San Francisco, CA

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Hey guys. I'm heading out to San Fran for a wedding this summer and i was wondering if anyone had any shop/trail/guide/rental recommendations. Any info would help. I'll be staying in the downtown/union square area but i'm looking to get up into Marin to ride. Thanks.

rlb

Did you check out the MTBR NORCAL board? I thought there was a huge San Fran thread there but I can't find it after a quick search.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Just got back and rode an awesome place south of the city called El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve (aka Skeggs Point). "Hills" there are a bit bigger than NJ hills. The trails werent too technical but nice and flowy. Pacific Bikes in downtown San Fran is a sweet shop too. Very nice and helpful.

Dr Superb

Sorry, not much help here, but the only thing I do know is that I have a buddy that lives/rides here, and when he posts to Strava, his whole road ride is like 40 segments, it ridiculous. Theres a new one every .4 miles...

THATmanMANNY

Not biking specific but I am looking for recommendations for places or areas to stay. Traveling with wife and child.

Easy access to beach and views for the week would be cool. Can be house, condo, apt, hotel, whatever. We will also, be there for July 4th so want to see fireworks. Ask you friends and family for me. Thanks

rlb

My wife and I have stayed in SF 3 times in the Lower Pacific Heights area. It's very central and you can walk to nearly every part of the city from there (which we have). Not super close to the beach but there's also not much of a beach as we know it anyway (i.e. I don't think people really go in the water).

Hotels:
Queen Anne - Victorian style, not very new or flashy but clean enough
Monte Cristo Inn - Same vibe as Queen Anne but B&B with good breakfast food and very friendly staff. Least expensive but it's also a little more "out of the way" (i.e. you need to walk a few blocks for anything)
Kimpton Buchanan - More of a traditional hotel vibe, not sure how it is now because it's been re-branded since I was last there.
SFHotels.png

THATmanMANNY

We rented a house off VRBO a few blocks east of 'Lombard Street' close to Columbus Ave. Walked mostly everywhere in that area. We did so much. Alcatrez, Fireworks, Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Giants game, Palace of Fine Arts, list goes on

Then we rented a house in Sunset. It was awesome. Very local thing to do and the food was great in Sunset area. Toddler loved the beach for getting her feet wet.

Ate good food everywhere we went. Don't think we had any american food.
Uber in SFO rocks.

What a neat city you can enjoy over and over.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

Sounds like a fun trip, can't wait to go back myself. Next visit will be with the diaper monster. Though I'll be nervous to take a 5hr flight as her first one.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds like a fun trip, can't wait to go back myself. Next visit will be with the diaper monster. Though I'll be nervous to take a 5hr flight as her first one.
This is a first that I have heard this. Congrats on a baby girl...

rlb

This is a first that I have heard this. Congrats on a baby girl...

Thanks man! I haven't been so vocal about it here, guess that's where the blog thread comes in handy. If I did have a blog thread it would look something like this:

Making excuses for not riding
Wife is pregnant
Wife has baby
Trying to figure out how to make excuses to go ride

THATmanMANNY

thanks. Yes it was! Busy but fun! My girl is 2 1/2. It was her first flight. Wasn't bad at that age. A stash of lollipops and mini starbursts for the air pressurization. Although I would invest in some ear plugs a mommy on the plane tipped us on.

Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom