Santa Cruz 5010

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I actually have Jays Old Hightower, and have to agree that the only negative thing on that bike is the pedal strikes on the technical rock climbs if you're not timing your pedal strokes properly. The Hightower is more than enough bike for me on all of the trails I have ridden, it climbs like a mountain goat and handles the chunky stuff like a champ. The larger footprint tires 3"0 front and 2.8" rear offer awesome grip and some extra trail dampening. I just switched over to the Maxxis DHFII and DHR in 2.8" all around and will see how that handles when I can get back out on the bike. But I LOVE my Santa cruz. I do with I had the LT but a selling point that would stop me from buying it would be them not offering 27+ on it in stock form. I can fit 29" wheels on my bike now if I choose to do so, but I find the 27+ are more forgiving and let you make more relaxed line choices.

I also demod the Bronson, and will give it an A+ on descending the chunk, it leaves a little to be desired on the climbs and feels like your lugging a really big bike around uphill. The HT was way more nimble uphills and gives the Bronson a solid run on the downhills.

I never thought I would be a Santa Cruz AND carbon fiber fan boy,in fact I held out and fought Jay tooth and nail over going carbon, but here I am.... PS I actually was gonna buy the 5010 but then Jays old bike came up on the auction block.
Just put on 29er on my Hightower and only did a short ride but i think pedal strikes are a thing of the past.

Dajerseyrat

Just put on 29er on my Hightower and only did a short ride but i think pedal strikes are a thing of the past.
I was tempted, but I love my 2.8 wide tires. I think you can only go 2.4 max on the 29ers right? Also did you do the swap to your fork to go from 150 to 160?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I was tempted, but I love my 2.8 wide tires. I think you can only go 2.4 max on the 29ers right? Also did you do the swap to your fork to go from 150 to 160?
I put on schwalbe 2.35 but there are some room in there. I think 29er HT from SC are spec'ed with 2.3

Left the fork as is at 150

qclabrat

Don't you go with less front travel when you switch to 29 wheels? I believe, i've seen that with other bikes.

Dajerseyrat

Don't you go with less front travel when you switch to 29 wheels? I believe, i've seen that with other bikes.
I thought it was somewhere you go from 150 ton160nfor BB clearance height after switching the "flipbchip". I could be wrong however.

THATmanMANNY

@stb222 No idea either! Can we ride? it's been like 8 years?
I remember when I got my first FS bike a couple years after I started. Totally transformed my riding 180 degrees. You took waaay too long.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
@stb222 No idea either! Can we ride? it's been like 8 years?
I remember when I got my first FS bike a couple years after I started. Totally transformed my riding 180 degrees. You took waaay too long.
you ever ride early? Would ride sourlands early with you. Or 6 mile.

Top Bottom