Santa Cruz Flip chip & fork

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I was reading up on the flip chip and it says you "must" change to a 140 fork when switching to 29er wheels. Can anyone explain why this is? Is it strictly because of the geo or will the bike explode and burst into flames? I'm allergic to fire.

My bike is a Hightower and currently on 27.5 wheels and 150 fork.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It will probably chopper the fork a bit but the change in geo is so small, you can probably deal with it. However if it is a fox fork, the air shafts are pretty cheap and easy to install. I did my Factory 34 in like a half hour.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Nothing will happen. It just doesn't optimize the geo for wagon wheels. The wheelbase will be like 5mm shorter and if you're running 180mm cranks you might hit your foot.

I keep my Stumpy in the low BB setting with both wheel sizes.

qclabrat

If you are looking to switch back and forth you'll want a second fork. That being said all the bikes which use this as a selling point, but how many do it after settling on a tire size? The manufacturers are probably actually saving money from needing to retool for two frames

qclabrat

Nothing will happen. It just doesn't optimize the geo for wagon wheels. The wheelbase will be like 5mm shorter and if you're running 180mm cranks you might hit your foot.

I keep my Stumpy in the low BB setting with both wheel sizes.
Will the 27.5 fox fork fit 2.6 29r tires?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If you're serious about swapping wheels you buy the 29er version and then get a second set of 27.5 wheels. The smaller wheels will fit anywhere a 29er will but it's harder the other way around. 29er wheels are significantly larger than most will make them out to be.

Dajerseyrat

Another reason to buy a second bike in 29er.:p by the time you factor in the cost of a second equal quality for and a set of wheels, you're at a nice down payment for a decent 2018 leftover bike..I just dont see myself swapping forks or fork internals, nor do I see the need to go with a 29er wheel set at this point.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Another reason to buy a second bike in 29er.:p by the time you factor in the cost of a second equal quality for and a set of wheels, you're at a nice down payment for a decent 2018 leftover bike..I just dont see myself swapping forks or fork internals, nor do I see the need to go with a 29er wheel set at this point.
Trying to subscribe to N+1 but also starting to develop an expensive taste

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The Hightower has such a low. BB that running 29er w 150 up front is a slight advantage when it comes to pedal strikes.

We are talking about 1cm here. Not a big deal really.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have have a number of bike things that have been "convertible" and in practice, it is always cumbersome to change, whatever it is. A second wheelset is a realistic and easy switch as if flipping the flip chip. But are you really going to change a fork out when you want to convert it?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I have have a number of bike things that have been "convertible" and in practice, it is always cumbersome to change, whatever it is. A second wheelset is a realistic and easy switch as if flipping the flip chip. But are you really going to change a fork out when you want to convert it?
Getting a 29er wheel set for my HT and didn't understand why SC would recommend a different travel fork.
I'm too poor to get another fork but trying to get some education.

Mtbdog

Getting a 29er wheel set for my HT and didn't understand why SC would recommend a different travel fork.
I gotta believe it's about geometry with front end rake and trail #'s. How it affects handling.?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

It’s all about getting a very close feel when switching between 29er and 27plus.

Top Bottom