jungle and it rode better than my bike. It probably was, or at the very least felt, lighter than my bike. I'm sure the Ohlins suspension front and rear helped. I still prefer 120 as an all around travel though.

Also, Santa Cruz FTW.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

I don't need my 150mm travel YT...at all... but I have a ton of fun riding that thing. I only have the $$ for 1 mountain bike right now and that has me covered no matter where I ride. I rode Allaire last weekend and saw several coil sprung enduro weapons on the trails. Seemed overkill for Allaire but it also seemed like they were having an absolute blast.

Get what you want and ride the wheels off of it.

thegock

Quiver Filler

Full disclosure: I own two Stumpjumpers.

Jules wants to know if he should buy a Megatower. At least half the time I see a bike review, I think to myself that I could really use that bike, so I empathize.

My quiver consists of a crabon SC Tallboy 2 for less technical races; an alu Spec Fatboy with a Bluto for snow, beach, mud, etc; an aluminum long travel (150-160?) four year old Stumpy, which is my daily driver; and a 10 month old crabon Stumpjumper ST (130), which only gets out when there is not too much mud. This latter is the bike closest to the Hightower that I was considering last spring, when I bought it. Also have a CAAD 10 for road.

The FS bikes are definitely easier on my 64 year old back and shoulders than the Fatboy. Also, the LT Stumpy, which has 3” rubber is most comfortable. This is important to me, because I like to ride MTB a lot.

If I only owned the Stumpy ST, which is the closest in capabilities to Jules’ Hightower, then I might first want a FS fat bike for the conditions that I enumerated above, or a lighter race (depends in part how Jules, who is pretty strong, does in today’s Mayhem) bike before a LT like the Megatower, FWIW.

Dajerseyrat

Quiver Filler

Full disclosure: I own two Stumpjumpers.

Jules wants to know if he should buy a Megatower. At least half the time I see a bike review, I think to myself that I could really use that bike, so I empathize.

My quiver consists of a crabon SC Tallboy 2 for less technical races; an alu Spec Fatboy with a Bluto for snow, beach, mud, etc; an aluminum long travel (150-160?) four year old Stumpy, which is my daily driver; and a 10 month old crabon Stumpjumper ST (130), which only gets out when there is not too much mud. This latter is the bike closest to the Hightower that I was considering last spring, when I bought it. Also have a CAAD 10 for road.

The FS bikes are definitely easier on my 64 year old back and shoulders than the Fatboy. Also, the LT Stumpy, which has 3” rubber is most comfortable. This is important to me, because I like to ride MTB a lot.

If I only owned the Stumpy ST, which is the closest in capabilities to Jules’ Hightower, then I might first want a FS fat bike for the conditions that I enumerated above, or a lighter race (depends in part how Jules, who is pretty strong, does in today’s Mayhem) bike before a LT like the Megatower, FWIW.
Well I missed the Mayhem. Got out of work after 1am and got no sleep...Next time, didn't want my first race to be a miserable experience.

Top Bottom