sandy hook beach is closed to bikes

I just read the whole thing and for the life of me I dont see how it can be interpreted that riding on the beach is permitted at Sandy Hook.

now why the rangers would feel the need to ticket someone for riding a bike on a frozen, deserted beach in February is another matter all together.

I would suggest you send this to them and explain your interpretation and see if they agree. but I think it says quite the opposite.

sometimes a hammer is not the best tool for the job. tread lightly, bring people in, make your case based on some parallel activity or other documented decision. no need to do this alone when a well a well thought out plan, with the weight of an advocacy group could get it done at a high level.

pulling out rules is an operational approach, and works well when engaged - assuming a polite and non-aggressive exchange -

gl - i am glad that you peeps are working it - please start with an overall plan - seems that there is some good knowledge that can be tapped.

sometimes a hammer is not the best tool for the job. tread lightly, bring people in, make your case based on some parallel activity or other documented decision. no need to do this alone when a well a well thought out plan, with the weight of an advocacy group could get it done at a high level.

pulling out rules is an operational approach, and works well when engaged - assuming a polite and non-aggressive exchange -

gl - i am glad that you peeps are working it - please start with an overall plan - seems that there is some good knowledge that can be tapped.
Exactly. I think it's best that JORBA represents us best as a community.

I can certainly appreciate everyones "passion" coming out with regards to this topic. But we must remain civil when communicating our feelings to representatives of Sandy Hook and if we are to gain any forward momentum we must do our best to not be dismissed as confrontational....especially if the Superintendent has the power to effect change.

I live about two miles from Gateway headquarters in Fort Wadsworth. Yesterday I went there to see who I could talk to for some clarification. Neither the Superintendent nor the Deputy Superintendent was in, but I spoke to their secretary for a little while. She gave me the contact info for the Unit Leader of Sandy Hook. I emailed him today and he called me a few minutes later. We spoke briefly and he told me he is going to look into the issue and get back to me tomorrow and we'll talk some more. He seems like a really nice guy. I'll keep everyone up to date.

I live about two miles from Gateway headquarters in Fort Wadsworth. Yesterday I went there to see who I could talk to for some clarification. Neither the Superintendent nor the Deputy Superintendent was in, but I spoke to their secretary for a little while. She gave me the contact info for the Unit Leader of Sandy Hook. I emailed him today and he called me a few minutes later. We spoke briefly and he told me he is going to look into the issue and get back to me tomorrow and we'll talk some more. He seems like a really nice guy. I'll keep everyone up to date.
Good stuff Ted! No one there has gotten back to me yet, but I haven't been able to do it by phone or personal visit either. Good luck!

Also for the record the secretary told me she is completely unaware of any restrictions on bikes anywhere else in Gateway (except of course for where it's posted.) I know most of you guys are in Jersey but it's good news for me...

As per Pete McCarthy, Sandy Hook Unit Leader- bikes are not permitted on the beach at Sandy Hook, that's how he is interpreting the rules.

He did imply that the Superintendent had the power to change the rules though. However if no bikes on the beach is only being enforced in Sandy Hook, I would think it's either his decision or the head of the Rangers who are in charge of law enforcement there.

Also in our correspondence I specifically referred to only ocean beaches, not all beaches, and he did not correct me. So there's that...

I think that maybe an official dialogue between Gateway and the relevant organizations could change this policy in some way for the better. The folks in charge there seem like professional, approachable people.

Let me ask this, how many times in the past, before the great fat bike explosion, have you needed to ride in the sand, on the beach, at Sandy Hook? There is plenty of coast line elsewhere to ride.

Sandy Hook is a pretty nice area to ride with a load of stuff to see. Yes, there are other beaches to ride but I know my local beach pales in comparison. I would still fight to ride there and will if anyone ever returns my emails.

I guess it's like the 29er or Cross explosion, most don't understand until they ride one.

I guess it's like the 29er or Cross explosion, most don't understand until they ride one.

It's a bike. I'm not sure how people don't understand "riding a new bike is fun". It's kinda like going through the kama sutra and being like, "I won't like that...or that...or that..."

This has nothing to do with the naked beach thing. I swear.

Back
Top Bottom