sandy hook beach is closed to bikes

ktmrider

I peeled away from work to hit the hook on my fat boy , While out on the beach i was pulled over be a ranger and she had told me to exit the beach , that bicycles are not allowed on the beach and they were told last week to start issuing tickets . So be aware ! I wasn't given a summons and even she admitted that it was a stupid law . But due to the increase of bikes they are going to start enforcing it .

ktmrider

I asked about the birds , she said its a law and it will be enforced from this point , she also said to contact Ellen Axel about it . I have no idea who she is .

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm assuming they ban bikes due to the Piping Plover which is on the endangered species list.
"National Parks are required by law to give up space for endangered and threatened species. Employees, volunteers and interns stand guard on protected beaches from mid-March to September".
Its unfortunate that bikes are not allowed at this time however if the parks don't take a stand to protect these birds they will be lost. The rest of the Jersey shore which is privately owned have taken over the birds natural habitat.
Hopefully we'll be able to get out on the trails soon when they dry up.

Here is more info on the Piping Plover.
http://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/nature/piping-plovers.htm

Fat Trout

I was there this past weekend. They had all of the piping plover areas marked off very clearly above the high tide line. There was no conflict with bikers in that regard. Plenty of foot traffic by others using the beach

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've been yelled at there in the past. I just jump in somewhere else and continue on. I also avoid riding there on busy weekends during the summer, stay along the bay, there's plenty to ride.

SmooveP

Well, that sucks. Sandy Hook is one of my go to spots when the trails are muddy. Is this rule posted anywhere? I've never been hassled, and have stopped and talked to rangers mid-ride.

Frank

Sasquatch
I tried to get hold of someone who knows all the details but didn't get far. I have a name and number of someone who should know all the details and I will post my findings after I talk with her. So far I have found out that the beaches are closed off for the Piping Plover for ALL users from March 15th until Sept. 15th. , but the person I spoke with was unsure of the rest of the year. Reason for full beach closure was that the Plovers bring their young to the surf to feed and nest in the dunes. That's all I got so far.....

RobW

I reached out to the gateway national park on facebook. They had no recollection but was going to inquire within.

huffster

So far I have found out that the beaches are closed off for the Piping Plover for ALL users from March 15th until Sept. 15th.

I guess I'm glad I got my adventure in a few weeks back. But, something doesn't add up. How can Sandy Hook beaches be closed from March thru September? Where will all the nudists go? Unless we are just talking about the northern tip. It will be interesting to hear what you learn.

Frank

Sasquatch
Nudists love the northern tip.

Perv ;)

I guess I'm glad I got my adventure in a few weeks back. But, something doesn't add up. How can Sandy Hook beaches be closed from March thru September? Where will all the nudists go? Unless we are just talking about the northern tip. It will be interesting to hear what you learn.

One of the other posters mentioned a closed off section, I guess that's what the guy on the phone was referring to.

wonderturtle

Something is missing here. Why is te beach only off limits to bikers? You get people on the beach all year long! Walkers, people walking their dogs, guys with metal detectors!

Does this ban apply to the entire beach or just certain designated areas?

And, are they only banning cyclists?!?!

Frank

Sasquatch
Well I just got off the phone with one of the secretaries there and it's not good news. As it turns out, cycling has never been permitted on the beaches due to the Code of Federal regulations (it is a National Park) and only foot traffic is allowed with the exception of government vehicles. I guess they never bothered enforcing it until fat biking got so big. As of right now, even foot traffic is not allowed due to the Piping Plovers. Next step is a letter to the Superintendent and our Congressmen.

gtluke

The Moped
Doesn't matter, one of the very first thing that Obama did in office was re-ban bicycles in all federal parks. No matter what the local superninendo wants.

Kaleidopete

As it turns out, cycling has never been permitted on the beaches due to the Code of Federal regulations (it is a National Park) and only foot traffic is allowed with the exception of government vehicles.
Now, become a park volunteer and offer to "patrol" the beaches on your bike.

Top Bottom